Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ending "Tire Anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
It's great that the coming OTA update will cure "range anxiety" but what about "tire anxiety"!!! The software wizards at Tesla can make the car drive itself but can't tell us what the tire pressure is in the tires .... I hope that we get a cure soon and add a dummy light for rotating the tires while you're at it and oh ya, how about APA (auto pothole avoidance). :wink:

The solution is simple. Sell your hulking behemoth and get a Roadster. It will tell you the tire pressure in each tire all day long. Yeah, I don't know why they went backwards on the Model S.

And believe me, when you are in a Roadster, you automatically avoid all the potholes. Ugh. (The car seems to be fine after hitting them, but man does it make a nasty noise).

If they had temp and pressure capabilities in the roadster why oh why can't they roll that out in the Model S! Elon can you hear me....

@jcaspar Using a tire gauge is like using paper maps for Nav!

@ChadS I've had Roadster loaners and while lots of fun, after hitting a few pot holes and butt fatigue after 60 mins of driving, I'll stick with my "hulking behemoth."

I used to go on a lot of road trips in the Roadster, and I was happy with the ride. Until I got a Model S...yeah, now I don't want to take road trips in the Roadster anymore.

The Model S has about a zillion practical advantages, but yeah the tire pressure thing is one way I appreciate the Roadster.

I wish both cars could watch the tires for inside wear; I've been surprised before as I checked the tires and thought I was fine, but because the car is so low I only really saw the outside but the inside was totally worn out...

This is one thing I don't miss about my P85!

After 7K miles the rear insides of the tires (on staggered wheels) were completely destroyed! Bald insides but the rest of the tire had plenty of tread left. Complete garbage. Hopefully this isn't an issue on my new P85D.

This is one thing I don't miss about my P85!

After 7K miles the rear insides of the tires (on staggered wheels) were completely destroyed! Bald insides but the rest of the tire had plenty of tread left. Complete garbage. Hopefully this isn't an issue on my new P85D.

That is an alignment issue. The tires had toe-out rather than toe in.

That is an alignment issue. The tires had toe-out rather than toe in.

Maybe you should call the Tesla service center and speak to the techs that aligned it twice to factory specs, or the various other people with same exact issue as you seem to know the solution to the problem..? Also, it would be a negative camber issue not a toe problem.

Maybe you should call the Tesla service center and speak to the techs that aligned it twice to factory specs, or the various other people with same exact issue as you seem to know the solution to the problem..? Also, it would be a negative camber issue not a toe problem.

1. Camber exacerbates any other alignment problem (similar to how speed exacerbates damage in a collision even though it doesn't cause the collision). Obviously if you have less negative camber you will get better wear because it will be less sensitive to the other factors.

2. Tesla has changed their alignment specs several times, so it depends on which "factory specs" they are using.

3. They use alignment machines which can be programmed wrong or can be out of calibration.

4. They are, in general, doing a better job than they were a year ago.

5. The only way to really solve the problem is to get adjustable linkage and use either a reputable frame alignment shop or one that specializes in race cars. Those places typically have people that actually understand alignment. Note that there are some Tesla Service Centre personnel that understand alignment, but they are constrained by head office in what they can do.

And yes, my Service Centre knows how I feel about this.

I had my car aligned four times in 2013, twice in 2014 and once in 2015. The most recent alignment was this past January and was the best one so far. Our local service center replaced the alignment bench they had in 2014 with a newer and better one. Service manager said it was the best one they could buy. I asked them to lean towards more toe-in on the front and rear, but within Tesla specs, to aid straightline stability. My car feels much more stable than it did after the prior alignments.

Tire anxiety is getting low pressure warning on a road trip, not having a spare, and wondering whether you simply need a top up or something more serious going on. Added to my fun yesterday while eking out the last of my juice on the way to the Brattleboro SC.

Tire anxiety is getting low pressure warning on a road trip, not having a spare, and wondering whether you simply need a top up or something more serious going on. Added to my fun yesterday while eking out the last of my juice on the way to the Brattleboro SC.

Happened to me on a trip from California the Denver was a total false alarm!

2. Tesla has changed their alignment specs several times, so it depends on which "factory specs" they are using.

Is my understanding Tesla has not changed alignment specifications. That sometime in 2013 completely wrong never right for anyone specs got in the Hunter database. And Hunter equipment is used at the factory. So everyone got an exact alignment to the wrong specs, over and over again starting at the factory until the problem was found. Problem was fixed by the time my 85 was built in December 2013. At 13k miles my 19" tires are wearing very evenly.

It shouldn't be hard to find the correct numbers for alignment on this site to verify whoever is doing your alignment is using the correct specs.

Years ago an idiot at Firestone aligned my 1986 VW Golf ti 1984 VW Rabbit specs. It was a fright to drive in the rain.