Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Richard Branson's Virgin working on ELectric Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Richard has started close to 100 Virgin companies and at least 14 have gone bankrupt including Virgin Atlantic airlines, Virgin Cars internet car dealer, Virgin music Megastores, Virgin Pulse and Virgin Digital which were to compete with iPod and iTunes,Virgin Cola,VirginStudent(ha ha i.e. Facebook),Virginware(i.e. Victoria's Secret),VirginVie cosmetics among others.

I wish him well. But Richard seems more of a through everything at the wall and see what sticks kind of guy.

Whereas Elon is more of a 5 for 5 type of guy.

But Richard seems more of a through everything at the wall and see what sticks kind of guy.
I think you mean 'throw'.

Also, I loved Virgin Cola back when I was in highschool. My nerdy unpopular friends and I had previously made the V4L (Virgin's for Life) club and Virgin Cola, with it's slightly ugly looking people on it, quickly became our official drink.

Most of the great innovators and business men have plenty of failures, I think it strengthens Branson's resume to an extent. Elon himself said he expected Tesla to fail. Branson seems as well positioned as anyone to create a successful EV, I feel.

Most of the great innovators and business men have plenty of failures, I think it strengthens Branson's resume to an extent. Elon himself said he expected Tesla to fail. Branson seems as well positioned as anyone to create a successful EV, I feel.

Well said.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to post that "We learn more from our failures..." but then I came upon this:

Why we learn more from our successes than our failures

Perhaps on a neural level with monkeys performing individual tasks. But complex human behavior such as launching new businesses is an entirely different ballgame. Failure is almost a prerequisite to success, at least when it comes to the most successful people.

I think too many people in tech fetishize business failure.

Elon has come very close to spectacular failure at Tesla and SpaceX but has not.

As an investor I would rather go with the 5/5 guy than the 86/100 guy.

Yes, either guy could fail or succeed in the next venture.

Virgin Galactic:
PX10092700SpaceShi_3092680k.jpg

SpaceX:

Who's car would you rather drive your kids in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a competition, please! It is just great news that other entrepreneurs are willing to invest in EV's! I hope something compelling comes out of it. The more suppliers of EV's the better it is for us all!

....some of you ...fans...have a a real problem positively embracing friendly EV competitors to tesla.

this is welcome news, hopefully he follows thru as opposed to a half hearted effort as appears to be the case for so many others.

Well, there's a good reason for that. I don't expect this of Branson of course, but much of the competition is trying to continue a lot of horrible practices. In my personal case, I have to wait six months for a smart electric delivery while literally hundreds of cars are sitting on dealer lots in California, in CARB states, and won't be sent elsewhere. The dealer almost refused to order an electric car for me, and I'm expecting any service issues will be equally difficult to deal with. If I have to use any public charging, it will be horrible, unreliable, or several times the cost of gas compared to the free (prepaid) Supercharger network.

Even if you look at the Nissan Leaf, the most popular EV car out there, you'll see a huge number of complaints related to the fact that dealers still want to keep the ICE world running, and you'll see a lot of preferential treatment in CARB areas versus the majority of the US.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a competition, please! It is just great news that other entrepreneurs are willing to invest in EV's! I hope something compelling comes out of it. The more suppliers of EV's the better it is for us all!

I agree. To me, the striking thing is how so many non-Automotive companies are getting on board. Apple, Google, now Virgin. Tesla started out as an auto company, so I don't consider that odd, but the others???