Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear is Dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
their shameless attack on Tesla and all things green caused a fatal decline in public interest... ;~)

top gear is a comedy about cars, whatever they say is not an "authoritative voice" in any way shape or form, if you watched the episode with their suggestion to a UK police vehicle that should tell you right there that it was never meant to be taken seriously.

also if you watched the ambulance replacement episode that should give you a good hint as well.

I believe it ran out of juice prematurely.

bhKp2.gif

Used to be a big Top Gear fan, until about the time of the Roadster review. It was not just that they targeted Tesla, it was more the dishonesty of some of that and other reviews at the time. I also recall a review of a Bentley where Jeremy spent most of the time doing burnouts until one of the rear tires failed. This doesn't tell me much about the car and deliberate abuse of someone else's property is never warranted in my book, even as a joke.
This made me reevaluate my opinion of the show where I started to see it had moved from clever and funny pieces, to goading groups of people or the perceived stereotypes of groups of people, probably because they had run out of ideas. So perhaps it's time in its current form had come.

top gear is a comedy about cars, whatever they say is not an "authoritative voice" in any way shape or form, if you watched the episode with their suggestion to a UK police vehicle that should tell you right there that it was never meant to be taken seriously.

also if you watched the ambulance replacement episode that should give you a good hint as well.

This.

Car Talk was a million times more authoritative on cars than Top Gear ever was… and Tom and Ray would be the first to admit that they were two jokers who were correct half the time on a good day!!!

Reactions: Caligula

Or the "caravans on the railroad" episode. Or the "buildings as cars" episode.

lol @ the responses in this thread

JC is quite like Stephen Colbert: many ppl still, after so many years, dont get that he's playing a character. And that you dont watch his stuff to get wiser about cars; you watch him to entertain yourself. For that, you go to Lieberman and Lagos, Chris Harris, RCR, Matt Farah and countless other YT stars

anyways, TG was by far the greatest moneymaker for BBC, hence why they didnt fire him for so many years. dude's famous around the world. if you are remotely into cars, you know TG, and most likely you love him. Fans in mideast, east asia, latinAm, and of course, the West and the Anglphones. I think TG's rated in the top 5 most watched shows on a global scale....Not surprisingly, so many rival networks want JC, i wouldn't worry if i were him, he's getting a car show no matter what.

but if the rest of the trio dont join him, well, the magic would be lost, imo.

@Bluenation

I think you are probably right. JC decided it was in his best interest to pretend to be a chauvinist and bigot to attract as many viewers as possible. And yes that has served him, his crew and the BBC very well financially. On their path to riches and fame they (I don't see how his wing men and the BBC are not responsible) "offended a couple of people" along the way. Many have laughed and giggled at the character JC created himself like when school boys and girls laugh and giggle when they see somebody bullied on the school play ground. Maybe this kind of behaviour is fun and acceptable for others, I find it offensive and think it's disgusting that the BBC (publicly funded remember) gave him stage for his act for so long.

lol @ the responses in this thread

JC is quite like Stephen Colbert: many ppl still, after so many years, dont get that he's playing a character.

The difference being, Colbert wouldn't walk out of the studio and yell at immigrants or liberals off camera. JC actually called a producer a "lazy Irish c**t" before punching him in the face. That's not him playing a character, that's an indication of his actual personality.