Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boy Racer Encounter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I have been driving for 20+ years and never once had a car pull-up next to me wanting to race. I have had some quick and sporty cars too. So the other night, I'm driving my kids home and a boy racer pulls up next to me at a light in a little Acura RSX or something like that. I was minding my own business. When the other light turned yellow, he started revving his engine (it was loud with one of those coffee can exhaust systems) and then held a high rev (sounded like launch control). In fairness, it was dark so he didn't see that I had my kids in the car, otherwise he many not of done this.

Anyway, I didn't race him because the kids were in the car but when the light turned green he took off like crazy and I just let him go. The funny thing is that I did a standard acceleration (maybe 1/3 throttle) and it seemed like I was still gaining on him, even though I wasn't racing and gave him a head start. I'm not the type to race at red lights but I know I could have destroyed that car and, if my kids weren't in the car, I would have.

All of these YouTube videos out there showing Tesla acceleration have made it known that these cars are fast and I suspect I will run into this more as time goes on. I never suspected that a 4-door electric car would entice racing on the street.

The worst part is that this kid is probably posting everywhere that he blew away a Tesla in his boy racer mobile. I'm sure those in the know will flame him.

It's not just "Boy Racers" who do stupid stuff like that when they see a Tesla. A month ago I was driving my S on the 101 just south of Camarillo California, about to head up the Camarillo Grade (a steep short hill just north of Thousand Oaks). I was in a middle lane on the freeway doing 70mph. I saw a new white Porsche 911 model come up behind me. The driver was an older white male. He moved into the far left lane and came up next to me, held position for a moment, then deliberately jumped 10 ft. ahead, eased off to come back even with me. An obvious invitation to race. I didn't make eye contact but I could see him in my peripheral vision. He carefully maintained my exact speed for several seconds, and then when it became apparent I was not reacting to him, he suddenly accelerated and cut right in front of me, coming within 5 ft. of my bumper, and zoomed off. He wasn't trying to get around a car ahead of him in his lane, he was deliberately trying to provoke me. It was obvious.
I was amazed at such childish behavior from a guy who looked to be at least 65.

I'm 65, complete with white hair and geeky coke-bottle glasses. I've put about 400 miles on the P85D and that happened to me on the freeway too. Except the guy in the left lane was a girl, her car was a complete beater, and she didn't pull forward after the "invitation" -- she just sat in formation with me in the left lane. I slowed down enough to create room for the folks behind her to pass on the right, which about five of them did. I'll bet there were some single-digit statements. She finally got the message and pulled back into the right lane. I've become a bit more alert to that sort of thing since then.

Yesterday during my test drive of a P85D, a guy in a F150 revved up and tried to race me at a red light. I didn't bite and let him burn his rubber while we continued to chat about the car. That said, a few minutes later we tried an insane launch on a private street behind a parking lot with lots of visibility to any other traffic. If I ever wanted to race, I'd find a track day event and enjoy myself without worrying about hurting others.

I had an Audi S5 do this to me. Pulled alongside for a while, then laid back about 4 car lengths, and when the higher speed zone approached he floored it and passed me up. Whatever makes you feel good, buddy. Nothing like "embarrassing" someone that wasn't even partaking in your ego stroking.

Step 1) own any Tesla vehicle with radar components.
Step 2) wait for 7.0 with autosteer.
Step 3) wait for reving car at side.
Step 4) roll down window, face driver with crossed arms, and slowly shake head disapprovingly with a frown.
Step 5) profit.

I've had several encounters like this as well. If I notice it, I make it a point to go easy and let them dash off. I think it's silly and dangerous. I don't want to give them the power to provoke me. When I see someone behind me trying to drive dangerously fast through traffic, jumping lanes and stuff like that I mostly get out of the way and let them pass. I really don't want such a driver tail gating me and risking having them hit me. Starting a race with them is the worst you can do. Their blood is already boiling trying to get through traffic as fast as they can. Anything you do to upset them is just directing their anger on you and make it more dangerous.

@David99, your comment reminds me of a culture workshop I attended at my company a few years back. The facilitator asked what I would do when I saw a car behind me weaving through traffic, pulling up fast behind me and tailgating. Obviously expecting me to say something like "I'd slow down a bit" or "I'd brake check him" I told her that I'd get over when safe to do so since the left lane is for passing. She just didn't have an answer for that.

Reactions: bhzmark
This is in no way giving a pass to some of the dangerous situations described in this thread, but for many play race situations it's really just someone that likes to watch fast cars, not someone road raging or whatever. Like it or not, owning a fast, expensive car is advertising to the world that you like fast, expensive cars...

Reactions: Elliott P100D