Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shuffling off to Buffalo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was my first experience at a destination without a Supercharger.
I left home with a moderate charge and fully charged at the Toronto Lawrence Supercharger For the 180km trip to West Seneca south of Buffalo. Estimate was 40% charge at destination. Interestingly this estimate went down to 36% but around St. Catharines was back at 40%.
At my friends garage we jury rigged an adapter to the 220V AC plug. The Tesla displayed a "Charging Problem" message but correctly adapted itself to the 30 Amps. Voltage was low at 207 V and charging was at 30 km/h.

When I left around 6pm it indicated that I would have a 10% battery charge at the Toronto SC destination but it went down to 4% by the time I approached Niagara Falls. So I got on the internet and found the Taps Brewhouse with a decent Level 2 charger. When I arrived a van was parked there but the charging cable was long enough to reach me being parked in front of this. It was charging at 69 km per hour. Then the Klutzes who parked there left and I was able to properly park. So I went in and had a beer and the chicken wings which were on special.

When I came out the charging had stopped and the car was shut down. This was most likely due to leaving it in Range Mode. I started off but noticed that the estimate was only 10% again. By St. Catharines it was down to 7% and warned me to drive slowly. So I put it on cruise control at 105 km/h ( 65 mph ) and followed a truck. By Hamilton It was up to 9% and soon I was at 10% again.
Just before the Toronto Supercharger on the DVP I realized I had put "Home" into the Navigation and actually had plenty to spare. Anyway, charged up at 535 km per hour and in 20 minutes left for home.

Should have called me on the way home Stefan...we have 2 brand new Sun Country 100 amp charge stations here in Grimsby...call me next time & we'll grab a bite to eat! :smile:

I actually sent a note to the Grimsby power company that's sponsoring these. My first "mini road trip" ever was to drive to Grimsby for lunch (for Toronto) just because the charger was there :)