Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is sleeping during the day today? Visible Tesla and Phone App won't connect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else seeing this strange behavior today? My car is falling asleep during the day and my mobile app and VT won't connect... Wonder what Tesla is doing? Anyways, even if I wasn't running VT, my car should be awake during the day right?

[edit]

OK, went back and checked, and Energy Savings was on, so I turned it off so my car stays awake during the day... But still not connecting through app or VT.....

FWIW I had a 2 hour period from about 0700 to 0900 Pacific time with lack of connectivity (and my service rep could not connect at all). He had me reboot MCU a couple of times. I had 3G signal, but no connection to the iPhone app or VT. It began to work at about 0930-1000 Pacific. My bet is on a TM server issue.

I've noticed this off and on over the past two years. I think it must be Tesla's servers going down or something. It's annoying in the winter when I'm trying to connect to pre-heat the car, but thankfully doesn't happen that often. First World problems for sure!

Ok here's what I'm seeing: No connect from the phone app since middle of last week. If I reboot the center screen then it all works well....for a few hours. Then back to the spinning circle and eventual timeout with message "A Connection to the Vehicle Could Not Be Made". Doesn't matter which energy savings setting is selected. This all just began last week. Was pretty reliable prior to that.

We should build a wiki or something similar to track when people can't connect... if someone checks the thread and there are a dozen other people reporting problems we'll know it's a system wide (or at least widespread) thing... does the TMC forums have something that can easily track reported issues v. time/date?

Please checkout the sleep thread on the main model s page to see it's similar to that issue.

Car taking 10-15 seconds to turn on sometimes.

It's not. This is strictly about accessing the car through the phone app. The car otherwise responds normally.

There is a another problem some people including I have (and others insist they don't have) that is related to Energy Saving. It is to do with re-establishing 3G after sleep taking up to 1/2 hour, and seemingly unique to Canada perhaps related to roaming. It may or may not be related to the phone app problem, but the delay to establish 3G connection has been going on since before 6.0 - at least 6 months now. This phone app thing just started last week.

It's not. This is strictly about accessing the car through the phone app. The car otherwise responds normally.

There is a another problem some people including I have (and others insist they don't have) that is related to Energy Saving. It is to do with re-establishing 3G after sleep taking up to 1/2 hour, and seemingly unique to Canada perhaps related to roaming. It may or may not be related to the phone app problem, but the delay to establish 3G connection has been going on since before 6.0 - at least 6 months now. This phone app thing just started last week.

I can confirm 3G takes forever to re-establish after car has slept, in Canada.

No slacker no nav maps for whole drives to work is not a good experience.

Same thing happens after a console reboot.

But really, network speed and negotiations etc... are all being handled by very fast computers these days.

No network setup should take more than a couple seconds.

It's comical but not funny:

It's as if there's a guy sitting in Tesla office with a work queue, each time a Canadian car reboots or re-establishes a 3G link (the bars are showing in the car but nothing flowing!) it takes several minutes for that person to flip through a card index and telephone the providers and get put on hold in their IVR queue, then finally have a conversation, and say, "it's OK, this account is still active and we're covering it, enable the connection!". "Thanks Bert". "See you Ernie". "Talk to you again soon". Bing! Another person started their Tesla in Canada, hang on I got to get to work again..