Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE roll out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In today's call, Elon mentioned that LTE capability is being rolled out. Does it mean some cars have already been delivered with LTE and the functionality is being turned on gradually?

I think it's clear that not all the cars have LTE since he said something to the effect of all the cars have 3G and then said LTE was being rolled out. When the hardware change was made to enable LTE is up for speculation. It's still possible that none of the delivered cars have LTE yet.

I think it's clear that not all the cars have LTE since he said something to the effect of all the cars have 3G and then said LTE was being rolled out. When the hardware change was made to enable LTE is up for speculation. It's still possible that none of the delivered cars have LTE yet.
That was exactly how I heard it as well.
The other interesting tidbit was the "There are some constraints on heavy useage, but not for most people.". I wonder what that was all about... how could you use the 3G/LTE more heavily than designed (given that you can't tether to your car's signal and that you can't stream anything on the web browser)

That was exactly how I heard it as well.
The other interesting tidbit was the "There are some constraints on heavy useage, but not for most people.". I wonder what that was all about... how could you use the 3G/LTE more heavily than designed (given that you can't tether to your car's signal and that you can't stream anything on the web browser)

I think this is just reserving their ability to throttle or charge someone for excessive usage. I'd bet they've never done anything to anyone so far, but they don't want to close the door on their ability to manage abuse. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't allow tethering at some point.

Would LTE speed up the web browser significantly, or is the problem the web browser itself? When I'm parked I find myself taking out my iPhone to look something up that I would rather read on a 17" screen, but the car browser is almost unusable.

But wouldn't it not have been better if Elon hadn't refrained from not mentioning this without at the same time saying something definitive about the many cars that have already been built? (i.e. will it be possible to upgrade without substantial cost, or not).

Would LTE speed up the web browser significantly, or is the problem the web browser itself? When I'm parked I find myself taking out my iPhone to look something up that I would rather read on a 17" screen, but the car browser is almost unusable.

I would just be happy if they support HTML5 and let me listen to YouTube videos. Who needs Slacker when you can pick out the song you want on your own with YouTube.

Here is a post lifted from the Tesla forums. Sounds like it is a future hardware enhancement.

"aaron | MARCH 19, 2015Here is an email I just got from my service center when I asked them about LTE service
According to engineering all we are doing at this stage is doing testing into the use of LTE.
No release dates have been announced, and we have no info on retrofits.
However, it is clear that all vehicles in current production and earlier are not fit with hardware capable of supporting LTE.
So if they decide to make it available to previous vehicles, there would have to be some sort of updated hardware installed.
It is too early to know what is going to happen moving forward so I would advise to stay tuned to all things Tesla in the news and check back with us periodically."

In today's call, Elon mentioned that LTE capability is being rolled out. Does it mean some cars have already been delivered with LTE and the functionality is being turned on gradually?

Here is a post lifted from the Tesla forums. Sounds like it is a future hardware enhancement.

"aaron | MARCH 19, 2015Here is an email I just got from my service center when I asked them about LTE service
According to engineering all we are doing at this stage is doing testing into the use of LTE.
No release dates have been announced, and we have no info on retrofits.
However, it is clear that all vehicles in current production and earlier are not fit with hardware capable of supporting LTE.
So if they decide to make it available to previous vehicles, there would have to be some sort of updated hardware installed.
It is too early to know what is going to happen moving forward so I would advise to stay tuned to all things Tesla in the news and check back with us periodically."

It would not surprise me if Tesla decided to conduct a "stealth rollout" of LTE modems, and quietly enable LTE service at some future date. There are 2 issues at play here: (1) hardware that supports AT&T's LTE network and (2) Buying access to that network.

Currently, the Model S has access to the HSPA+ portions of AT&T's network (think 2011 iPhone 4S level of bandwidth connectivity). Tesla may have to re-negotiate with AT&T for LTE access, especially since the proliferation of LTE-capable mobile phones has caused congestion on many LTE towers. I've seen complaints on Howard Forums and elsewhere that HSPA+ is actually sometimes faster than LTE because of tower congestion. This problem has impacted all wireless carriers to some degree or another.

At some point it's going to cost Tesla more to buy the older 3G chipsets than new ones with integrated LTE. That's also probably why they switched to a higher pixel density for the speedo, because the panels were upgraded by the vendor at the same cost and the previous panels were being phased out. Same could happen with the cellular chipsets.