Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking range over time - adding to the battery table

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When trying to figure out the whole A battery pack vs. later batteries issue, we created a battery table.
I was wondering if people would be willing to add another useful dimension to this... tracking the 90% (actually, better 100% equivalent) range of the cars over time?
We could add more columns to the table and people could enter data that would help analyze things:

Date, FW version, mileage, 100% equivalent value (if you charge to 90%, multiply the range you see by 1.11)

If we add multiple blocks of these four columns then one could get an idea what's roughly "normal" for a certain age / mileage of a car.

Thoughts? Too much work? Too many variables to control for?

I talked to Tom at TMC Connect in Monterrey. His data are geared towards a different question. I was hoping to get different data points for the same batteries over time. Have people update this once every six months and literally track the performance of individual cars /batteries

These things are always sort of hit-or-miss with regards to uptake, but the idea sounds fantastic. I've found that in this sort of model, it helps a lot to have a very specific set of "Test procedures" for people to follow... otherwise the data gets skewed...

Do you have suggestions how these procedures should look?
Charge to 90%, range mode off, A/C on, rated miles, value right after charging finishes?
What else needs to be specified?
I don't want to ask people to do 100% charges, nor do I want to ask them to run the battery to a low SOC before the charge as I think this would reduce the number of contributions too much.
But are there other easy to control for variables?

I think that's the right approach. The main thing (IMHO) is just to specify some set of parameters, not necessarily to get those parameters exactly correct. If 90% is the "daily" set and that's what most people use, then that makes sense as we're trying to get as much participation as possible, yes?