Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet tires for P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

redi

2013 P85+
Aug 31, 2013
DFW, TX
On a recent mini road trip I again was reminded just how loud the PS2 tires (and staggered wheels in my case) are on a textured concrete highway. On other surfaces locally (and around town) the noise isn't bad but, on some concrete I can't imagine a louder tire. On the right surface I reach for earplugs.

I think before I take a road trip this summer I'll need to do something about the noise. I'd even consider another set of wheels (any size, non-staggered), with a very quiet and better wearing tire just for cross-country travel.

Any recommendations for a very quiet, good wearing 2015 solution?

Last edited:
On a recent mini road trip I again was reminded just how loud the PS2 tires (and staggered wheels in my case) are on a textured concrete highway. On other surfaces locally (and around town) the noise isn't bad but, on some concrete I can't imagine a louder tire. On the right surface I reach for earplugs.

I think before I take a road trip this summer I'll need to do something about the noise. I'd even consider another set of wheels (any size, non-staggered), with a very quiet and better wearing tire just for cross-country travel.

Any recommendations for a very quiet, good wearing solution?
In a non-staggered 21" setup, the Continental ContiSportContact 5 with ContiSilent is an extremely quiet, quite expensive tire. I wonder when there will be a 19" version?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toYear=2012&autoModel=Model S&autoModClar=P85

Many of us really like the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s for summer. See:
Feedback on Hankook 21s?

I swapped out my rear 21x9" rims for 21x8.5" rims and put on non-staggered 245/35/21s on all four corners, so I can also now rotate the tires all around.

For winter and because I like the Ventus V12s tires so much, I got a set of the TST Sportline 19" rims and put on Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 all-season tires, but I think next time, I'd just go with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta full snow tires.

You could also just get the TST Sportline 19" rims and put on the summer Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s and be done with it.

Speaking of the ContiSportContact 5 with ContiSilent, I have an S85 with the typical 19"/Primacy combo and coils (non-air). I'm entertaining the thought of getting a set of the 21" turbines along with these Continentals for the visual appeal. Anyone know how the road noise is with these compared to the standard 19" setup that I have? The tire noise is what's generally of most concern for me.

I live in the SF Bay Area so our idea of bad weather is the occasional rain and temperature drops below 40, at which point everyone here screams and panics like the world is about to end.

Perhaps a good comparison is 635 between 35E and MacArthur and I find the Contis much better than the 19s on that stretch.

I'd love to A/B test this stretch with you someday when it's convenient. 245s will fit on the 9" rear P+ wheels with out issue. And the price of PS2s and your Contis is close. That concrete stretch makes the PS2s howl.

that's what I did, MXM4's. the original tires and wheels have been stacked up in the garage practically from the day i bought the car, because I knew about the issue and expense of replacing the staggered tires beforehand. I upgraded to the + when they offered superior handling, before the advances were then applied downstream. road noise is better but still substantial on the concrete pavement here. it was horrible after taking the OEM floor mats out and putting in all weather, so I now have the OEM's under the all weather and it's tolerable but may pose a hazard with the accelerator if not kept in place, surely not Tesla recommended. I have looked into sound proofing but the expense is extreme and the benefits are generally debated enough that I've held off to see if we would keep the car or let it go at the end of the "lease" period. I do have to admit being one of the owners that feels a bit left out to dry by Tesla's choice to discontinue the + and thus limiting my ability to resell and recover equity if I choose to upgrade down the line. the lease guarantee may turn out to be the saving grace safety net but requires keeping an eye on miles and not doing major mods and or forgoing the value in resale on the open market, had the + retained it's value.

I will probably leave the 21" in the garage and go the route of buying a set of used OEM 19" somewhere for road trips.

I upgraded to the + when they offered superior handling, before the advances were then applied downstream.

The only + changes applied downstream were the stiffer bushings in the lower control arms. The stiffer bushings in the rear subframe happened before the + was announced (around VIN 5000 IIRC). The recalibrated dampers and larger sway bars that are part of the + package were never incorporated into the downstream cars (except for the P85D, of course).

I do have to admit being one of the owners that feels a bit left out to dry by Tesla's choice to discontinue the + and thus limiting my ability to resell and recover equity if I choose to upgrade down the line. the lease guarantee may turn out to be the saving grace safety net but requires keeping an eye on miles and not doing major mods and or forgoing the value in resale on the open market, had the + retained it's value.

If Tesla "abandoned" the P85+, they also abandoned the P85. Based on comments on other threads, there are quite a number of P85/+ owners who would not want AWD if they have to replace their cars so there should be a good market for used P85s/P85+s.

We've not yet had any time with the ContiSportContact5 (with or without ContiSilent), so can't help with any specifics. My assumption would be that they should offer a noticeable difference in road noise compared to the competition.

Doc,

Perhaps you can help me with a basic tire question.

I currently have the OEM Continental tires, ExtremeContact DW, that Tesla initially provided with the 21" performance wheels. I am generally happy with them and I expect to get about 20,000 miles out of them. According to your website they have a UTQG rating of 340 AA A.

I am seriously interested in the ContiSilent ContiSportContact 5. Your website lists a UTQG rating of 280 AA A.

So comparing these two URQG ratings, both for the same manufacturer, would it be reasonable for me to expect to see my 20,000 miles reduced to about 16,500 miles for the ContiSportContact 5?

Thanks.

Larry

Thanks.

So comparing these two URQG ratings, both for the same manufacturer, would it be reasonable for me to expect to see my 20,000 miles reduced to about 16,500 miles for the ContiSportContact 5?

Yes, you can compare UTQG ratings between tires from the same manufacturer as manufacturers are generally consistent. You can't compare between two manufacturers. Also note that the tires are not tested to destruction, only the first 5000 miles and then extrapolated. The manufacturer can use any number they like as long as it's not higher than the test numbers.

Yes, you can compare UTQG ratings between tires from the same manufacturer as manufacturers are generally consistent. You can't compare between two manufacturers. Also note that the tires are not tested to destruction, only the first 5000 miles and then extrapolated. The manufacturer can use any number they like as long as it's not higher than the test numbers.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the response. Based on the UTQG ratings that I've provided does my estimate of 16,500 miles for the ContiSilents seem reasonable if I'm likely to get 20,000 miles on the standard Continentals that Tesla provides?

Larry

Last edited: