Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a Model S road trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings from Washington DC:

My wife and I are planing our first major Model S road trip, in June '15, to visit our daughter who teaches at Ste. Mary's in Halifax, NS. It looks, from my research so far, as if Maine and the Canadian Maritimes will need advance planning. We have a CHAdeMO adaptor in shipment and also welding extension cables. Can anyone tell me the adaptor plugs which are most common in Canadian campgrounds and Marinas, and are they the same in Maine? We are expecting our first grandchild in May so we are super excited about this trip. I apologize to the Francophone members for the English; Mon Français est vraiment attroce. Many thanks,
Richard

Greetings from Washington DC:

My wife and I are planing our first major Model S road trip, in June '15, to visit our daughter who teaches at Ste. Mary's in Halifax, NS. It looks, from my research so far, as if Maine and the Canadian Maritimes will need advance planning. We have a CHAdeMO adaptor in shipment and also welding extension cables. Can anyone tell me the adaptor plugs which are most common in Canadian campgrounds and Marinas, and are they the same in Maine? We are expecting our first grandchild in May so we are super excited about this trip. I apologize to the Francophone members for the English; Mon Français est vraiment attroce. Many thanks,
Richard

We've driven that route several times from PEI (on to Wisconsin), and you won't need any campgrouds or marinas. When you run out of superchargers you can make Portland, Me on a full charge if you drive prudently. If not, we stop at a Chili's in Worchester, have a bite and pick up forty or so Km of range. If Chill's is not to your liking, there are lots of comparable amperage chargers listed on Plugshare along that route.

At any rate, when you get to Portland, there is a 90A charger in a downtown parking garage and a 40A Sun Country Highway unit at the Farifield Inn in South Portland. We use the 40A because it is very close to the Maine Mall with lots of food choices, shopping etc. The Darling Nissan dealership has also let us charge overnight (VERY slow charge, tho -- 12Km per hour). I also don't have our ChadeMO adapter yet, so we haven't asked about fast charging at the dealership.

If you take the ferry (a good suggestion by a previous poster) there is a 90A Sun Country unit furnished by the Town of Yarmouth when you disembark. Likewise, the Town of Shelburne has another SCH 90A unit. From there you're only about 130 miles from Halifax.

If you want to drive the entire trip then PM me, since the route is much longer (but a very nice drive) and involves more charging stops -- however, you still are good to go with standard charging units -- no need for RV parks, which almost all have NEMA 14-50s (40A continuous if they are wired correctly) and a marvelously inflated idea of how much their electrons are worth.

It should be a great trip!
Harry

Presumably you mean the Fore Street Garage in Portland. The is also a Chademo there. The garage owner owns a MS.

Right you are! I wasn't sure of the name of the garage, and didn't know about the CHadeMO. We will be in Portland for the April 20th ribbon cutting for the Fairfield Inn charger (even though it has been live for some time). April 20th at 11:00 a.m. -- everybody welcome.

If our CHadeMO adapter arrives before then we will check out the Fore Street garage DC unit also.

Thanks for the update.

I'd be very interested in how it goes for you as I'd like to drive to Newfoundland. My understanding is that the Sun Country chargers are AC so it's helpful to have dual chargers, which I do not. There is also a CHAdeMO at South Portland recreation center, but it's farther off the interstates than downtown. I'm hoping for the superchargers at or near Portland and Bangor, and more beyond...