Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Blue cars from France with way more advance batteries than Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The French Billionaire that founded Bluecar claims his batteries are more advanced than Tesla's. This sounds like the real deal as the company is already valued at 6 billion, are already having great success and the cars will soon be made by Renault. I personally think the cars are ugly and look cheap, well I know I know the cars are indeed cheap! however if it's true about what they say about the batterie that would mean Tesla is behind already.

it seems like the batteries are already commercially viable. And you know how Elon thinks batteries will be 30% cheaper? This guy thinks 2 thirds cheaper. Really curious about this.

What do you guys reckon?

see article below

From Paris, the Anti-Tesla That Costs 20 Cents a Minute - Bloomberg Business

I think he's trying to sell his own product and why not claim it? He doesn't have any buyers that will be upset just people who rent his car for 30 minutes. I really don't care and hope his business will be a huge success. More EV's in cities is a good thing, so bring it on.

As to the predictions: They are about the future and everything in the future is uncertain. (except death and taxes of course)

I remember being quite excited about the BlueCar concept.
image.jpg

Unfortunately the reality was quite disappointing which is why I think he decided to use them as share cars instead.
image.jpg

BlueIndy is trying to get going in Indianapolis, IN:
Welcome to blue-indy.com | blue-indy.com
Indy getting an EV car-sharing program in 2014

A few cars have been parked downtown and free test-drives offered for the last several months. I guess the cars currently in Indy are the old-generation, and they're waiting on the new models (as well as some funding/utility hurdles) to actually build out and deploy the system in Indianapolis. This article linked above says June of this year.

I lease a Ford Focus Electric so am familiar with at least one of the smaller EV offerings out now. I was pretty unimpressed with the existing Blu cars they have downtown. Driving one feels like a slightly-better-enclosed golf cart -- poor acceleration for merging in city traffic (really surprised me), sloppy steering, and very soft regen/brakes on that pedal. I know that a car for a car-sharing service needs to be utilitarian and rugged/reliable, but they might be chasing more people away by offering test-drives in these existing cars than anything...

Hopefully the new car is a bit more refined.

Last I knew, in 2009 Bolloré was planning to spend $100M to expand a plant to build an extra 10,000 batteries per year, which is $10,000/battery/year, or, given the battery pack size of 30kWh, $333/kWh/year.

That's nowhere near where prices need to be. Tesla's Gigafactory is aiming to be $5B for 50GWh/year or $100/kWh/year.

Ballore may well have more advanced battery cells than Tesla.

Just about everyone does. But not better battery packs on on cost per kWh basis.

Most consumers don't care if the battery cell is advanced if the car as a whole is a POS.

Ballore sold 1170 Bluecars in all of Europe in 2014 which is basically its entire market.

Tesla sold 4,040 cars in Norway in 2014.

IMO Ballore is far from success.

Ballore may well have more advanced battery cells than Tesla.

Just about everyone does. But not better battery packs on on cost per kWh basis.

Most consumers don't care if the battery cell is advanced if the car as a whole is a POS.

Ballore sold 1170 Bluecars in all of Europe in 2014 which is basically its entire market.

Tesla sold 4,040 cars in Norway in 2014.

IMO Ballore is far from success.

Bollore's LMP cells are different to what others use. They are LMP cells, that is they use lithium metal, and a 'hard' polymer layer for electrolyte. A strong power to energy trade-off, don't expect anyone else to use these.

The Autolib vehicles have a 30kWh battery, trade the cathode for a highervoltage cathode and they could go to 45kWh without any change to anode etc.

Autolib have a 30kWH battery yet still need a capacitor bank for acceleration oomph. Autolib could be half the price of Tesla's Panasonic cells and still not viable for performance EV use.

Autolib cars complement Autolib bikes, both are competition for public transport, neither are competition for Tesla.

Bollore blue car probably has similar range to a US spec BMW i3 REX with a petrol tank.