Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 19th Press Conference Live Blog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11:09
Feature 2: Trip planner: will automatically include best list, best route for your trip, including the best charging opportunities on your route.

Musk: the car will double check. You have to say "Yes I'm sure Twice" in order to run out of range.

Musk: Software update 6.2 makes it impossibel for the driver to run out of range unless they intenionally try to.
Musk: Software update 6.2 makes it impossibel for the driver to run out of range unless they intenionally try to.

11:08
Also works to look up weather, take terrain into account.

Musk: over the next 12 months, all of Europe, U.S. (save for Northern Alaska), Most of China, all covered.

1: Range Assurance application. Always running in the background, even when nav isn't in use. Communicates with Superchargers and network, warns you before driving out of range if the Tesla Charging network is being used heavily.

11:07
Version 6.2 gets two new features to address perception of range anxiety, improve driver 'peace of mind'

- - - Updated - - -

Full details are already posted @ Press Kit | Tesla Motors

Thanks. I should've known.

My biggest question is what does all this mean for non-Tech owners? Are we all getting Nav via an OTA update? It *kind of* sounds like it, but it's not explicitly stated.

I didn't see a mention of tech package / nav requirement? Seems like nav is required for this. That would not cover the "entire fleet" though. Jus' wondering'.. nav would be nice to have. I skipped nav on the Tesla because my phone already has it. However this is a whole new level of Tesla-only navigation!

I didn't see a mention of tech package / nav requirement? Seems like nav is required for this. That would not cover the "entire fleet" though. Jus' wondering'.. nav would be nice to have. I skipped nav on the Tesla because my phone already has it. However this is a whole new level of Tesla-only navigation!
Why wouldn't "all" mean all?

Last edited:
Checking the Design Studio page now shows Maps and Navigation as part of the standard. It's not mentioned in the Tech package any longer.

Checking the Design Studio page now shows Maps and Navigation as part of the standard. It's not mentioned in the Tech package any longer.

I think, at the price point of the Model S, Maps & Navigation SHOULD be standard.
My new 85D arrives next week, and I ordered the Tech package...so I should be covered either way, but I like that Elon is making this available for those that do not have it.

Well...and to be honest...I'm thinking of myself 3 years from now when some new technology comes out that wasn't available when I ordered mine...I hope to still be eligible for new updates as they come out.
:biggrin:

I'm not real sure why they keep giving stuff away that they charged early adopters for. Obviously great for people who didn't pay for it. I would have to agree with ecosuave, Nav should be standard. If you spend $30k on a Honda and get Nav you should get it on a $70k Tesla.

No mention of checking weather in the Press Kit. NMI.

Also, in the Press Kit I note that it says the iPhone app will push notifications, while Android users have to monitor (not ideal, maybe that'll come late for Android).

I'll admit I was kind of disappointed when Elon just brushed off the development discrepancy between the two versions of the App. Would have been nice to here "and soon for Android" or even "and eventually for Android". I'd like to believe the two apps will one day have the same features.

I'm not real sure why they keep giving stuff away that they charged early adopters for. Obviously great for people who didn't pay for it. I would have to agree with ecosuave, Nav should be standard. If you spend $30k on a Honda and get Nav you should get it on a $70k Tesla.

Yes, but there are many vehicles where nav is still an option too.

Rapidly changing features/options is just part of dealing with a young company like Tesla. They're still figuring out what fits best.

It's actually more of an extreme case with Tesla as well, since they don't wait for the next model year to introduce new features. They add them as soon as they're ready. Nice for new customers, bad for old ones.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where to even post this. $40K deposit for 3+ years and I can't even listen to the press release. Significant stock investor, (at least to me). I'm not giving up my reservation but I have to say that today was a slap in the face to me. I think tesla at least owes me an apology. My attitude and alliance to the company changed today and that's a shame. I might not have been their number one supporter but I was close.

Anybody know where I can listen to a recording of the conference call this morning? Seems odd that they wouldn't have this up on the IR page. Disappointed too O-G I feel your pain. Also been holding a deposit for 3 years here in NZ! Originally told Aus/NZ deliveries would happen mid 2013! Ha...now told they won't deliver to NZ until there is a service centre here. Understand the logic but will be another year or two at least I bet! Thinking by the time I take delivery I will be the longest reservation holder in Tesla history.
Why are you waiting so long? I see you are in the USA. Or is yours a Model X reso?

Edit: Haha now I see your pic I get it. Hope you get that Model X this year! You have a shorter wait ahead of you than me at least! And I just want the S!

Last edited:
...$40K deposit for 3+ years and I can't even listen to the press release. Significant stock investor, (at least to me)....
Anybody know where I can listen to a recording of the conference call this morning? Seems odd that they wouldn't have this up on the IR page. Disappointed too O-G I feel your pain. ...

100% agreed with both. I thought the day of press releases had ended frankly! It seems antiquated now to announce something significant like this and not make it an open call. It clearly impacts the stock price and gives an advantage to those invited (meaning they can play the market ahead of others less privileged). It also is of primary interest to us users and future users and it would be nice to see them reward that loyalty more (although having my 2013 Model S update to 2015 for free ain't a bad reward either! :) ).

Essentially I think all these calls should be open to all and on ir.teslamotors.com right away. Don't want to ask questions, just listen in.

That said, awesome news, great step forward, and a genuine move towards making EVs an easier choice for the mass market. After a total of >120k kms I can say with all honesty that buying the Model S (and Roadster) have been the best purchase decisions I've ever made.