Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Batteries in DFW, Oncor Micro-Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a sneak peak of the Tesla Batteries being used in Oncor's Micro-Grid. Oncor's Environmental Lab isn't open yet in Lancaster, but I was there today. I needed a charge, so I hooked up hoping the juice was on. It was.
Oncor EV Charging.jpg

I was looking at their Solar array, Ground Mounts, and electrical connections - when the electrician came out and spoke with me.
Oncor Solar.jpg

He said he thinks I was the first to use these chargers, and asked if I wanted to see the Tesla batteries. I said of course!!!
Tesla Battery2.jpg

Tesla Battery1.jpg

Tesla Battery3.jpg

He explained this Environmental Lab is going to be really cool, and he thinks they will have tours. I said I was interested, so he gave me a tour while they were painting the inside (How lucky am I?) He first showed me the Solar (Phase 2,) which I explained I knew plenty about; so then he showed me the Turbine (Phase 1.) This thing sounds exactly like a jet Turbine,because it is! This Micro-Grid needs 480 volts:

Turbine.jpg

He then explained there are 3 banks of Tesla Batteries (Phase 3,) which also are connected at 480 volts. I remember the last NTREG meeting how the speaker from ONCOR described the Micro-Grid coming into operation, but seeing it firsthand makes more sense. They are converting their whole operation in Lancaster to this Micro-Grid, which involves dividing the property into 3 sections. Here is the control room:
Micro Grid.jpg

...where the Turbine, Solar, Tesla batteries come into the building:
Connections.jpg

and connect inside. Even in Rain, the Solar is producing 2k:
PV 2amp.jpg

Looking at the rest of the property puts things into perspective. This place is HUGE. Dozens of buildings. Here is their mobile command facility:
Oncor Mobile Command.jpg

and acres & acres of transformers:
Transformers.jpg

So maybe this is the first seeing of Tesla Batteries in TX.