Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MAP Most Popular Vehicles by State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
9af75ec0-b92c-11e4-adba-1b11fa674adb_usofvehicles2014v4.jpg

I am shocked at North Carolina,South Carolina,Georgia and Alabama.

Who knew Subaru had the most popular vehicle in 4 States?

I bit surprised by Hawaii too.

I don't think that's accurate. I see Subarus but by no means are they as common as they were 20 years ago around here. It's either GM, Ford, Toyota or Honda in every driveway, same as everywhere else. I rarely see a Subaru much less an Outback. Last person I knew who bought one was 5 years ago. Here's an article from 2013 showing Toyota is #1 here and Subaru is only at 10% of the market share.

It is not brands but individual lines. Not Toyota but Camry vs Corolla vs Prius vs F Series vs Focus vs Fusion etc.

Market share of Outback is relevant in CO not Subaru.

What we see is not necessarily what is. Single data points, particularly what we chose to see, is subjective.

Sales figures are sales figures. This is 2014 too. Not cumulative for the last 15 years.

Last edited:
I don't think you do get what they are saying.

What you can see is vehicles sold in the last 30 years in your area.

This is sales for an entire State in 2014. Not just the Denver Metro Area. Even though it is the most populated area in CO by far.

No one can have an accurate picture of an entire State by driving around.

And no one can distinguish 2014 model year from previous years.

You honestly don't have to trouble yourself explaining what the map shows, I understand it. I'm saying that, anecdotally, I see no new Subarusin the Denver metro area, at all. None. I understand well how unreliable anecdotal data is. I'm also aware that maps like this and the data used in them can be faulty. I could be wrong - but so could this map. I don't know why you're defending it so much :)

Your city is nearly as populous as my state. If I told you that the number one selling vehicle in LA was the Morgan Roadster, you'd possibly doubt the source, as I'm betting you have never seen one on the road.

You honestly don't have to trouble yourself explaining what the map shows, I understand it. I'm saying that, anecdotally, I see no new Subarusin the Denver metro area, at all. None. I understand well how unreliable anecdotal data is. I'm also aware that maps like this and the data used in them can be faulty. I could be wrong - but so could this map. I don't know why you're defending it so much :)

Your city is nearly as populous as my state. If I told you that the number one selling vehicle in LA was the Morgan Roadster, you'd possibly doubt the source, as I'm betting you have never seen one on the road.

I don't understand why you are attacking the map so much.

Your perceptions are far more likely to be wrong than Yahoo's math. Or whoever they had do the map.

Subaru has 3.3% Market share in the US.

Morgan has less than .00001% US market share.

There is a relative good chance Subaru has the number one car in at least one of the 50 sub regional markets.

Statistically, Morgan has zero chance of having the number one selling vehicle in any state or city the size of Los Angeles.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is why a pickup is on the product roadmap... Best selling vehicle in 34 of 50 states?

In the Southern States where a pickup is not #1, sales for pickups must be highly fragmented allowing Camry to squeak by to number one.

I'm seeing a lot of low-quality, polluting junk in that map. I mean c'mon, Ford F-series? The only place those should be found is twisted up & rusting away in some farmer's field, not spewing filth into the atmosphere at like 9 times the rate of say a Civic. :D I'm going to say maybe 0.001% of pickup truck drivers actually need the cargo capability. Once Tesla comes out with a truck for them, all that scrap metal can me moved into the junk yard.

Seriously? I live in the Denver metro area and probably 25% of the cars I see are Subaru models. Perhaps you are only looking for '90s models and don't recognize the new models? Maybe you need to get your eyes checked? Maybe you are just making things up. Facts are facts and just because you claim there are no Subarus in Denver doesn't you know what you are talking about.

When I was in CO Springs a few months ago, buying a 2014 Subaru Forester for my daughter, about 1/3 of the cars there were Subarus. Seriously. They have the #1 Subaru dealership in the USA there, and they will pick you up at the Denver airport for free.

I guess the Subaru buyers are all outside of Denver. There were gobs on I-25 everywhere I happened to be....

I understand what it's saying. I think it's inaccurate. I found the origin of it - The most popular new vehicle in each state? Not what you might expect | Motoramic - Yahoo Autos I drive all over metro Denver and am a certified car nut so I'm inclined to notice things. I never see new Subarus. I see plenty of 90's Subarus on the road. I'm betting either IHS is counting vehicle registrations and accidentally including used sales, or missed a decimal point somewhere.

Seriously? I live in the Denver metro area and probably 25% of the cars I see are Subaru models. Perhaps you are only looking for '90s models and don't recognize the new models? Maybe you need to get your eyes checked? Maybe you are just making things up. Facts are facts and just because you claim there are no Subarus in Denver doesn't you know what you are talking about.

The new Outback is, sadly, a chunky CUV/SUV instead of a wagon and the Foresters square. I see lots of Subarus, Outbacks, Foresters. and Imprezas. Last time I knew over 5% of registered vehicles were Subarus. Not at all surprised at the Outback being number 1.

My friend and I just drove about 10 miles on C470 and Bowles, starting from Morrison and counted 84 Subarus in just a few minutes. The vast majority were Outbacks, followed by Foresters, CrossTreks and Imprezas. While not 25%, they were everywhere!

For fun (fun?!) I walked a bunch of aisles at Park Meadows mall and took notes on the car makes and if they were a Subaru, if it was 2014/15 or older.

391 vehicles

35 Subarus

5 were likely bought in the last 24 months.

1 Outback
2 Forester
2 XV

Meanwhile I saw two new Corvettes, two new Mustangs, THREE Nissan Leafs, and one lone Tesla (this was not by the Tesla supercharger area).

So not scientific, but backs up my experience that I rarely see new Subarus. And certainly can't imagine it being the best selling model in Colorado. If I'm up for more fun (fun?!) again I should try this downtown. Took all of 25 minutes.

Well I guess we can officially have an argument about anything!

Not surprised to see Subaru doing well. The Forester is a much better option for people who end up with a CRV. When you're in a woodsy area, I'd imagine it's not tough to put 2 and 2 together and go with the Forester instead.

Couldn't find a map for various areas of the UK, but it probably comes down to whether their is a dealership in the area and the wealth of the area. I don't think their are 2 types of vehicle the same in the whole of my community. Similar brands of course but even then there is a huge variety, quite a few minis, Hondas, Vauxhalls, audis, bmws, fords, nissans even skodas. Come to think about it probably every single brand possible in just over 200 cars. :confused: