Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car taking 10-15 seconds to turn on sometimes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ususally I walk up to the car, the handles present, I sit down, press the brake and can immediately put it in Reverse or Drive and be on my way. I've noticed sometimes when I sit down,the driver's screen is black - and takes a good 10 seconds to start up, and another three-five seconds before I can put it in gear and go. Anyone else?

That's what's bugging me. I get a TON of vampire drain (~5 miles in 12h) even though I had power savings on :-(

First try rebooting both screens to see if that helps (first step for any kind of unwanted behaviour). Then check the 12V battery. If it's weak it could cause the car to wake more frequently to keep it charged (This hasn't been verified, but it makes sense).

First try rebooting both screens to see if that helps (first step for any kind of unwanted behaviour). Then check the 12V battery. If it's weak it could cause the car to wake more frequently to keep it charged (This hasn't been verified, but it makes sense).
My car has been rebooted so often in the two weeks I've owned it, it's not even funny, Jerry.
The mirror issue. The TACC issue. The Bluetooth issue.
And a week 12V battery less than a month after production was completed? Yeah, that would be icing on the cake with everything else going on... :-(

My car has been rebooted so often in the two weeks I've owned it, it's not even funny, Jerry.
The mirror issue. The TACC issue. The Bluetooth issue.
And a week 12V battery less than a month after production was completed? Yeah, that would be icing on the cake with everything else going on... :-(

Wow! I've had few problems with mine in two years. I don't even reboot all that often. 12V batteries are the weak link of every car that has a large battery. They're needed for safety so that the main pack can be disconnected when the car is off, and they stabilize the 12V system so that you don't go through 12V accessories, but they tend to not last all that long, discharge easily, and fail without warning (The Model S now gives an alert in the newer software releases, so it's better than some).

Wow! I've had few problems with mine in two years. I don't even reboot all that often. 12V batteries are the weak link of every car that has a large battery. They're needed for safety so that the main pack can be disconnected when the car is off, and they stabilize the 12V system so that you don't go through 12V accessories, but they tend to not last all that long, discharge easily, and fail without warning (The Model S now gives an alert in the newer software releases, so it's better than some).
Tell me about it. I had the 12V in my 60 replaced THREE TIMES in 19 months.

This is not a power savings issue. I noticed this issue about a month ago with power saving off. It followed a firmware update. Screen reboots made no difference. I brought it up to the SC and they didn't have any other suggestions. There was one seemingly odd common denominator. It liked to do it in the worst parts of town where i would want to just get in and drive the most. I did do a bug report after each incident immediately following. Latest visit to SC had them reflashing the same version of FW as SOP. Had not done it since but I'll try to remember to report back if it does.

Ususally I walk up to the car, the handles present, I sit down, press the brake and can immediately put it in Reverse or Drive and be on my way. I've noticed sometimes when I sit down,the driver's screen is black - and takes a good 10 seconds to start up, and another three-five seconds before I can put it in gear and go. Anyone else?

Was it cold (like below freezing)? I have found that the center console can stay dark for many seconds if it is very cold when I get in the car.

For what it's worth I have the same trouble. Sometimes during my morning Starbucks run I come back and the car is online as soon as I hit the door handle. Other times it takes the 10-20 seconds to come to life.

Pull it out of the garage to move some crap around, go to pull it back in: cold-boot. It's very odd the times it decides to "sleep"...

Yes, If you don't like the sleep mode you can turn it off in the settings page.

Not anymore :(

Sleep mode "Off" now only means off during the day. At night it goes into sleep mode whether you want it to or not.

sleepmode.png

This was changed with one of the 6.1 updates and since then I've had a few occasions late at night where the car takes a while to boot or the remote app takes a long time to connect

Yeah, Tesla is taking stabs at trying to reduce vampire loads thereby reducing charge cycles on the 12v in hopes to make them last longer. Personally I think they're trying some quick and rather crude steps... There are much more fine grained and elegant ways to reduce consumption. I get the feeling Tesla just hasn't set this as a priority yet.

Yeah, Tesla is taking stabs at trying to reduce vampire loads thereby reducing charge cycles on the 12v in hopes to make them last longer. Personally I think they're trying some quick and rather crude steps... There are much more fine grained and elegant ways to reduce consumption. I get the feeling Tesla just hasn't set this as a priority yet.
First you get it to work, then you get it to work correctly, then you make it fast. I believe they are somewhere between #1 and #2.

Not anymore :(

Sleep mode "Off" now only means off during the day. At night it goes into sleep mode whether you want it to or not.

I'm starting to hate how many features in the car depends on having a 9a-5p, 5 days a week job.

My work & sleep schedule is absolutely fluid. There is no way to predict it (I also can't use a thermostat timer).

I understand for 90% of people this may work, but as for the rest - please give us overrides!

@deonb my work schedule is also very irregular but I think the new features targeted at those with predictable schedules are just fine. It's not all about you and I. And we have all received great new features since buying our cars.

To his point though, it's quite annoying when technology is trying to be "intelligent" but gets it way wrong. Remember Clippy in Word? At least you could disable his "help"...