Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front license plate mounting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just licensed my new (to me) roadster and in Washington state we are supposed to have a front plate mounted as well as a rear. Anyone have any ideas on how to mount this front plate? I am tempted to leave it in the trunk as I fear it could interfere with cooling airflow. Any thoughts? thanks!:smile:

This is funny... My Roadster came from Washington, I had it shipped down here to Texas. It didn't come with any front license bracket -- I assumed because WA didn't require a front plate. :p

Texas has always required a front plate, but for several years it was effectively not enforced because a legal mistake had set the fine at $0. Recently our wonderful legislature corrected that and re-introduced the fines. So... I reckon I'd better get one. I'm headed to the service center in Austin next week to have the official bracket put on.

My car is a 2.5, which I think mounts the bracket in a better way. For the 1.5-2.0 front end, you probably ought to look into those slcasner brackets.

I have a spare mounting bracket that I'm not using - it's yours if you want it. It's the original Tesla bracket that came with my car - I've since replaced it with a custom mount that drops the plate in front of the vent grill instead of on the nose. PM me if you're interested.

IMG_5584.JPG

image014.jpg

Last edited:
so I decided to fabricate a mount myself from some light gauge steel that I bent to form a channel that surrounds the tow hook, and secured it to the hook with a sandwich-cookie approach and 2 screws clamping it around the hook. Then I got a nice piece of heavy plastic mounting at Walmart and attached it to the bracket with 2 screws. I used regular hardware to attach a license plate and frame and for less than $5 I have a very secure, flat black painted bracket that can be easily unscrewed and removed. I attached a pic and a 'crude' drawing to show what I did. If anyone wants to do this it works and looks great! (I think)
WP_20150315_001.jpg
WP_20150315_003.jpg

so I decided to fabricate a mount myself from some light gauge steel that I bent to form a channel that surrounds the tow hook, and secured it to the hook with a sandwich-cookie approach and 2 screws clamping it around the hook. Then I got a nice piece of heavy plastic mounting at Walmart and attached it to the bracket with 2 screws. I used regular hardware to attach a license plate and frame and for less than $5 I have a very secure, flat black painted bracket that can be easily unscrewed and removed. I attached a pic and a 'crude' drawing to show what I did. If anyone wants to do this it works and looks great! (I think)

Nice work! Could you do the same thing in aluminum to save weight?

I remember almost choking when I picked up my new Roadster and watched while they drilled 2 holes in the black plastic grill to hold the bracket. I cringed and looked away until they were done.

you could use aluminum but light gauge steel is easier to bend and tap into- aluminum tends to fatigue when you bend it into a 90 degree. I should have taken better pictures, if anyone wants to see better detail I will take the plate off and take some pics of the actual bracket that show better. :smile:

What's more important to me at the moment is how to mount my EZ Pass transponder. My front plate bracket is already mounted and I don't want to drill any more holes. It has to be outside the car because the solar-guard windshield blocks the signal, and you can't put it under a body panel that's carbon fiber. The plate frame has a message on it that I don't want to block. As it is the front plate increases aerodynamic drag so I don't want to hang it off the plate in a way that makes it bigger.

What's more important to me at the moment is how to mount my EZ Pass transponder. My front plate bracket is already mounted and I don't want to drill any more holes. It has to be outside the car because the solar-guard windshield blocks the signal, and you can't put it under a body panel that's carbon fiber. The plate frame has a message on it that I don't want to block. As it is the front plate increases aerodynamic drag so I don't want to hang it off the plate in a way that makes it bigger.
Is there a motorcycle EZ Pass transponder in VT? If so, get one of those. In Colorado its a clear sticker with some white bits in it. It's designed to mount on a motorcycle headlight. I put mine on the top of the driver's side headlight. Most people don't even notice. I had to call up and argue with them to get it. The lady was convinced it would not work. Not sure what her thought process was. It works great. I can take a picture if you want.

Were there different windshield options? I don't have any trouble with my toll tag mounted to my windshield.