Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S internal charger - No Longer Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S internal charger

Tesla Model S internal charger, comes with alternative cooling lines, perfect condition.

List Date: 3/17/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Model S internal charger
--------------------------------------
This item is no longer available.

browseformore.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

3wP70jBfSW8X.jpg
BHTY7RPkp3QB.jpg

Are there really different chargers for US and abroad? Looking at the label, it looks like it can take pretty much anything you throw at it - anywhere from 85 to 300 VAC with a frequency of anywhere between 45 - 65 Hz, plus it says it can accept both single phase and three-phase.

Well from what I see the charger is actually 3 phase but for the US market the junction box combines all 3 phases to 1

I don't think you can just connect the phases together into one phases, so it would have to be more than a junction box.

Anyway, from my understanding, the chargers are different, depending on if the car has a Tesla-proprietary connector (as in the US), or a standard-compatible type 2 inlet (as in Europe). And the old 120 kW superchargers used a stack of 12 US-spec charger modules, 4 modules per phase. The new 135 kW use the Euro-spec 11 kW charger modules, with every module connected to all three phases.

I don't think you can just connect the phases together into one phases, so it would have to be more than a junction box.

Correct, you can't just bridge all three A/C input phases together. BOOM.

The DC OUTPUT of the 3 sub-chargers it's what's combined, but I believe that's within the main charger housing. If you have two chargers installed in your car, then those outputs may be combined at the junction box.

Correct, you can't just bridge all three A/C input phases together. BOOM.

The DC OUTPUT of the 3 sub-chargers it's what's combined, but I believe that's within the main charger housing. If you have two chargers installed in your car, then those outputs may be combined at the junction box.

Well of course you can't bridge three phases when you actually have three phases. The charger accepts input from 3 AC lines and in the US version the junction box bridges those inputs into one inlet from the charge port. The charger doesn't care if the 3 phases have a shift or not.

Well of course you can't bridge three phases when you actually have three phases. The charger accepts input from 3 AC lines and in the US version the junction box bridges those inputs into one inlet from the charge port. The charger doesn't care if the 3 phases have a shift or not.

So, you're saying the one phase from the charging inlet is split into the three phase inputs of the charger? Possible, I guess, but certainly old cars did not have three-phase chargers.

Last edited:

Just responding to what you wrote:

the junction box combines all 3 phases to 1

A single phase connected to three inputs in parallel is not "3 phases".

Another thing that might be useful to know for a prospective buyer is whether this was the primary or secondary charger in the car. The chargers get programmed by Tesla to be one or the other and can't be swapped without reprogramming (which I'm assuming only Tesla can do).