Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking we're a spoiled bunch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I listen to all the nit picks and in part I would agree just because the car is pretty expensive so there should be some pretty high expectations. But, on the way home I happened to pass an i3. which I'm sure can get close to a base S in cost with the right options. Astheticaly I sort of like it in it's "different" sort of way. Any way after passing I looked in my rear view and it hit me, we have a "real" car in every sense of the word, where all these others are something less. The first thing I noticed when I looked back were the tires, they were so thin it looked like it was running on wagon wheels. The rest of the EV's aren't any different. Then you through in the Super Charger network, there's no comparison. Just my observations, the list just goes on.

It's not like they threw on thin tires for the hell of it. Your range would go up quite a bit if you ran narrower tires but that would compromise safety. They can get away with it because they have substantially less mass. As in, they weigh a literal ton less than the Model S.

There's always compromises. I too like that the Model S is essentially indistinguishable from a "normal" car to a random passer-by, but given the huge price differential ($30k different, an additional 75% over an i3 base-to-base), you have to expect some compromises, IMO. Unfortunately that currently means manufacturers are locked into the standard 2-box design in order to make compact vehicles while maximizing interior space. Things will improve.

Hate to say, but there's so many threads I start reading, and then just close, never to get to the end. Of course, I don't have my MS yet (Next Wed!!!) but I just can't get over the complaints from some on such simple things! I guess I felt like we all knew what we were getting into, no? As an IT consultant, I do a lot of beta testing on software that I paid (dearly) for. Happy to do it. I enjoy doing it! Obviously I don't want a real "crash" at 60 mph or to be without my systems, but. . . I basically know what I'm getting into and have no problem with it.

With that said, it doesn't mean I won't offer up my CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions and such to Tesla to make the car better, but I'm not going to cry about it just because and offer nothing up in return.

It's not like they threw on thin tires for the hell of it. Your range would go up quite a bit if you ran narrower tires but that would compromise safety. They can get away with it because they have substantially less mass. As in, they weigh a literal ton less than the Model S.

There's always compromises. I too like that the Model S is essentially indistinguishable from a "normal" car to a random passer-by, but given the huge price differential ($30k different, an additional 75% over an i3 base-to-base), you have to expect some compromises, IMO. Unfortunately that currently means manufacturers are locked into the standard 2-box design in order to make compact vehicles while maximizing interior space. Things will improve.
i3 starts at 45 but quicly gets above 50.

Hate to say, but there's so many threads I start reading, and then just close, never to get to the end. Of course, I don't have my MS yet (Next Wed!!!) but I just can't get over the complaints from some on such simple things! I guess I felt like we all knew what we were getting into, no? As an IT consultant, I do a lot of beta testing on software that I paid (dearly) for. Happy to do it. I enjoy doing it! Obviously I don't want a real "crash" at 60 mph or to be without my systems, but. . . I basically know what I'm getting into and have no problem with it.

With that said, it doesn't mean I won't offer up my CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions and such to Tesla to make the car better, but I'm not going to cry about it just because and offer nothing up in return.

Agree 100%

Exactly, kinda hypocritical how people laught about those tires and meanwhile complain that evil government prevents the Model X from getting those efficient side mirror cameras...

The i3 does confuse me quite a bit though because the cost difference between a decently equipped i3 and and a near absolute-baseline Model S60 isn't that tremendous--to me, I can't find many differences between an i3 and a Leaf that would explain the 13k+ price gap.

I'll eventually buy a Model III, but right now my economical EV of choice (smart) is $430 down and $139 a month to lease, with zero state incentives. I figure a low-range EV has little need for heavy cargo space (no long trips), as you'd almost certainly have to pull out an ICE or a rental over a Leaf or i3 on longer trips. I can lease both an ICE and an EV simultaneously for less than the price of an i3. Can anyone tell me what's so appealing about the i3, at its price range?

It's crazy how Tesla has all this pressure on them to not just be a good car company, not just be a great car company but to be BETTER THAN ANY CAR EVER MADE, even companies that have been around for 100 years! It's also crazy how in my mind, they have basically done it. But they have so much scrutiny on them, I just find it ridiculous. One of my pet peeves is when people say "well my 1998 Volvo whatever had this feature, why doesn't TESLA??" And I'm just thinking, why does it matter what gimicky feature your car had when it lacked hundreds of others that Tesla does have?? Yes it would be cool if Tesla had every feature under the sun, but I don't blame Tesla for prioritizing certain things when they're this new of a company.

Also, I'm all for constructive criticism but there are some posters on TMC whose posts I just roll my eyes at and do my damnedest to hold my tongue. Some people just come off so ENTITLED and whiny. Drives me crazy.

Having had an EV1 growing up in the 1990s, loving it to death and then having it ripped away from us was seriously traumatizing. We still have the EV1 charger in our driveway at my family's house in CA, we just couldn't bear to have it removed. I had grown up thinking EVs were forever dead and there would never be another one, I'm just in constant AWE of what Tesla has done. PERSPECTIVE, PEOPLE!

Tesla also doesn't rest on their laurels. If something needs work, they put effort in and they get it over time. They may "over promise", but IMO they also over deliver, if that makes sense. They may get some rollout dates wrong, but I'd prefer that than some company that hides everything from their fans until a week before, like Apple. They actually pay attention to our feedback and they do awesome, nerdy, fanservice things like easter eggs and geek references. They've changed the way people buy cars, they've massively upped the standard for infotainment systems and OTA updates, they've created an amazing infrastructure of Superchargers all by themselves, they've made the safest car on the road, they've revolutionized the entire EV industry and probably changed the course of history and people STILL WHINE.

Thanks for making this thread OP and giving me an opportunity to vent, lol.

Very spoiled and loving it. Ended up talking to a guy last night at Altitude (Gaslamp Marriott, San Diego - gorgeous views) and he noticed I was checking out the end of range anxiety announcement on TMC - instant Tesla time :) I got to brag that my two year old car is a limited edition classic that is still getting upgraded. He insisted he couldn't drive it because then he would buy it. He is from Ohio, had noticed how many MSs are in CA, and thought they are gorgeous cars (totally agree!!) Then he said he researched and bought his last car based on driver reviews. I am hoping he checks out this forum for himself ... If so, Hi! When is your delivery date!?!?

Agree with everything said and even with all the nit picky things that have been talked about it still is the most incredible car in every way. Call me a fanboy, but when you look at this company in perspective ie: start up revolutionary and still in business creating something that has never been created before I still pinch myself almost 2 years later that I have this car in my garage. I will give Tesla lots of slack because of what they are trying to do, I do not care how much I paid for it and I know that in the end Tesla and Elon have a vision for the future that will be good for everyone. Even though everyone may not know it!

Thanks ecarfan, anyone who says anything good about my postings deserves some tastings of Ravenwood Zin's. If you ever get to Sonoma let me know and we can taste some Single Vineyard Zin's. Pm me if you will be in the area and want to do a tasting. Oh, are we spoiled, I think in many ways.