Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drained P85D Battery to 0.4%! success!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
Just figured I'd share my latest adventure. Decided to head out and skip directly from my house to the South Hill, VA supercharger.

Tesla's new in-dash estimator said I would arrive with -12%, Charging needed to reach destination. Pfffft...

Set out with 100% charge.

2015-03-15 12.30.14.jpg

A few miles in I was already convincing it of the error of its ways...

2015-03-15 12.31.23.jpg

Less than 100 miles out I had finally convinced the car that the trip was possible!

2015-03-15 12.32.59.jpg

Scooted past the Burlington supercharger :)

A little later I decided I had plenty of buffer for the rest of the trip and bumped cruise control to 78.

About 5 miles from South Hill I finally gave in and dropped speed to 65 with 6 rated miles left.

Hit the off ramp with 2 rated miles. Regen to the stop. Climbed the hill up towards the supercharger. 1 rated mile.

Let off and pulled into the supercharger and regen got me back to 2 rated miles.

Success.

2015-03-15 12.33.32.jpg

2015-03-15 12.34.07.jpg

2015-03-15 12.34.30.jpg

50% charge in 23 minutes. Left for Glen Allen...

Fun stuff. Lowest I've every drained the pack on a Model S. Was confident the whole time, really. :)

I've done this in my P85 previously, but was impossible with the P85D up until the latest updates.

Never done that in an S or Leaf. I did that with my GEM car. It had a 25 mi range. I did stretch it one day, and it wouldn't go up a hill on the way home. I always had a small portable Gen with me. I still wasn't weaned off gas. Glad you made it. Hey I'm 82 years old and never pass up a bathroom or Super Charger.

West Wilkes EV Team on the way to Garysburg, NC
6770675_orig.jpg

There's another thread here somewhere that says that there is about 5 kWh of "below zero" buffer that you can in fact use, though it's obviously risky. Several folks have reported that they've driven 10 or 15 miles past zero. And there's another approximately 5 kWh of buffer below that that is used to prevent the battery from totally bricking itself.

There's another thread here somewhere that says that there is about 5 kWh of "below zero" buffer that you can in fact use, though it's obviously risky. Several folks have reported that they've driven 10 or 15 miles past zero. And there's another approximately 5 kWh of buffer below that that is used to prevent the battery from totally bricking itself.

And many other threads with people getting stranded when the car hits 0 miles - would not count on the buffer. That being said, the trip prediction becomes very accurate after first 20-30 miles or so, and gives a lot of confidence in how far you can push it. Nicely done

And many other threads with people getting stranded when the car hits 0 miles - would not count on the buffer. That being said, the trip prediction becomes very accurate after first 20-30 miles or so, and gives a lot of confidence in how far you can push it. Nicely done

There was a recent case where someone I know had their Model S shut down with ~10 mi. rated range left. I'm sure they looked closely at that case.

You drove too slow :wink:

lol. Did 65-70 for the first ~100 miles, then ~78, TACC permitting, the rest of the way.

Close shave! Not ideal for the battery though, getting drained real deeply is what Li batteries like least.

Well, considering how the software is setup to operate inside an interior SoC window, it technically wan't deeply discharged. That said, even if it was, doing so then immediately recharging while at a reasonable temp should have little to no effect on the pack.

Only 75kWh usable on a 85?

Yep, about right. See above (and numerous other posts on the topic)

You missed the best part... everyone needs a picture of "Charge Now" in the speedo display.

Honestly... I was a hair disappointed to have missed out :(

Awesome. Can you give a little more on the details of your trip? Total miles from beginning and velocity throughout your trip?

This part of my trip was from my home in Hickory, NC to the South Hill, VA supercharger, 228.9 miles. 99% interstate highway with minimal traffic. 65-70 MPH the first ~100 miles, then 78 MPH (with a few slowdowns due to traffic to 60-70 range) right up to a couple of miles before the supercharger exit's off ramp.

i like the irony in your choice of music leading up to the end...that shows confidence indeed.

I thought that was great, myself, and wasn't intentional :) Just a Slacker station :p