Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Al Gore President of the USA? A President concerned about the Climate Change issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Al Gore President of the USA would be really cool IMO. We would have a President really concerned about the Climate Change issue. We could sleep weel if Al Gore would be elected President IMO and the Earth would be safer with respect to the Climate Change issue.
Hope that many TMC Members independently of their political views would agree with me in the interest of the Climate Change issue.

Al Gore should run for president - Vox

I think you overestimate the power of the American presidency. Despite the cult of personality that has developed around the office, it was always meant to be coequal with the other branches. Congress has a great deal of power and is responsible for much of US policy.

Also, I'll believe Al Gore is serious about the environment when he isn't jetting around in a Gulfstream all the time.

Also, I'll believe Al Gore is serious about the environment when he isn't jetting around in a Gulfstream all the time.

I generally agree that Al Gore is a generally an easy target for tu quoque arguments and therefore is really not that useful.

There are other good reasons besides to preserve the environment besides "it's the right thing to do" (which it is, in my opinion), such as: better human health, better crop yields, protecting the planet's biodiversity, recognizing that 99% of all life on earth has gone extinct and we have good interest to stay in the 1%.

He invented the Internet, maybe we should give him a go...

Pet peeve warning.

He never said he invented the Internet. He did say he helped advance the creation of the infrastructure that resulted in the internet we know today. (And he did.) Drives me nuts. It was one of those 'twisting of facts' by the opposition, that lives on today.

Arrrrgh.

From Walter Isaacson's book "The Innovators":

Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn, two of the people who did in fact invent the Internet’s protocols, spoke up on Gore’s behalf. “No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President,” they wrote. Even Republican Newt Gingrich defended him, observing, “It’s something Gore had worked on a long time. . . . Gore is not the Father of the Internet, but in all fairness, Gore is the person who, in the Congress, most systematically worked to make sure that we got to an Internet.”

Pet peeve warning.

He never said he invented the Internet. He did say he helped advance the creation of the infrastructure that resulted in the internet we know today. (And he did.) Drives me nuts. It was one of those 'twisting of facts' by the opposition, that lives on today.

Arrrrgh.

+100. And I don't particularly care for the man himself... but it is the most glaring example of repeating a lie...

I would like a President who respected the constitutional republic and his or her role in it. With all due respect to those who are not familiar with the American system of government, the President is not supposed to have the power to set an agenda such as the one being suggested here. Take a look at Article II of the Constitution and you'll see the limitations on the office. We've had a run of Presidents who have exceeded all authority vested in the office and the last thing we need is yet another one with a cult of personality to further shred our liberties. No thanks.

Pet peeve warning.

Arrrrgh.

Tongue-in-cheek. :)

I'm intimately familiar with the folks who invented the Internet. :)

I think you overestimate the power of the American presidency. Despite the cult of personality that has developed around the office, it was always meant to be coequal with the other branches. Congress has a great deal of power and is responsible for much of US policy.
Congress feels a lot more neutered these days with a lopsidedness in the executive branch and the many alphabet agencies it oversees.

Yes, we've had our fill of hypocritical career politicians.

You never have perfection. Main thing is that Al is really interested to work out the Climate Change issue.......and I am sure that if Al became President he would make many efforts for the electrical convertion of all the transportation in the USA including electrical planes.