Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran into this guy today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my quest to identify the lowest and highest EL plates in the state, I pulled up behind this on my way home from work. Initially I was perplexed and thought that it was a plate transfer or a joke, but then I realized it was an electric Ford Ranger. I wish I could have talked to him some more, but I was on a time table.

02c134ea88c58267ad3050197dde3d2c.jpg

Interesting. I thought Illinois EL plates were only available for specific makes and models of vehicles - when I got my plate, the Sec'y of State office told me that they had a list of qualified makes/models.

As for Cullerton's "1 EL" plate, that was a political favor for him from White's office. The EL plate program was available before the Tesla Model S was available, but Illinois hadn't handed anything out less than 3 digits. Officially, Illinois started with 101 EL for mere mortals like us. There's a long history of Illinois' low-number license plates being traded for money and political favors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dre78
Ford indeed created such a vehicle---and leased quite a few of them. It was a rear wheel drive pickup that competed with the front wheel drive Chevrolet S10-EV. I believe it had a Seimens electric motor and inverter. They were one of the few vehicles (like the Rav4-EV) that were sold to leaseholders if they wanted them after the lease expired. Unlike the GM EV-1 mess, Ford finally agreed to sell the vehicles. They were powered by Panasonic EV-95 NiMH batteries and therefore it is why you still see these "Antiques" on the road.

Ford indeed created such a vehicle---and leased quite a few of them. It was a rear wheel drive pickup that competed with the front wheel drive Chevrolet S10-EV. I believe it had a Seimens electric motor and inverter. They were one of the few vehicles (like the Rav4-EV) that were sold to leaseholders if they wanted them after the lease expired. Unlike the GM EV-1 mess, Ford finally agreed to sell the vehicles. They were powered by Panasonic EV-95 NiMH batteries and therefore it is why you still see these "Antiques" on the road.

Interesting. I thought the only ones were converted. That explains how he got the EV plates, then - it was a production EV.

There were a few S10s that escaped the EV-1 fiasco. I saw one in a parking lot in Santa Clara, Ca about 8 years ago. I wonder if any are still around?

And yeah - Illinois does have a somewhat sordid history WRT the low license plate number game. A relative of mine played that game for years. Got into the teens on his motorcycle. Apparently members of some Harley club got all the single digit plates.

Reactions: Dre78