Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any plans for wi-fi and webcams at supercharger stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most supercharger stations have coffee shops and restraunts with wi-fi nearby. You can buy a drink, use the restroom, enjoy a confortable seat and use wi-fi. Before you know it, it will be time to leave for the next charger.

GSP

Are there any plans for wi-fi and webcams at supercharger stations? I did a search and could not find any online. Any stations equipped so?

I like the webcam idea: you could use the car's Web browser to see if a supercharger has empty stalls before committing to get off the highway. OTOH, the status of Superchargers is currently known to Tesla via telemetry and they haven't seen fit to make it available to owners. It wouldn't tell you about ICEing, but it would be useful nonetheless.

Are there any plans for wi-fi and webcams at supercharger stations? I did a search and could not find any online. Any stations equipped so?
There are no plans to do that as far as I know, and there are no Supercharger statins with those features.

Tesla has enough to do just to make sure the company survives and is successful, they don't need to expend resources to add those features. Remember, Tesla will be adding solar PV canopies to many Superchargers, and that is far more important in my opinion.

I like the webcam idea: you could use the car's Web browser to see if a supercharger has empty stalls before committing to get off the highway. OTOH, the status of Superchargers is currently known to Tesla via telemetry and they haven't seen fit to make it available to owners. It wouldn't tell you about ICEing, but it would be useful nonetheless.

The webcam would also provide a security feature.

How about an app that lets users update each SC stall status as of a certain time- Tesla charging, Tesla done charging, ICE, out of service? Photos could also be added as a substitute for streaming webcam. User device could also indicate ETA to station to determine future charge demand. It would be best if functionality was integrated into official tesla app so that user would be pre-vetted and trackable.

I've been toying with the idea to build a stand alone, solar-powered, device which uses an ultrasonic ranging sensor to detect if someone's parked. The device would hop on to the host's wi-fi network (or use SMS if no connection is available), and push out a tweet or post on PlugShare to update the status. If bandwidth permits, I would also include a webcam.

I've posted about it on other forums, but there wasn't any interest. I have most of the components, just need to find the time and write the software, so I can install it at a test site.

I'm not sure why ChargePoint isn't including this to begin with. They already have a network connection, and the hardware is cheap.

The webcam would also provide a security feature.

Or a Lack Of Security feature. Excellent stalker tool. If camera resolution is sufficient to recognize the vehicle a bad guy wouldn't even have to get off his butt to know you just arrived at your regular Supercharger and that you won't be home for a definite time.

It would be nice if Tesla would post information as to which bays are in use and approximately how long before they would be free, if use is sufficient to warrant this information. In my one visit to a Supercharger there were never more than 3 cars charging for 6 bays. Have visited the Indianapolis Supercharger 3 times in my ICE and never seen it in use. So at least in my Supercharger-sparse travels I don't find use warrants online activity indicators.

Or a Lack Of Security feature. Excellent stalker tool. If camera resolution is sufficient to recognize the vehicle a bad guy wouldn't even have to get off his butt to know you just arrived at your regular Supercharger and that you won't be home for a definite time.

It would be nice if Tesla would post information as to which bays are in use and approximately how long before they would be free, if use is sufficient to warrant this information. In my one visit to a Supercharger there were never more than 3 cars charging for 6 bays. Have visited the Indianapolis Supercharger 3 times in my ICE and never seen it in use. So at least in my Supercharger-sparse travels I don't find use warrants online activity indicators.

That same bad guy could just outsource that stalking job to a 2nd partner ;)

Yes, but a network camera would help to know if stalls are ICE'd for both drivers and Tesla.

I'd rather not have to pull up a camera to see. I can imagine that a camera could simply be used as a "presence detector" similar to how they are now being used at traffic lights instead of detectors in the roadway. The Supercharger map on the 17" could then show a status of stall occupied/unoccupied. That's really all you need to know.