Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 - Navigation for non tech package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many of the NAV features of Firmware 6.2 will be applicable to non tech package Model Ss? Elon was very specific in his tweet about ending range anxiety applying to the entire Model S fleet. But has he mislead us?

Does anyone have an firm info?

I really hope the trip planning and range assurance capabilities are included for non-tech owners. I don't expect full turn-by-turn nav to be included as that was part of the tech-package upgrade, but the other intelligence would really be nice.

Since they made Nav standard on all new Model S, I think they may be deprecating the Maps app to simplify their firmware development. I'm cautiously optimistic that the next firmware upgrade will replace Maps with Nav.
I read in the past that the hardware for the center unit is different between tech and non-tech cars. So I don't think that non-tech cars will get turn by turn navigation.
But they should be able to get the navigation screens shown in the announcement on the center unit. Biggest issue will be if you are out of coverage for 3G/LTE as the center unit doesn't cache the tiles - but this should not be too hard to work around.

I hope this works out for you, but non-tech package vehicles are sometimes forgotten when they speak of the fleet as a whole. For instance, in today's press kit they mention that all new Model S have the autopilot hardware, when the design page specifies that it's part of the tech package

Autopilot hardware has been standard since it was introduced. It's the autopilot software that is part of the tech package.

I read in the past that the hardware for the center unit is different between tech and non-tech cars. So I don't think that non-tech cars will get turn by turn navigation.

I share your optimism. Because these features are, in fact, the core of version 6.2, failure to take all versions of the Model S into account seems to me like a huge oversight.

I hope to see my Maps icon replaced with a Nav icon in a couple weeks, while fully expecting that functionality between mine and a Tech Package owner will be at least partially different.

Not that I disagree with getting Maps replaced with Nav in non-tech cars, but those of us in the used market will lose a "at-a-glance" way of telling tech/non-tech cars apart when the person doesn't post the original monrooney sticker.

Not that I disagree with getting Maps replaced with Nav in non-tech cars, but those of us in the used market will lose a "at-a-glance" way of telling tech/non-tech cars apart when the person doesn't post the original monrooney sticker.

Apparently another way to tell is the trim below the rear bumper. It's chrome with the tech package, and glossy black without.

I am 99.9% sure that they won't get the turn-by-turn nav on the dashboard.
So type in a destination, hit go and check if the dashboard changes or not.
Of course, to be confirmed once (or if) this rolls out :)

Apparently another way to tell is the trim below the rear bumper. It's chrome with the tech package, and glossy black without.

Also the headlights are different, with no DRL. As well as the air intakes below the headlights, no chrome accents on non-tech package cars. I can tell from a distance if a car has tech or not.

Edit:
Here is an example of my car next to a blue Model S with tech. The lack of chrome accents on the air intakes is the easiest way to tell the difference.

WNGiO2Y.png

Edit 2:
And from the back, here is mine next to another green. Hard to see but you can tell, the strip on the very bottom of the bumper is chrome on the tech.

TmqK7ag.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AndreN
Also the headlights are different, with no DRL. As well as the air intakes below the headlights, no chrome accents on non-tech package cars. I can tell from a distance if a car has tech or not.

Wow, I didn't know either of these chrome accents were signs of having the tech package...
If I cause an accident on the way home, staring at oncoming Teslas it will all be your fault... :)

I don't know why people who bought cars without navigation would expect to receive updates to navigation.

I don't expect to receive turn by turn navigation. Getting the trip planning and other features would be nice, even without navigation. I would even be fine paying the $1,000 others have been quoted to get the full nav package, but hardware limitations may prevent that, not sure.

I don't know why people who bought cars without navigation would expect to receive updates to navigation.

I don't know why you're hating on us... (that was a JOKE!)

But seriously, I really don't expect us to get the full navigation sweet that you and other Tech owners have. What I would like to see (and I do expect), though, is the same information being made available regarding trip planning and optimization. Already, all Superchargers do appear on the Map display, so the system telling us to go to Supercharger W, it's X miles away, you'll use Y energy, and you'll need to charge for Z minutes before continuing, I don't think that's expecting anything unrealistic.

How do we feel about features we paid for being given to cars that didn't buy that option for free? I ordered the tech package because of navigation - so if they basically upgrade cars from the past that didn't pay for it, I will have mixed feelings about it. Happy for you, but feeling a bit ripped off.

I think the right word was "hope". I hoped we would get the trip planning at least without the Nav (although I think history shows paying for things others later get included for "free" is something you just have to accept with Tesla), and perhaps we still will. I think we non-techies are such a small percentage of owners that we are not thought about at any stage of the process for these things. I suppose there is a SMALL chance that in this case being ignored means that we actually will get the update but Tesla didn't think it was worth mentioning for some reason. I wouldn't bet on that, though.

I still don't care about turn-by-turn Nav at all, my phone does the job just fine, but the trip planning features do seem to be the sort of thing that all Teslas should have.

I was telling someone yesterday that the list of things my Tesla can't do is growing more impressive by the day. :) We'll just have to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of those two plain white lines on the backup camera that we got from the last update.

How do we feel about features we paid for being given to cars that didn't buy that option for free? I ordered the tech package because of navigation - so if they basically upgrade cars from the past that didn't pay for it, I will have mixed feelings about it. Happy for you, but feeling a bit ripped off.

I try not to play that mental game, especially in the world of gadgets and/or hi-tech... of which the Model S is closer to than car in terms of functionality/development/support.

Stuff that used to be extra is often included in the next update/model for free... be it computers, operating systems, phones, and now cars.

The tech package was worth it for me at the time, and remains such. I've already received more functionality and warranty coverage than I originally purchased. I'm a happy camper... and I'm happy for other folks who also got another perk.

If I purchased today I also would get auto-pilot HW, newer seats, etc... my buddy has all of those on his, and we paid about the same price... but such is life. I've had the pleasure of driving this car for longer than the vast majority of current owners.... that's worth something in itself.