Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I dare : Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said something else interesting at the conference, but I haven't seen anyone picking up on it. He said that current Tesla hardware will not be able to do urban autonomous driving. Urban autonomous would require a new sensor suite. Maybe everyone already knew this...

There has been some discussion of the sensors that were omitted in the various threads. No rear facing camera, no midrange proximity sensors, etc. I do think this is the first time Tesla themselves have acknowledged it.

- - - Updated - - -

Been told by a little bird that blind spot monitoring is coming soon. Maybe this will be on the next up date.

That is absolutely my #1 wishlist item. I actually decided against Tesla because they lacked this feature and changed my mind after the D announcement, so I'm very eager to see it implemented.

6 firmware versions later, and I'm still waiting for the App store/developer kit initially announced for the cars 17" infotainment unit. or at least, better Car play integration so we can create iPhone apps that make better use of the Tesla voice recognition, and screen while driving.

6 firmware versions later, and I'm still waiting for the App store/developer kit initially announced for the cars 17" infotainment unit. or at least, better Car play integration so we can create iPhone apps that make better use of the Tesla voice recognition, and screen while driving.
Funnily enough, IIRC that was the same presentation in Germany in Nov 2013 where Elon talked about the SDK and about the wind / weather / charging aware nav improvement.

With all the revisions of 6.1 (I have no idea how far behind my S is), I have a feeling 6.2 is about to be born.

I think you're right 6.2 is right around the corner, but I don't think that's a good reason to hold off on 6.1. Since .179 we haven't seen much movement on 6.1. There's been a handful of reports of cars having newer versions since then (someone reporting .180 on a new car and a report of .220 installed by service). But there's not been a big push of versions to a bunch of people. Which makes me think they've got significant bugs worked out on 6.1 and are holding anything else to 6.2.

As I understand it you have to go through the version your car has already downloaded, so you might as well just update to whatever you have waiting to install.

Elon said something else interesting at the conference, but I haven't seen anyone picking up on it. He said that current Tesla hardware will not be able to do urban autonomous driving. Urban autonomous would require a new sensor suite. Maybe everyone already knew this...
Curious considering the relatively recent comment saying the hardware wouldn't be significantly upgraded in that area for the next 2 years. (Or something like that.)

- - - Updated - - -

They already have a pretty impressive backlog of cool features yet to be implemented.
My impression is that this is overstating it. I would phrase it this way:
brianman said:
They already have a pretty impressive backlog of cool features yet to be released.

"Implementation undergoing testing and refinement" is quite different from "not implemented".

Curious considering the relatively recent comment saying the hardware wouldn't be significantly upgraded in that area for the next 2 years. (Or something like that.)
I had a chance to speak to a coworker doing research into autonomous driving (I love my job) and she pointed out to me that current state of the art assumption is that for truly autonomous driving in a crowded environment (i.e., inner city) you need at least half a dozen cameras for this to work. So I'm not that surprised that Elon expects to need more sensors...