Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

protectant films

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have any of you had a product like 3M protective film applied to the front of the roadser hood, fenders, light covers? If so, have you been satisfied and do you have a picture of what you covered? I have it on my Lexus and it's been a rock chip saver... thanks

Yes, we did. Tesla has a film called "Paint Armor" and we initially had the leading edges (front of car and mirrors) done when we purchased it. After about six months of ownership, we asked the SC if they could do the entire car. They could so we did and are very happy we did. The underside of the doors and the area just behind the doors seem to pick up the most debris and if we hadn't had them covered, there would have been considerable damage.

Last edited:
I have had film applied to the last five cars I've purchased. The first two I didn't do any research and had it applied as a kit at a tinting shop. After seeing how much it saved the finish I was sold. The only problem was that since it was a precut kit install, the fit was pretty bad and I had only done part way up the hood so there was a line where the film ended. The last several cars have had the full hood wrapped. By wrapped, I mean they apply the film over the whole body panel and wrap it onto the back a bit. This makes for the cleanest looking install in my opinion. It is also the most expensive and hardest to find good installers for. The best scenario is to cover the car with as few miles on it as possible.

As for films, my preference is Nano Fusion. I like how it matches the sheen of the adjoining paint. Some films make the paint look like it is not very smooth and somewhat dull. My Roadster came to me with Tesla's paint armor, which kept the chips to a minimum, but did not look great. I had the whole front and mirrors redone in Nano Fusion. I also had the chin spoiler done in a mat finish film. Both came out looking great. I could show you pics, but you can't tell anything was done, it looks like the paint. I wish the door sills had been done when it was new. They were in bad condition by the time I got the car. Film would have helped this I think.

I don't have the protective film, but I am surprised that the car is in absolute new shape after 35000kms. I took it too my detailer 2 weeks ago, he worked on it all day, and afterwards I just couldn't find any stone chips anywhere. Usually, any new car I buy gets damaged within 1 week as I do a lot of highway and our government isn't the quickest to repair road damage. I'm convinced that the paintwork is a lot better than on BMW cars (I used to be a fan boy) or any other European brand. I'm planning a nice car wrap, but that's on hold until we know more about the coming 3.0 parts.