Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some input from Liverpool/Syracuse Model S owners...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All – posted some questions to the Tesla Motors forum and it was suggested that I post the questions on this site. So I have been reading current and past posts for the last few days. I don’t have a Tesla Model S “yet”, but I really would like one. I currently drive a Toyota Prius (2006) and I get about 45-50 mpg.

I’ll list some of my questions here, since I can’t think of a better group of people to answer them then the Model S owners themselves.

• I normally park my car outside, is it safe if I have the electrician install the appropriate outlet outside? Can the car be charged without any major problems?

• Since our area (Liverpool/Syracuse) experienced the coldest February on record, how did the Model S act/handle in this cold? Snow?

• I spoke to a gentlemen last year that purchased a P85 and he had solar panels installed on his house to charge the car. Since that isn’t an option for me at this point, can anyone give a guess at how much their National Grid bill increased after adding the Model S? I know there are off peak times, but I can’t get a full understanding of how much it would increase. Someone told me $4.00 per 100 mile range, does that sound accurate?

• Has anyone received or ordered the dual motor model?

• I’m a little fuzzy on the Warranty/Ranger program. Warranty as I understand it, would be Tesla would cover parts/labor until the warranty period ended. But I also read you can extend it prior to the expiration date. But the Ranger Program isn’t clear. They come get the car, take it away, fit it, and return it? Is that part of the warranty? Or is that extra?

• Has anyone had any major problems with their?

• My daily commute is Liverpool to Oswego approximately 66-68 miles round trip. I understand in colder weather the range drops about 25%. But, as it sits in the parking lot during the day, while I’m working, how much does the charge deplete? I’m assuming I won’t have to find someplace to charge to get back home? The Oswego Campus is saying (or has said for several years now) they will be putting in charging stations, haven’t seen it yet.

• If anyone in my local area has a Model S which they would allow me to swing by and see, I would love to see one up close. I know there is store in Toronto which I believe is the closest one right now.

Sorry for so many questions, but this is a chunk of change for me and I want to be as informed as I can before making that final decision. Thanks to all of you for anything you decide to share. It will be appreciated.:biggrin:

I'm down in Ithaca. I've facilitated the purchase of a Model S for my father and the a co-worker (who now owns two). I own a Plug-In Prius myself, and grew up just outside of Baldwinsville.

My father parks and charges primarily outside. He had a Clipper Creek charger installed on an outdoor wall. No problems there.

Cold weather depends on who you ask. My father had a very different experience than my co-worker. The difference, I believe, is that one parks outside, and the other parks in a garage that is heated ambiently from the attached house, and rarely goes below 40 degrees. My father had some issues with the door handles activating in cold weather, and fried the windshield wiper motor when the wipers froze. They sent a ranger to repair that and I gather they have changed the software to prevent that in the future. When the car is really cold-soaked such as being parked outside in February, it can't regen as the battery is too cold. In theory this improves as the car warms up, but the less than 20 mile drives he routinely makes never seemed to warm the battery enough to make a significant difference. This has a large impact on range, and our pre-purchase worst-case estimate of 170 miles range might not be low enough for a car parked outside in hilly country in a winter as cold as this.

Despite my encouragement, he also declined to buy snow tires, and had a lot of trouble getting up the small hill that is his driveway. I think he is going to buy snow tires and wheels for next year, in part for the traction, and in part because his OEM tires are worn out at 14k. Snow tires will at least split the wear across two sets. My co-worker has snow tires and has no complaints about traction. Still, in this area, the dual-motor version might be a nice thing.

For your commute I would not expect any issues, and there should be no issues with discharge during the day. You should have plenty of range to even have the car warm itself for you before you leave at the end of the day. Any charging stations Oswego is likely to install may or may not be of use to you. If they are free, they might be worth using just for the free energy. If they are pay, they are typically too slow to make them worthwhile in a Tesla unless you have no choice. Makes charging more expensive than gas.

To calculate the cost of driving the Model S per mile, use about 300wh per mile in the summer, and 400-500wh per mile for winter. You need to know your electric rate. At 300Wh/mile you can go 3 1/3 miles per kWh of electricity. Round to 3 as there are charging losses, etc. At .12/kWh that's .04/mile cost, which matches the $4/100 miles you were quoted. More in the winter, say up to .06/mile or about the same as your Prius costs you now with cheap gas.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks zhenya for the info. Appreciated. Did a search on a Clipper Creek Charger, looks promising. I actually received a call from Tesla in Toronto last week. Apparently they saw my questions and decided to call me as well. Got some good info from them. Now I just have to make the final decision to order one, or get another Prius and keep saving my money for one. Maybe for the Model 3 they say may be out in several years, but it doesn't seem like the range will be as good in the Model 3. I just need to do it now. Thanks again!

Thanks zhenya for the info. Appreciated. Did a search on a Clipper Creek Charger, looks promising. I actually received a call from Tesla in Toronto last week. Apparently they saw my questions and decided to call me as well. Got some good info from them. Now I just have to make the final decision to order one, or get another Prius and keep saving my money for one. Maybe for the Model 3 they say may be out in several years, but it doesn't seem like the range will be as good in the Model 3. I just need to do it now. Thanks again!

No problem. Both my father and my co-worker ordered through the Westchester store downstate. Might make more sense to deal with them. In both cases the cars were delivered to them here in Ithaca.