Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I'd never buy an electric car" said the Nissan salesman as I turned in my Leaf lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I handed the keys to him for my Nissan Leaf at the end of my lease, the salesman said, "I'd never buy an electric car." That right there is why Nissan will never overcome the problem Tesla won't ever encounter - a sales force that doesn't understand, doesn't advocate, and can't educate consumers about EVs. I told him I had gotten a Tesla and he said, "I'm sure that's a lease, too, right? You wouldn't want to be stuck with that after a few years." I smiled and thought about how I planned to drive my purchased Tesla for many, many years. Goodbye, ICE world & dealer world, goodbye forever.

As I handed the keys to him for my Nissan Leaf at the end of my lease, the salesman said, "I'd never buy an electric car." That right there is why Nissan will never overcome the problem Tesla won't ever encounter - a sales force that doesn't understand, doesn't advocate, and can't educate consumers about EVs. I told him I had gotten a Tesla and he said, "I'm sure that's a lease, too, right? You wouldn't want to be stuck with that after a few years." I smiled and thought about how I planned to drive my purchased Tesla for many, many years. Goodbye, ICE world & dealer world, goodbye forever.

I have noticed this same pattern with two different Nissan dealers in my area. At the one in Bessemer (where I went to get mine), the sales rep told me, "I don't know that much about them," and I had to teach him all about the whole concept; later, I sent a friend of mine to look at the LEAF at the dealer in Tuscaloosa, and this other sales rep bizarrely said exactly the same thing - "I don't know that much about them." My friend was dismayed by this response & left without a car.

We took our LEAF in last week for its 2-year checkup, and the service people didn't seem to know how to charge it. My wife drove it home without a charge (fortunately, it had enough power left).

I can only put this down to ignorance based on a lack of training, perhaps the root cause being perhaps that Nissan doesn't really want to push these cars - they are not profitable to sell. Better for the sales people to promote SUVs and trucks.

Why discus this in a Tesla forum? Precisely this: Tesla seems to be absolutely correct in insisting on selling cars without the albatross of an uninterested & unenthusiastic dealer network.

Well, actually misinformed salespeople (albeit not quite as severe) is a large component to the issue that we have been having in China. That said, the Tesla CEO is quite aware and is aggressively addressing the issue - another key difference b/w Tesla and Nissan

I think you should go back and give him a ride in your Tesla. Sounds like he has some dire misconceptions about what an electric car is, which a quick tour will clear right up.

A good idea. When I tell people about having an electric car, the most frequent reply I get contains the phrase "golf cart" somewhere. Thing is, now having driven an electric & gotten used to the smooth, silent power - I intend to keep one to drive indefinitely because they are so great to drive. (All the naysayer articles purporting to "debunk" environmental benefits notwithstanding.)

New technologies are often fought by an entrenched group who have a vested interest in the status quo. I'm sure that the conversion from horses to cars was also a struggle. (At least with a car, you don't have manure to shovel in city streets!)

I'm guessing that some Nissan dealers do have a clue. Still, the head of Nissan (somewhere, sorry, can't remember) has been on record as saying he doesn't want people to buy the Leaf. It's a compliance car, to make the company look good by showing photos of it. As with other car companies, Nissan is still dominated the oil industry, which may permit photos of an EV but knows how to prevent it from selling amidst a lineup of gasoline cars. That makes it difficult for the Volt to succeed as well, although I don't know how it's doing and what GM's attitude towards it is (as opposed to what it says). How it's really doing may affect how the Bolt will sell.

Still, the head of Nissan (somewhere, sorry, can't remember) has been on record as saying he doesn't want people to buy the Leaf. It's a compliance car, to make the company look good by showing photos of it.

I think you might be confusing Nissan with Fiat - Carlos Ghosn, head of Nissan has always been very pro-EV. It was the boss of Fiat who asked people not to buy the 500e, which is a pure compliance car

Our Nissan dealer sales and service are very supportive and service is knowledgeable. Drove the Leaf for 2 years then bought the Tesla. The sales manager said. " Dam I wish they would let me buy and drive one. They also are Tesla friendly charging. There are a few Tesla/Leaf owners on this form.

Lets check our egos for a second, and consider the perspective.

I can understand his thoughts. On the one hand, his primary experience is the Leaf - not exactly the best looking car. It doesn't give any presence or invoke much emotion other than a couple of giggles when you see it and think of a circus jingle - it suffers from the old school design of EVs - make em as weird looking as possible so people know its an EV. Lame. That doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that its range is limited to barely practical for most of the population except those living within a few miles of their destination or those that can ensure a charge station (and a long delay) wherever they end up.

Then on the other hand, you have got the Tesla that redefines EV but is reserved for the top 10% in the world due to its cost. GM is moving towards the light with their new (largely) EV Cadillac...again, anything of beauty, quality and high function being cost prohibitive to all except top income earners. Id cut him some slack and put it back on the auto manufacturers to start thinking about an offering like the Tesla Model 3 - that couldn't come sooner to adjust the larger market's perspective.

Hmmmm... I'm not really willing to cut car dealers and salesmen, as a class or group, any slack (didn't mean to imply "classy" with the use of the word "class"). I understand the system that they are embroiled in does not really allow them, as a group, to embrace EVs. They'll do what will make them the most profit, I get that. But they don't get a pass just because of that.

That said, I also want to acknowledge that small subset of dealers and salesmen who do their damnedest for the cause of EVs, within that anti-system. There are a couple of dealerships where I live (a Nissan/Infiniti, and a GM) who have people doing the right thing and yes, actually in a classy way. So kudos to them.

But the sad fact is far too many dealers/salesmen have the attitude of the OP's experience.

100% agree.

EVs such as Teslas and Caddys are just too darn expensive. A typical car buyer may consider the MS because of whatever reason - looks, minimum maintenance, etc - but when they see the price tag, it turns them off big time, simply because of their financial situation.

The Model 3 will be a game changer! The new buyers will now enjoy the rewards of driving an EV plus the positive experience when they go to a service center. Then we'll see a shift. This is when we, early adaptors, will start complaining that we need more charging stations.... :tongue:

Lets check our egos for a second, and consider the perspective.

I can understand his thoughts. On the one hand, his primary experience is the Leaf - not exactly the best looking car. It doesn't give any presence or invoke much emotion other than a couple of giggles when you see it and think of a circus jingle - it suffers from the old school design of EVs - make em as weird looking as possible so people know its an EV. Lame. That doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that its range is limited to barely practical for most of the population except those living within a few miles of their destination or those that can ensure a charge station (and a long delay) wherever they end up.

Then on the other hand, you have got the Tesla that redefines EV but is reserved for the top 10% in the world due to its cost. GM is moving towards the light with their new (largely) EV Cadillac...again, anything of beauty, quality and high function being cost prohibitive to all except top income earners. Id cut him some slack and put it back on the auto manufacturers to start thinking about an offering like the Tesla Model 3 - that couldn't come sooner to adjust the larger market's perspective.

But... Toyota is launching an EV soon. It's powered by a fool cell instead of batteries, but that doesn't really change its electric nature. Seems like an odd statement.

Went ahead and fixed that for ya ;)

With the energy required to create, distribute, transport, deliver, store and process hydrogen... it's a win for...?

Of course if you have it as a byproduct of nuclear fusion (yes fusion, not fission), then... why not..

I'll stick with a big laptop battery over carrying explosive fuels though... thank you very much lol

Who's going to buy a car that you can only drive between hydrogen filling stations?

I can plug in anywhere the lights are on! which, at last check outnumbers gas stations about a billion to one.

As I handed the keys to him for my Nissan Leaf at the end of my lease, the salesman said, "I'd never buy an electric car." That right there is why Nissan will never overcome the problem Tesla won't ever encounter - a sales force that doesn't understand, doesn't advocate, and can't educate consumers about EVs.
I think there's a bit of a flaw in your logic. The role of a car salesman is not to understand, advocate, or educate. The role of a car salesman is to close deals. Period. Expecting otherwise is asking to be screwed.

The real issue is that a Nissan dealer sells EV's and ICE's. Assuming all cars sell for a little over invoice, the dealership is going to prefer to sell ICE's, in hopes of future service revenue.

If their boss wants them to sell ICE's with more future service revenue, that's what they will push, regardless of what is best for the customer, environment, or manufacturer.