Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reflective wrap on my brake calipers (w/ pictures)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been the proud owner of my second hand pearl white P85 for a little over two weeks now. My P85 did not have red calipers and I was looking to paint them, but then I found some 3M reflective wrap that can be used for calipers.

Yesterday I got them wrapped - here's some pictures. I will post better pictures when I get my 21" grey turbine Wheels on and with clean car (I got it Opticoat'ed last weekend, so I can't wash the car for 3-4 weeks :mad:)

- - - Updated - - -

Another photo without the flash...

Attachments

• IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 5,240
  • IMG_2891.JPG
    IMG_2891.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 5,127
  • IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 4,920
  • IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 4,931
  • IMG_2899.JPG
    IMG_2899.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 4,853
Thx :). Yes, nothing was remove. There are overlays in the wrap, but it's nearly impossible to see. The guy who wrapped the calipers made the letters on his own (don't even know how). The price was approx. 600 USD, but I've seen much lower quotes on on US websites (I live in Denmark which is expensive :))

Thanks for the positive feedback - I will post better quality pictures with 21" grey turbines. The wrap is rated at ~210F/100C, but I have no idea how hot calipers get?

Calipers can go over 250C but that's when seals start to degrade and you can vaporize fluid. Brembo usually rated to keep below 200C. They sell thermometer stickers to monitor this and guard against vaporization. But if you are not racing, you may never get near those temperatures, although 100C seems low to me for a brake part. Am interested to see how it works for you over time. Looks great!

Calipers can go over 250C but that's when seals start to degrade and you can vaporize fluid. Brembo usually rated to keep below 200C. They sell thermometer stickers to monitor this and guard against vaporization. But if you are not racing, you may never get near those temperatures, although 100C seems low to me for a brake part. Am interested to see how it works for you over time. Looks great!
On most Brembos, or at least those in traditional "Brembo Red," you don't even need a temp sticker. They just permanently turn brown when they get too hot. They even have a jokey unofficial name: Brownbos.

Chance of lapping a Model S hard enough to overheat the brakes, though? ~0%. I tried pretty hard, too.

I found custom made Alum caliper covers at Carid.com Any color with the Tesla logo or T for $400.
I may try them if they fit the 19" wheels.
If not this Wrap is next. Just need to cut my own Tesla lettering to apply.

You can order the letters on eBay (mine is "custom" made"), so I don't know the quality of them):

set of 6 tesla Caliper decals Tesla stickers motors model s model x model 3 | eBay

Another option: http://formytesla.com/caliper-paint-kit/product/listing.html

I tried to wrap them myself today.. all the material cost was about $50. Lets just say vinyl wrapping is definitely an art, and I am not that good of an artist :rolleyes: ... stock calipers remain... need to find a professional or go to plan B (Paint, replace or covers)...

I tried to wrap them myself today.. all the material cost was about $50. Lets just say vinyl wrapping is definitely an art, and I am not that good of an artist :rolleyes: ... stock calipers remain... need to find a professional or go to plan B (Paint, replace or covers)...
:) I actually wondered whether I could have done it myself - glad you confirmed that I couldn't :). Here's another picture with my 21" turbines

FullSizeRender_small.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 2,789