Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing power s60 vs s85 vs p85 etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of videos and hoopla about 0-60 times of the Model S and those quick bursts are super impressive and fun. However, I'm interested less in winning stop light challenges and more in safe passing on two lane back roads and accelerating around slow poke freeway drivers, on ramp merging etc. I'd love to see a comparison of 30-60 and 60-80 stats instead for the various iterations of S's. Does anyone have these or any anecdotal comments on the topic? Thank you.

Passing power of 30-60:

85 vs P85 = Noticeable difference in power, worth the upgrade
P85 vs P85D = Very similar/many people wouldn't notice a difference

Passing power of 60-80:

85 vs P85 = Very slight difference
P85 vs P85D = Not much difference

0-60 Power:

85 vs P85 = BIG difference
P85 vs P85D = MASSIVE difference

85 vs P85D = GINORMOUSSSSSS DIFFERENCE

Those are based on my experiences with various Teslas, and my own P85 and P85D

Motor Trend tested both P85 and S85, same testing procedure

PASSING, 45-65 MPH
1.9 seconds for S85, 1.9 seconds for P85

both wicked fast, even faster than you expect because of lack of ICE car lag. This is what counts in the real world, not 0 to 60 mph illegal drag racing which will land you in a lot of trouble. If a fatal accident results you will be spending years in prison -vehicular homicide

This is what counts in the real world, not 0 to 60 mph illegal drag racing which will land you in a lot of trouble. If a fatal accident results you will be spending years in prison -vehicular homicide

DebbieDowner.png

I was given a demo of the P85D's insane acceleration a few weeks ago. At the risk of being banished from this forum, I honestly didn't feel much difference from my P85. I already think the P85 is pretty insane at full throttle, so a little more insane is probably lost on me. I also find the P85's passing power to be amazing. I have no trouble passing other V8 and V12 cars. Maybe if I were to race another car above 60 MPH I may feel differently, but that's not something I would ever do.

won't notice a difference? the P85D walks away from the P85 easily......

from a roll with the P85 getting a head start...

from a stop

Passing power of 30-60:

85 vs P85 = Noticeable difference in power, worth the upgrade
P85 vs P85D = Very similar/many people wouldn't notice a difference

Passing power of 60-80:

85 vs P85 = Very slight difference
P85 vs P85D = Not much difference

0-60 Power:

85 vs P85 = BIG difference
P85 vs P85D = MASSIVE difference

85 vs P85D = GINORMOUSSSSSS DIFFERENCE

Those are based on my experiences with various Teslas, and my own P85 and P85D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had an S85, a P85, and now a P85D. What I've found from a passing perspective when already at speed is that you have to perform the same stomp on the pedal that you do from a standstill if you want to see a massive difference in passing. If you just push it down it'll seem like the P85/P85D are similar, just like those that didn't know to stomp on the accelerator to get the 3.2 second launch. There is a difference in 30-60 and 60-80. You just can't be lazy with the pedal...

Wow! Thanks everyone for the opinions, stats and links! Any data on the S60 vs S85 for passing? Trying to understand the differences and where they might matter or not when it comes tout buying a used one. Obviously range, warranty, battery wear and tear and factors to consider but I seldom see performance discussion that compare/contrast the models.

Wow! Thanks everyone for the opinions, stats and links! Any data on the S60 vs S85 for passing? Trying to understand the differences and where they might matter or not when it comes tout buying a used one. Obviously range, warranty, battery wear and tear and factors to consider but I seldom see performance discussion that compare/contrast the models.

Dont even consider a 60 man... Trust me

I think you have seen a good comparison between the various MS 85 models. Definitely pick one of those.
Another point is about the comparison to other (ICE) vehicles that were our experience before the Tesla world. MS doesn't have a transmission, no down shifting, etc. Heck I have a Hemi Grand Cherokee. Lots of power, but the drive train is cumbersome! The smoothness of the immediate torque availability is unsurpassed and is what makes MS so quick at any speed.

I regularly drive rural 2-lane highway with 65 mph speed limit, have no trouble passing cars doing 64 mph. To be honest, after driving over 45,000 miles in my S60 I am not able to notice a difference in acceleration compared with the times I have driven an S85. (P85 is a completely different story!)

I was given a demo of the P85D's insane acceleration a few weeks ago. At the risk of being banished from this forum, I honestly didn't feel much difference from my P85. I already think the P85 is pretty insane at full throttle, so a little more insane is probably lost on me. I also find the P85's passing power to be amazing. I have no trouble passing other V8 and V12 cars. Maybe if I were to race another car above 60 MPH I may feel differently, but that's not something I would ever do.
I've heard this comment a few times and one thing that seems to affect it is the SOC. The "news from the frunk" guy (Nick) talked about this a bit. Presumably the same would be true with a P85. Not sure if a lower SOC affects the P85D more than the P85.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of videos and hoopla about 0-60 times of the Model S and those quick bursts are super impressive and fun. However, I'm interested less in winning stop light challenges and more in safe passing on two lane back roads and accelerating around slow poke freeway drivers, on ramp merging etc. I'd love to see a comparison of 30-60 and 60-80 stats instead for the various iterations of S's. Does anyone have these or any anecdotal comments on the topic? Thank you.
Unless you are racing, or trying to pass someone driving a supercar (or another Tesla) who is deliberately trying to stop you passing, there is absolutely no concern with passing, ever! Whether an S85, P85 or P85D (and probably a 60) passing is always easy - more easy than any vehicle I've ever driven Including my Vstar 1300 motorcycle. The lack of lag alone makes it so nimble that any drama is removed unless you are doing something really risky and dangerous.

No difference between 60 and 85, just the range.

I disagree. I can tell a pretty significant difference between the 60 and 85 at higher speeds. I've noticed this with loaners I've received. It's like the 60 just runs out of juice while the 85 keeps pulling through.

I actually got a P85D loaner today and at low speeds, it is crazy faster than my 85, but for normal highway passing (really anything about 45 - 50 mph), I don't really feel much of a difference between the P85D and my S85. If anything it makes me feel better about not having a P85D. :) Now, that 0-60 is just INSANE!

I appreciate educated and informed debate. Please share your thoughts. The 60 may be getting dissed unnecessarily and whatever the supporting points, would they be applicable to the now defunct 40 kWh Model S?

I personally think the 60kwh is the next to go. Low performance and low range capabilities, especially over time with degradation.

I am willing to bet a new battery size will be available, say a 110kwh battery. The 60 gets dropped, and the battery options will simply be 85 or 110kwh.

I am willing to bet a new battery size will be available, say a 110kwh battery. The 60 gets dropped, and the battery options will simply be 85 or 110kwh.
This would be my guess. In the 60 regrets thread about half said they would have purchased an 85 if they had to do it over again. In the 85 regrets thread the number of people who said they would get a 60 next time was zero. A few said they would go for the performance motor rather than the standard motor, but most were very happy with what they purchased.