Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S D Arriving Soon - HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having ordered a Model X in July of 2013, impatience eventually ruled, so we ordered our Model 85 S D (#77917) in November.

The delivery event will take place on April 24, 2015 in Washington, D.C. Although we have spent a good deal of time on the Internet reviewing impressions, watching cool videos and asking question of our 'dealer', we are uncomfortable not knowing what we don't know.

Rather than learning the 'hard way', perhaps fellow Club members would be wiling to provide insights about what we would benefit from knowing and teaching ourselves before the 'S' arrives in 37 days.

We're excited (you know what that's about) and want to make the best of our 'honeymoon' with our Tesla.

Many thanks,
Bobbie & Bob
Annapolis, MD

If you've been watching videos and browsing these forums and quizzing Tesla, there's probably not much more you need to know. Delivery should be smooth and easy. They'll give you an extensive hands-on tour of the car at delivery and answer any questions you might have once you see it in person.

Do you have your home charging situation squared away? Definitely want that to be ready to go before the main event. Wouldn't want to have a brand new car only to have hassles charging it.

I just got mine about three weeks ago, and after two test drives, lots of poking in the Tysons showroom, and lots of videos and forum reading, I don't think there were any surprises.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase! There are two Superchargers within about 10 miles of Washington, DC so you should have no issues charging the car. It is good however to have access to at least a 120 V outlet at home just in case, but I believe many owners have 14-50 240 V 50 A outlets for quicker charging.

Also when you get the car, you should be able to download the Tesla Model S app on your phone and do the initial setup while inside your car either that day or a few days after delivery.

There's no need to charge to 100%, in fact it's better for the li-ion battery if you charge to 80%. When you're not going to use the car for a few days, leave the charge level at about 40-50%. You can easily adjust what level the car charges to from the charge screen.

About the frunk, it requires some special treatment when you close it. Just guide it down and let it contact the latch, then gently press with two hands at either side of the center to fully close it. This is to avoid any potential for dents.

The Tesla Service Center will go over the car's features with you also.

If you need anything else, just ask! :smile:

When you put your reservation in you can request a delivery date in the future if you want something other than as-soon-as-possible.
I put down my reservation after the D event in early October and I requested a March delivery date since that's when my Leaf lease was ending.

I would suggest a few drives around the neighborhood to get used to the acceleration and braking before being thrown into heavy traffic. Also discuss with your delivery agent if you want the regeneration put on to begin with. I would suggest possibly placing the regeneration in "low" to begin with, get used to the car, then switch it over. If not, be sure to realize that driving it will feel like driving a manual with the transmission in a lower gear when you abruptly lift off the accelerator.

Good Luck - you will love the car. Coming up on 2 years and 2 months of the Tesla Grin in our S!

I'll just add to the already excellent hints here.

Best to leave plugged in whenever you can. Tesla recommends this.

Definitely have a dedicated 50amp 240v NEMA 14-50 socket installed. Well worth the cost. 120v charging will only get you 4mi/hr. 240 will get you 24-28. If you go whole hog, you can have a dedicated 100amp service brought in just for the car and use their high power wall charger (HPWC) which will get you approx 80/hr charge. But pricey, considering the cost of the charger and the the electrician costs. I'd do it, but don't really need it.. So it depends on how much you drive.

Don't freak out about all the weird clicks, pops, groans and other oddball sounds the car makes while simply sitting there. They are normal and are part of the continual maintenance/troubleshooting the car does on it own. I find it pretty amusing, actually. Getting the air suspension? That makes the best sounds. Don't be startled if you hear compressors running at all hours (though rarely) or when the pressure relief valve releases excess gas. Totally normal. That's the one that got me to call Tesla because it was so startling at first.

Get a good face moisturizer so that you can wipe the giant, frozen grin off of your mug for the first month!

Congrats, good luck and have fun!