Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Auto Pilot detect large animals like deer, elk or moose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if Auto Pilot warn for large animals, like deer or Elk? I was driving home from Yellowstone last Sunday and had to stop 15 times for Elk or deer on the 90 mile trip home. I don't have auto Pilot but wondered if it can detect such critters. I have been looking into a FLIR company called Nav.TV Welcome to NAV TV | NAV TV - Leader in OEM Video Integration

Here is a moose on FLIR on a road so slippery the moose almost falls down, I would love to know in advance to slow on a slippery road that a moose was there.

[video]https://navtv.com/swf/IR_moose.html[/video]

Deer

[video]https://youtu.be/DR1ghP_5W9E[/video]

people

[video]https://youtu.be/7box0EU_9Cs[/video]

they have not been able to integrate their monitor into the Central Display in my S85, so I would have to add another Monitor below it. I am talking with them to see if we can do a temporary monitor on my dash with a bean bag set up and wires that have fast disconnect so I could hook it up for trips at night and disconnect when in town doing mostly day driving. An audio warning would be very helpful to direct my attention to the Monitor when it detects something.
Mercedes and BMW has a Night Vision option integrated into some of their cars.

I have never been in an accident with another human, only with an Elk(in our Ford van). I want to avoid this type of accident in my S85 at all costs. It might be a reason for me to upgrade to a new MS with Auto Pilot if I knew it had the ability to warn for deer, elk or moose. Any ideas?
BTW, this is the very first time I have started a Thread so feel free to correct anything I may have done incorrectly :)

Last edited:
As you're undoubtedly aware, Autopilot software isn't out yet so we don't know. I'm hoping and expecting that it will identify and avoid animals, people, and (at least large) potholes in the road with some combination of radar and camera (the ultrasound doesn't reach far enough at anything more than a crawl.)
Walter

As you're undoubtedly aware, Autopilot software isn't out yet so we don't know. I'm hoping and expecting that it will identify and avoid animals, people, and (at least large) potholes in the road with some combination of radar and camera (the ultrasound doesn't reach far enough at anything more than a crawl.)
Walter
Briefly I thought you wrote "will [...] avoid [...] people [...] (at least large [ones])[...]"
Thankfully that isn't what you wrote :)

It can see pedestrians[1], so I'd expect it can see animals. Soft objects would certainly be picked up by the ultrasonics, but you'd obviously want that done via image recognition whenever possible to have more time to prepare. I think since the car can be fully autonomous on private property, there have to be protections for people and animals, but it's possible their effectiveness diminishes at higher speeds.

[1] Tesla Adds All-Wheel-Drive, Autopilot to Electric Cars - WSJ

This not only is an important concern, but is especially important to me. Below, "Rush Hour in Paxson" (note the glare ice. Those caribou were slipping worse than a politician in a cathouse).
Rush Hour in Paxson.jpeg

And with traffic conditions like this, it was especially important for me to hear, during the "D" introduction, Mr Musk use words very close to "...and will pick up small furry things". I figure that Big Furry Things also will work.

It might be a reason for me to upgrade to a new MS with Auto Pilot if I knew it had the ability to warn for deer, elk or moose.

I too am hoping the autopilot collision avoidance features will help avoid deer. (I don'r encounter elk or moose around Ithaca.) The problem with deer, though, is that they're generally not standing in the road. The ones that are aren't usually the problem. The one deer I have hit, and the other deer that I've almost hit seemed hell-bent on getting hit because they jumped out in front of my car, from the brush or woods at the side of the road. Sure, assuming it has the ability to help in these situations, the Model S' collision avoidance is going to react more quickly than I would, but there's still going to be only so much it can do if we're travelling 45 MPH and a deer jumps out into the road ten feet in front of the car.

There is a thread on this site where the the CTO of Mobileye, states that Tesla has the latest chip of theirs installed. There are a lot of features coming. I just don't recall whether he said that this chip will recognise deer at night or whether it is the next chip due out later this year. Either way, Mobileye will have the capability by the end of this year.
What does the forward-facing radar ?
Post no. 6.

My experience so far with TACC is that it will not always pick up a non-moving non-vehicle object in the path of the vehicle... at least not before I would normally react to it. I can't say I've attempted to give the car a long time to react, but, with the following distance setting on the highest I've gotten pretty accustom to how far away before the car is going to react (start slowing) to a vehicle in front. It doesn't seem to react similarly to stationary objects. It sometimes doesn't react to stationary vehicles, either, as far as I can tell.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if the critter protection stuff was not very useful in the end.

I, too, have had a couple of instances wherein TACC failed to notice a stopped vehicle in front of me. It's a little scary since TACC normally brakes pretty hard when coming to a stop so I have to brake really hard by the time I notice that TACC is out to lunch. This is a pretty serious bug, IMHO.

I was wondering if Auto Pilot warn for large animals, like deer or Elk?

I was digging for radar information with google the other day in connection with another thread, and came across this:

Delphi ESR v9.21.15 - AutonomouStuff - Your Single Source Supplier for Autonomy Components

The radar unit I think is most likely to be what Tesla is using claims to be able to see pedestrians at 60m (200ft) in nominal conditions. Presumably it would see deer and elk at least as far away - similar body density and at least equal mass, but a bigger cross-sectional area (unless they are head-on...)
Walter

I was digging for radar information with google the other day in connection with another thread, and came across this:

Delphi ESR v9.21.15 - AutonomouStuff - Your Single Source Supplier for Autonomy Components

The radar unit I think is most likely to be what Tesla is using claims to be able to see pedestrians at 60m (200ft) in nominal conditions. Presumably it would see deer and elk at least as far away - similar body density and at least equal mass, but a bigger cross-sectional area (unless they are head-on...)
Walter

I might have to grab one of these to play with. Nice find. :)

I had a Ford F-150 and another car, a sedan, cross my non-limited access highway just today. TACC was at 75. They were perhaps 100 yds down the road. Not far. Broad daylight. TACC did not see a thing. No problem, I intervened early enough to have no risk. Based on that experience, I would say that it will not see large animals. So keep your eyes wide open.

But, just give them a few SW revs and we will be there. Amazing first go at it though. I love it.

I was wondering if Auto Pilot warn for large animals, like deer or Elk? I was driving home from Yellowstone last Sunday and had to stop 15 times for Elk or deer on the 90 mile trip home. I don't have auto Pilot but wondered if it can detect such critters. I have been looking into a FLIR company called Nav.TV

I was driving across the Navajo reservation last week and a herd of sheep crossed the road. I can assure you that the TACC did not notice them, and only a last minute punch of the brakes saved me from buying some mutton from the local Navajo shepherds.

BTW, after the watching Code Talkers - Wikipedia, there was a certain irony in listening to a Toyota commercial in the Navajo language on the radio.

So far in my experience, TACC seems to "see" similarly to a Jurassic Park T-Rex. As long as it's moving, even a little, it reacts to it. It doesn't seem to do well with completely stationery obstructions. Those seem to be hit or miss, no pun intended.