Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NH new registration - Is this required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to everyone.

Need to register my new P85D in NH and have 2 questions please:

-What is the amount the town clerk should use? Standard vehicle price? Is this a fact? My car can't be found by VIN, so I would have to guide these guys and definitely don't want to pay more.
-Does a new car (in this case P85D) require the inspection for the first year? The site is a bit confusing saying if the dealer did not perform one...
-How much was the registration in your case for P85D?

Many thanks!

You definitely have to have the car inspected within 10 days of getting it registered. Since your "dealer" otherwise known as Watertown Service is in Mass. they can't do a NH inspection. The good news is that any inspection station can do it. Wherever you had your last car inspected can do it, if you trust them. I always make sure that none of their people move the car. I drive it in and out. If they object to that, find another inspection station. I had a little fun with it and asked for their "BEST" emissions inspection.
Since the P85D is listed on the Tesla site as a different model from the 85, you may get stuck using the price I saw there of 104,500. In NH they take the base price of the model without any options. The bad news about the "P" models is that many options are included in the base price. When I first registered mine two years ago there was a very big gap between the 85 and the P85. What is the town clerk giving you for a price?

You definitely have to have the car inspected within 10 days of getting it registered. Since your "dealer" otherwise known as Watertown Service is in Mass. they can't do a NH inspection. The good news is that any inspection station can do it. Wherever you had your last car inspected can do it, if you trust them. I always make sure that none of their people move the car. I drive it in and out. If they object to that, find another inspection station. I had a little fun with it and asked for their "BEST" emissions inspection.
Since the P85D is listed on the Tesla site as a different model from the 85, you may get stuck using the price I saw there of 104,500. In NH they take the base price of the model without any options. The bad news about the "P" models is that many options are included in the base price. When I first registered mine two years ago there was a very big gap between the 85 and the P85. What is the town clerk giving you for a price?

Many thanks! Surprised I only see your reply here, only 2 Teslas in NH? Anyways, I didn't get a price yet, just want to make sure I do my homework first.

Many thanks! Surprised I only see your reply here, only 2 Teslas in NH? Anyways, I didn't get a price yet, just want to make sure I do my homework first.

Your P85D gets us up to at least 63 Teslas in NH!

radiod77 is correct, the registration tax is based on the base price of the vehicle, excluding options. We we're happy to learn this when we registered our 85. With many options listed, we likely saved hundreds. It wouldn't hurt to mention your upgrades. Negotiable perhaps? If not, a nice consolation is the sales tax that we live free or die for to avoid in NH!

It's probably 30 minutes from Concord, but I've had our car inspected twice now at Nashua Foreign Auto. Good guys and they are very interested in the car. The cost is only ten dollars, all the time. They are aware that the vehicle gets regular maintenance in Watertown, so it goes quick. I drive the car in and out. No lifts, no hassles.

To enable your mechanic to issue a document and windshield sticker, he'll still have to communicate with the state DMV computer system. He'll enter the VIN, make, year, etc. into the program. If unfamiliar with processing EVs, there is a dropdown menu next to 'Emissions'. Have him scroll down, highlight and then click on the satisfying word, 'NONE'. :)

Your P85D gets us up to at least 63 Teslas in NH!

radiod77 is correct, the registration tax is based on the base price of the vehicle, excluding options. We we're happy to learn this when we registered our 85. With many options listed, we likely saved hundreds. It wouldn't hurt to mention your upgrades. Negotiable perhaps? If not, a nice consolation is the sales tax that we live free or die for to avoid in NH!

It's probably 30 minutes from Concord, but I've had our car inspected twice now at Nashua Foreign Auto. Good guys and they are very interested in the car. The cost is only ten dollars, all the time. They are aware that the vehicle gets regular maintenance in Watertown, so it goes quick. I drive the car in and out. No lifts, no hassles.

To enable your mechanic to issue a document and windshield sticker, he'll still have to communicate with the state DMV computer system. He'll enter the VIN, make, year, etc. into the program. If unfamiliar with processing EVs, there is a dropdown menu next to 'Emissions'. Have him scroll down, highlight and then click on the satisfying word, 'NONE'. :)

thanks, appreciate your help. Well mine is P85D so it'll be tricky as far as what price they will consider. On the sticker it says standard base $69k but then later one option for the dual motor is $34,600...Will see.
btw how did you deal with the front plate?

Lastly, do you guys have meetings or something? I'd love to meet the other owners.

You can certainly try using the sticker and see if that flies. When I got mine they didn't have stickers and I referred the clerk to the web site. That's when I had to convince her that mine wasn't a P85.

The front plate was put on by the Tesla rep when the car was delivered, after he got the ok from me. There are a couple of positions on the front grill. If you look at some of the photos of Teslas at superchargers you will see that they're not all the same.

It's more like "or somethings" that are usually set up on forums like this.