Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S non-drivable after multiple error messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
The other day, I used a supercharger during a trip. Upon leaving the charger, and returning home, everything seemed fine. The next day (yesterday), I went to plug in and the charging port wouldn't accept the regular charging plug... It just wouldn't go in! What's more, the light around it was slowly blinking red. I immediately grabbed my key, opened the door and there were 5 error messages at the top of the screen. After tapping to see what they were, the entire car crashed. However, before it did, I briefly saw a few of the errors.
One read something like this:

"Car may unexpectedly restart. PULL OVER TO SAFTEY". One was about the 12v battery, another
was about a system failure of sorts and couldn't see the others in time.

When I put my foot on the brake, the steering wheel lights come on and I hear a click, release from brake, lights on wheel go off. Nothing else happens... I think my Model S is dead :O

Sounds like the dreaded contactor failure...
Wow, I didn't know that thread existed. Thank you for pointing it out. To my understanding, it's something wrong with the actual battery itself? Do you think it could be due to supercharging? Do you know any additional details on the issue since you last posted there?

Thank you.

Speaking of, I'm so glad and thankful that didn't happen to me while driving like it did for the OP of that thread!

Last edited:
Don't think supercharging had anything to do with it. Call tesla, they'll take care of you.
Yeah, I spoke someone at their general support at like 6pm and she was incredibly rude and told me "nothing can be done". I'll just call my service center though, but they're usually pretty slammed... I just don't want to be stuck with what's essentially a brick for an extended period of time. They almost never have loaners :(

Yeah, I spoke someone at their general support at like 6pm and she was incredibly rude and told me "nothing can be done". I'll just call my service center though, but they're usually pretty slammed... I just don't want to be stuck with what's essentially a brick for an extended period of time. They almost never have loaners :(

They should treat customers better than that. I'd report it to your SC.

My understanding is that even when service centers are booked weeks out, they'll bump up emergencies where the car is completely un-driveable (as opposed to fixes that don't stop you from using the car entirely). Definitely poke them with the force of a thousand suns until they get cracking on fixing this. If you called and somebody really told you "nothing can be done" then go over their head until somebody takes care of you. This should be a crack team of technicians crashing through the windows on ropes hanging from a helicopter sort of situation.

Reactions: cswolfe
To my understanding, it's something wrong with the actual battery itself?

There are a set of contactors in the battery pack that open and close to turn the high voltage systems on and off. The battery itself is separate and should be fine. There is a "recall" for certain cars to have them replaced. I was on the replacement list, but mine failed before they got to me. Your symptoms and error messages seem consistent with a HV contactor failure, but Tesla should advise you for sure.

My understanding is that even when service centers are booked weeks out, they'll bump up emergencies where the car is completely un-driveable (as opposed to fixes that don't stop you from using the car entirely). Definitely poke them with the force of a thousand suns until they get cracking on fixing this. If you called and somebody really told you "nothing can be done" then go over their head until somebody takes care of you. This should be a crack team of technicians crashing through the windows on ropes hanging from a helicopter sort of situation.

Haha! Awesome reply, thank you :)
I called in again a couple times (after several useless transfers between quite a few people, definitely not the Tesla service I've become accustomed to) and they're trying to squeeze me in.... I think.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a set of contactors in the battery pack that open and close to turn the high voltage systems on and off. The battery itself is separate and should be fine. There is a "recall" for certain cars to have them replaced. I was on the replacement list, but mine failed before they got to me. Your symptoms and error messages seem consistent with a HV contactor failure, but Tesla should advise you for sure.

Okay, interesting - certainly sounds like it could be related to supercharging. The timing just seems too coincidental. Also, just tried putting my foot on the brake again, same thing happened, except the wipers did a dry run over the windshield (all I did was tap the brake, weird)

Yeah, the 'nothing can be done' remark doesn't jibe with my car-is-undriveable experiences, at all. When I had the dreaded contractor failure, roadside assistance had me taken care of in no time, and my SvC went out of their way, big time, to get the car repaired and back to me in less than 24 hours. And that included three flat beds (long story) and delivering a loaner to a remote location 2-1/2 hours away.

Yeah, the 'nothing can be done' remark doesn't jibe with my car-is-undriveable experiences, at all. When I had the dreaded contractor failure, roadside assistance had me taken care of in no time, and my SvC went out of their way, big time, to get the car repaired and back to me in less than 24 hours. And that included three flat beds (long story) and delivering a loaner to a remote location 2-1/2 hours away.

Apparently they told me they cannot send a ranger out with a tesla loaner and pick mine up because it cannot start.... So they're sending a tow truck, a little concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

OP: had your car been in to service for a proactive power switch replacement prior to the failure?

No, it hasn't. At least not to my knowledge, maybe they did it when it was in for another issue?

Yeah, the 'nothing can be done' remark doesn't jibe with my car-is-undriveable experiences, at all. When I had the dreaded contractor failure, roadside assistance had me taken care of in no time, and my SvC went out of their way, big time, to get the car repaired and back to me in less than 24 hours.

Similar experience here. Tesla Roadside had alerted my Service Center who stayed late and were ready with a P85 loaner when I arrived. My car took a bit longer to fix (almost a week) but it had more to do with scheduling the technician who knew how to do the work, and a nasty snowstorm at the same time. I was fine with the loaner, so that made no difference to me. The car (as usual) was cleaned and detailed inside and out when I got it back.

Apparently they told me they cannot send a ranger out with a tesla loaner and pick mine up because it cannot start.... So they're sending a tow truck, a little concerned.

So you called them yesterday at 6pm and they are only now sending a tow truck with no loaner? Wow, that is not typical customer service behavior from TM. You should bump this up the chain.

So you called them yesterday at 6pm and they are only now sending a tow truck with no loaner? Wow, that is not typical customer service behavior from TM. You should bump this up the chain.
Yes, they JUST now towed my car! So ~16 hours later -.-
Plus no Tesla loaner. I saw in the other thread, where people were experiencing the same issue, it takes about a week to fix. Not cool.

Mod note: updated title to better reflect issues with car. If Superchargering is the issue can change it back.
Yeah, just seemed too coincidental that there was a battery-related issue 1 day after supercharging...

- - - Updated - - -

They'll put in a loaner pack and ship yours back to Fremont given the circumstances. Turn around is 2 days.
Yeah, apparently they lined up something with enterprise - certainly not the Tesla loaners I've received in the past.

Problem diagnosed: apparently it was either something wrong with the "voltage regulator" inside the battery itself or something leading to the voltage regulator, which I'm told has to do with high-power charging sources (superchargers?).

Cause: unclear.

Time to fix: 3 - 5 weeks! They have to ship the battery itself up to their headquarters. In the interim, they loaded my car with a "loaner battery" - very interesting, has anyone had this before?