Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in SC for windshield replacement, now it has TPMS issues???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I didn't which thread to put this in so mods can move if appropriate. So Monday morning on my way to work, driving on I-680 a huge golf ball size rock flies up out of nowhere and hits my windshield. Leaves a nice crack and start of a hole. I call my insurance and Tesla Service immediately and they setup an appointment the next day, Tues. for them to replace the windshield. So I drop off my car Tues morning in Fremont for the repair, they give me a ICE as loaner, (all out of loaner S's), and I head to work. They said it should be ready by the end of the day. Well sure enough, I get a call at the end of the day saying that it is ready for pickup and so after work I head back to Fremont to pick it up.

I talk to the Service Advisor and look over the paperwork to get my car, we shake hands, and I get in my car to leave and notice that a firmware update has been done (to .179). The windshield looks great, and then I start to drive away. Well while still on Fremont Blvd, I see that the TPMS indicator light is on and isn't going away so I double check the paperwork and I confirmed that they adjusted the tire pressure to 45 PSI, which I think is standard? So I pull the car back into the Service Center and go back to the service advisor and let him know. He drives it around the parking lot and it doesn't go away. He then says he's going to pull it back into the shop for the technicians to check it. Well they check the tire pressure and everything seems normal, but they can't figure out why the indicator light won't turn off. I said that this indicator light never showed up on the previous firmware and asked if they could roll it back. There answer? No, we can't do that. Now I've worked in many different production environments and have never heard of NOT being able to roll back a push. :confused: Anyway, this all happened yesterday. Today (3/11) they look over the car again and then decide that the issue was the TPMS Control Unit and that they are going to replace it. I responded back with, I don't think that is the issue because it was working perfectly prior to you guys updating the firmware. The Service Advisor didn't respond back to me. Well this afternoon around 4pm, I get another email from him, "We've replaced the TPMS control unit and that didn't fix it, we're going to need to continue to investigate this." UGH!

I did tell them that I'd be happy to sign an NDA if they wanted to give me a newer firmware like..*cough*..6.2...*cough*. :biggrin: They didn't respond to that either.:( And to think, this all started with a windshield replacement...:rolleyes:

I did tell them that I'd be happy to sign an NDA if they wanted to give me a newer firmware like..*cough*..6.2...*cough*. :biggrin: They didn't respond to that either.:( And to think, this all started with a windshield replacement...:rolleyes:
Good thing this didn't work or dozens of us would be out there throwing golf ball sized rocks at our windshield in hopes to be added to the EAP... :-D

Weird. On .179 here too, but no permanent TPMS issues. I do have an intermittent issue where the car throws a TPMS needs service error randomly and then it goes away but this behavior has survived various 6.x builds. Perhaps it is a specific hardware incompatibility with your car? Speculating, but maybe a reflash of the same firmware might do the trick? May not have grabbed the appropriate driver file.

Weird. On .179 here too, but no permanent TPMS issues. I do have an intermittent issue where the car throws a TPMS needs service error randomly and then it goes away but this behavior has survived various 6.x builds. Perhaps it is a specific hardware incompatibility with your car? Speculating, but maybe a reflash of the same firmware might do the trick? May not have grabbed the appropriate driver file.
Intermittent random errors. Hmm - your Sig of course doesn't tell you which one it is. Has the SC looked into this? My guess would be that one of the four sensors is faulty...

Tire pressure is 50 PSI on my 85D.

Hey everyone,

I didn't which thread to put this in so mods can move if appropriate. So Monday morning on my way to work, driving on I-680 a huge golf ball size rock flies up out of nowhere and hits my windshield. Leaves a nice crack and start of a hole. I call my insurance and Tesla Service immediately and they setup an appointment the next day, Tues. for them to replace the windshield. So I drop off my car Tues morning in Fremont for the repair, they give me a ICE as loaner, (all out of loaner S's), and I head to work. They said it should be ready by the end of the day. Well sure enough, I get a call at the end of the day saying that it is ready for pickup and so after work I head back to Fremont to pick it up.

I talk to the Service Advisor and look over the paperwork to get my car, we shake hands, and I get in my car to leave and notice that a firmware update has been done (to .179). The windshield looks great, and then I start to drive away. Well while still on Fremont Blvd, I see that the TPMS indicator light is on and isn't going away so I double check the paperwork and I confirmed that they adjusted the tire pressure to 45 PSI, which I think is standard? So I pull the car back into the Service Center and go back to the service advisor and let him know. He drives it around the parking lot and it doesn't go away. He then says he's going to pull it back into the shop for the technicians to check it. Well they check the tire pressure and everything seems normal, but they can't figure out why the indicator light won't turn off. I said that this indicator light never showed up on the previous firmware and asked if they could roll it back. There answer? No, we can't do that. Now I've worked in many different production environments and have never heard of NOT being able to roll back a push. :confused: Anyway, this all happened yesterday. Today (3/11) they look over the car again and then decide that the issue was the TPMS Control Unit and that they are going to replace it. I responded back with, I don't think that is the issue because it was working perfectly prior to you guys updating the firmware. The Service Advisor didn't respond back to me. Well this afternoon around 4pm, I get another email from him, "We've replaced the TPMS control unit and that didn't fix it, we're going to need to continue to investigate this." UGH!

There was discussion on this in another thread. Some cars show a recommended pressure of 45psi, others show 50psi. I don't think there was a consensus why that was happening...

/D

As someone else alluded through up thread, the firmware could be misconfigured for the Op's car and be trying to apply the 50 psi expectation against the 45 psi sticker and making the TPMS sensors feel there is an under inflation event. But this is pure speculation on my part.