Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened the the "Performance boosting firmware update" Elon mentioned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As most may recall, Elon stated there would be an inverter update for the P85D that would lower the 0-60 time back in January.

ever since then I haven't read a single update on it. My question is, where is this update or has it already been released?

I don't have a P, so I wouldn't benefit from such a thing if it were P-specific. There's been a little criticism lately about rushing drive dynamics software to the field and not paying attention to smaller things, like prevent the car from rolling when put in gear and brake pedal is pushed:scared:, or you know, fuel economy...

So, I don't mind Tesla taking a little extra time (months if needed) to get stuff right the first time it rolls out to the fleet. Way too embarrassing using real customer base as testers.. to find all the faults they should have caught in testing.

Suppose the extra boost feature for 3.1 second runs is found to fry inverters in 3 months of run time requiring a drive train swap!? Who wins with stuff like that? I'd like to see features burned-in at TSLA well and good before my car ever sees new s/w.

When we are given the ability to roll back a release at our own choosing if we dont like something in the newly pushed software, that would change the tune a little bit.

Last edited:
Scott I understand and agree with your points.

I am just growing tired of the Elon tweets hyping this stuff and not delivering, and coming up with bogus or no timeframes.

I think Elon needs to hire a PR person to filter his tweets that seems to be thinking out loud than actual announcements.

I don't have a P, so I wouldn't benefit from such a thing if it were P-specific. There's been a little criticism lately about rushing drive dynamics software to the field and not paying attention to smaller things, like prevent the car from rolling when put in gear and brake pedal is pushed:scared:, or you know, fuel economy...

So, I don't mind Tesla taking a little extra time (months if needed) to get stuff right the first time it rolls out to the fleet. Way too embarrassing using real customer base as testers.. to find all the faults they should have caught in testing.

Suppose the extra boost feature for 3.1 second runs is found to fry inverters in 3 months of run time requiring a drive train swap!? Who wins with stuff like that? I'd like to see features burned-in at TSLA well and good before my car ever sees new s/w.

When we are given the ability to roll back a release at our own choosing if we dont like something in the newly pushed software, that would change the tune a little bit.

Elon is the marketing department of Tesla Motors. All the hype concentrated in one spot. Knowing that is excellent, because you're not getting hit from all sides of a marketing engine with hype on every level. Just tuck Mr. Musk into that special place where you've already got him figured to be... and you can focus your ignore powers on just that one thing.

Not a mention of this this morning. Was really hoping this announcement would have something about better acceleration at highway speeds which the P85D is kind of lacking in. This is why the sales people always try to get you to come to a complete stop before doing insane mode launches since 0-30 MPH is the only place you get the extra torque.

well... they did raise the top speed from 125 to 155, today, correct?... so that is faster.

P85D Top Speed

The top speed for P85D is now 155 mph (250 km/h).

He specifically said the update would make the car accelerate faster and lower the 0-60 times, which is all I care about. Being arrested and my Model S towed hitting that new speed limiter has no interest to me whatsoever.

It comes with the 6.2 update in the upcoming 10 days.

qwertzy: where did you read it comes with the 6.2 updates, and where did you see the 10 day timeframe?

Did the web site always say top speed for the S85D was also 155mph? (If not, it does now)

e41b0756e3a1eb4e48556886d093345f.jpg

If they are raising the top speed then will they be adjusting motor power curves so it can achieve that top speed? Will be interesting if this firmware unlocks some more higher speed performance too.

We should know soon enough.

There are many places to legally drive this speed. Private property, tracks, drag strips, etc.

Yup, and I have done over two dozen track days in various ICE vehicles, but you'll never see me abuse my battery like. So they only people this will benefit are those going to track them. For everyone else, the industry wide insurance rates will tick up as top speed is one of those variables they use.