Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Europeans that unimportant that they can be handled as 2nd Class Customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my P85D today - One of the first in Germany because US customers get their delivery first and much faster.

Also it seems that the automatic closing Charger Port wont get delivered in Europe -> i see this as a lie to the customers as that feature is stated by Tesla itself on their blog for the P85D.

Also some parts of my car were that scratched or defective that i have to make an appointment were they try to fix those issues but i was also told that one bubble in my cars Paint will stay and that i have to cope with that. i have to drive there on my vacation and get a loaner for that.

I think that is not really acceptable but after waiting 5 months for that car i dont know what to do other than hope that they can fix that in some way.

i have never bought an car expensive that was in that kind of state....

I guess the US people are taken much more care of.

Agree about the missing self closing charger port. Tesla have not given any information that european cars will not get it. In Norway even they that work for Tesla was not aware about the european D cars missing that feature :/

Also a new car should be in perfect condition. You should not agree that the paint have a bubble and other imperfections.

I just took delivery of my P85D today - One of the first in Germany because US customers get their delivery first and much faster.

Also it seems that the automatic closing Charger Port wont get delivered in Europe -> i see this as a lie to the customers as that feature is stated by Tesla itself on their blog for the P85D.

Also some parts of my car were that scratched or defective that i have to make an appointment were they try to fix those issues but i was also told that one bubble in my cars Paint will stay and that i have to cope with that. i have to drive there on my vacation and get a loaner for that.

I think that is not really acceptable but after waiting 5 months for that car i dont know what to do other than hope that they can fix that in some way.

i have never bought an car expensive that was in that kind of state....

I guess the US people are taken much more care of.
Welcome to the TMC forum!
Your username and post count might cause some people to wonder about some of the details in your post, also, it might make sense to combine your post with the overall P85D delivery thread.
But let's talk about what you wrote above...
My car in the US was also delivered with some issues (you don't give a lot of details on what is "defective") and so far has spent more time at the service center than with me. But my experience with the service center and delivery staff was extremely different from what you describe. Throughout the process there was a very strong focus on making sure I was happy and that the issues were addressed. I'm shocked that your local service center is showing the attitude that you describe...

As to the charging port door - my understanding is that this part is completely different on US and European cars, so it's possible that there is some miscommunication...

Share your feeling, everybody is praising Tesla and such. And lets get the facts , sure it is one hell of a car! And drives perfectly and some drive "Insane" but still if they don't improve their delivery quality it can bite them back.
For example if you need a part to be replaced you have to wait weeks or months before it is available, you will not have this with any other car vendor, even Ferrari is able to supply parts faster than Tesla is.
Communication between Tesla and Customer is some how poor, for example the charge port everywhere it was stated that it will close by itself and now suddenly when delivering european cars that port is some how different. And most people say ok it doesn't matter but in fact it does, sure I can close it my self similar as with my ICE car but something was promised. A few years ago when I bought an Audi suddenly I found out that there was no Iso fix in the backseat although all folders and materials stated otherwise I called the dealer and they had to enable the option once they did on the final invoice the ISO fix was invoiced, I did not pay that part as in first instance it was already there and later became a optional item.

Besides that emailing with the DS is slow and sluggish. A few simple questions take days to get a response. And the answer is always: I don't know why it is delayed. In my opinion Tesla gets to much credit for her customers. Still the car is unbelievable they need to improve a lot ASAP. People are paying a lot and are not wanting to wait on spare parts for months if something breaks down.

And regarding your paint bubble they need to fix it.

Not sure how you are a second class citizen. I am a previous BMW guy - you Europeans ALWAYS get the new models and features AT LEAST 6 months before we do - it is usually more like 9 months. The paint is a problem world-wide. That appears to be the biggest down side of California production - no volatiles are allowed which seems to mean soft, flakey, inferior paint. They have announced that they are working on this and are about to install an entirely new paint system. It sounds like the charge door has yet to be fully engineered; your government did require an entirely different charge connection, so that part may very well be very different, and Tesla remains a small company.
Now, on my BMW TPMS only lists green/red; vast sections of the rest of the world get to see actual tire pressure. Even if we have a DVD playing, with a relatively large screen, can't play video while in motion (not for driver but for rear seated passengers to watch); much of the rest of the world can. I can open my truck from the remote, but not close it. Rest of the world can close it. Gosh, right now I can't recall all the other features BMW denies us here ... even though we are their biggest market.

i was also told that one bubble in my cars Paint will stay and that i have to cope with that.

You should not accept that response! I am sorry that your service center told you this, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Tesla needs to make this right even if it means taking your car back and making you a new one. Push the issue, go up the chain as high as you can until you are satisfied. If you can't get anywhere with your EU contacts, you can try Jerome Guillen who is the Sr. VP of Sales & Service. He will surely make this right. His email address is jguillen at teslamotors.com. I avoid typing out the actual email address so that spambots don't collect.

The wait time isn't surprising or atypical for carmakers, even huge manufacturers, for customers overseas.

For example, I'm currently in the middle of a six month wait for a delivery of a standard-equipped smart Electric Drive in the United States, and that model was introduced state-side in early 2013.

"Peculiar first post.
And screen name REALLY odd.
Dare I suggest the word t****l**g?" Could just be a non-English-as-a-first-language issue.

I wonder if the Type 2 charger socket on the EU MS' is the reason behind them not coming with the auto-closing door? Just not enough room? I don't think I'll be cancelling my MS over it, though.

What are they going to do about that when the autonomous thing happens? I suppose the robot that unplugs the car could close the charge port too? MW

I got positive news that they try to fix it soon and that i should write a list if i come across more issues - they want me to be satisfied. I hope they can achieve that alsp found some weird part that looks like a little deformed aluminium right after the passenger window but i let them check that then - maybe only a minor issue. Also i was told that they will retrofit the autoclosing charger port to all european cars- i try to get a written conformation of that when i take delivery of my p85d after those fixes.

I got positive news that they try to fix it soon and that i should write a list if i come across more issues - they want me to be satisfied. I hope they can achieve that alsp found some weird part that looks like a little deformed aluminium right after the passenger window but i let them check that then - maybe only a minor issue. Also i was told that they will retrofit the autoclosing charger port to all european cars- i try to get a written conformation of that when i take delivery of my p85d after those fixes.
Thanks for the update. Great news.

Ahh, retrofit of autoclose charge port saved my day... Please paste your confirmation if they give you one.
..small feature but I forgot to close it for so many times ;)

Are Europeans that unimportant that they can be handled as 2nd Class Customers?

At least that happens when Tesla - even though Elon keeps telling the contrary - starts shivering, jittering towards the end of each quarter. That is very annoying - and illogic, of course, because every car not shipped until the end of quarter will improve the next quarter's sales - why does that matter so much?

When ordering in October, it said "Model S 85 D are to be delivered in March, while the P's arrive in February" all over the press releases and the homepage. Being a bit more realistic about that, I imagined it could be a month later, April to say. Which then contradicts the Tesla policy of not delivering to Europe in April at all - well, one might have thought they'll try and change that. But... FAIL!

In fact, it would be nothing but fair NOT to allow "April", "Late April", "May" delivery dates to show up neither in myTesla, nor on the ordering homepage AT ALL for European customers. Because it just won't happen!

What happened last week? All our European Model S got moved from April/Late April to Late May, earliest. While we keep reading of U.S. customers that "a slot has opened, the DS told me", and the cars are due to be delivered in March. Last production date in March for a car picked up at the factory must be very late in March, which means they'll start do produce European targeted Model S again 1-2 days before the end of the month, earlies. Which then will be delivered in the second half of May - if at all.

Please understand: I'm not angry about any U.S. or Canadian customer at all, I'm glad for them to get their cars earlier, and I accept that, when Tesla builds cars for the rest of the World, they are the ones who might have to wait a little longer. My rant only addresses Tesla itself and their marketing/selling/communication responsible ones! That's not how it should be done.

If it's 'common' to poop one's own pants for an U.S. company whenever the end of a quarter gets close - tick, do so, it's your right. I (maybe one day) can understand that. But then, if you decide to go that way, at least do it consequently and be honest about it! Don't tell people quarters aren't important to you (Elon, that means!), and don't promise "April" delivery dates as - like past records tell us - it is very very very unlikely for a Tesla to get delivered in April, July, October or January in Europe.

/rant over. Enjoy your cars! And the wait! While I might have been a little pi...ed at the beginning, I feel better now ;)

i asked Jerome Guillen about the promised Autoclose chargeport and that is his reply that really made me feeling like a 2nd class customer as a european citizen:

Thank you for your note. The power charge port door is not yet available in Europe. It will not be ready for several months. This is not a retrofittable feature.

I understand that this might be disappointing news. The designs are not compatible.

Many thanks for your continued support.

I would not be that unhappy if they would have told us that this is an US customer only feature. It was promised for every dual motor Model S.
And even making that not retrofittable should be enough to think about starting a lawsuit. :cursing:

You Euro guys have to understand that Tesla is still a small company (despite its market cap), reinvesting every dollar (and Euro) that comes in. However, it's not that small where unlimited customization is possible. For example, I asked if I could get the 3 phase charger in my S85D, as I live in a mixed-use (residential and commercial) building with 3 phase power, which is standard in the European cars. The answer was no.

Bottom line, if your complaints are so severe, buy something else or wait a few years. You are still going to get way more innovation from Tesla (as in OTA upgrades) than you will get from Audi, BMW, MB, etc.

You Euro guys have to understand that Tesla is still a small company (despite its market cap), reinvesting every dollar (and Euro) that comes in. However, it's not that small where unlimited customization is possible. For example, I asked if I could get the 3 phase charger in my S85D, as I live in a mixed-use (residential and commercial) building with 3 phase power, which is standard in the European cars. The answer was no.
You are talking of something completely different you wanted a car delivered outside of the standard delivered car in the US. I am talking about Tesla lying to all non US Buyers and promising stuff that they wont ship to european customers at all!

As said above, this is a communication problem and they will be way better off learning it now than later.

New company or not, small or not, reinvesting every dollar or not - get that sorted out ASAP! They keep promising, and they are not forced to do so but by their own. As Venomtoxic said: this could once go down the wrong route! Be it a lawsuit, be it very bad propaganda...

Automatic charge port for every D: FAIL
retro fit: FAIL
Show correct back seats i ordering process: FAIL
Deliver cars ordered within hours from D day: FAIL in favor of who ever orders the same car elsewhere, months later.
Showing realistic delivery dates in an online tool nobody forces you to offer: FAIL
Topspeed as promised: FAIL, so far
More range for P85D: FAIL?

I can only repeat: we won't order elsewhere as we are fans of the car itself and want it badly. But once the wrong people get aware... Negative press isbabout guaranteed.
And the solution would be easy: just keep quiet, sometimes...