Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100,000 Total All Electric miles in one household...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice writeup, Dennis.

We don't drive as much as some, but let's see:
45k on PHEV Prius; about 10k of those on electric
20k on RAV4 EV
47k on Roadster
43k on Model S

So that gives us about 120k electric miles. That's since late 2008 though, so our per-day average isn't so high. About 52 miles per day? The only reason it is that high is the ~30k of electric road trips.

Nice writeup, Dennis.

We don't drive as much as some, but let's see:
45k on PHEV Prius; about 10k of those on electric
20k on RAV4 EV
47k on Roadster
43k on Model S

So that gives us about 120k electric miles. That's since late 2008 though, so our per-day average isn't so high. About 52 miles per day? The only reason it is that high is the ~30k of electric road trips.

Thanks ChadS. That's still greater than the 40 mile "average" that folks have used as guideline.

Do you still have all four vehicles? 1st Gen RAV4EV or 2nd Gen?

Not really; my wife and I are down to the Roadster and Model S. You could say we "kind of" still have the PHEV Prius (which we converted in 2008) as my son bought it and moved out on his own recently.

We sold our 2003 RAV4EV (which I bought in early 2009) after the Model S arrived in late 2012. The buyers were a nice couple from LA that already had one RAV4EV but wanted another so they could both drive one.

Several of the road trips - including the 11,000-mile one in the Model S last September - we wouldn't have taken if we had gas cars; we really are driving more now that we have electric cars. Which is good when it's replacing jet fuel, but bad if it's just random driving.

I think the 40-mile "average" is more of a median than a mean; it's just meant to get across the idea that most trips are fine in a short-range BEV, and you use a gas car for the exceptional long trip. Even though it's true, I've never found many people to be swayed by that argument; they focus in laser-sharp on that one exceptional no-warning cross-country trip they might take some day, and seem genuinely perplexed when you point out they could fly or take another car and think you are just trying to confuse them. (And of course they resolutely ignore PHEVs; they just want to "argue" about BEVs). But to me, it's like a carpenter hobbling himself by using a sledgehammer on cabinet finish nails because, hey, you never know when you might have to pound in that one really big nail, and you want to be ready...

I say, buy the car that is best for you 358 days of the year. (Or for me, 365. Now that Superchargers are in and we have a CHAdeMO adapter, I really can't see us ever wanting to use gas again. I don't mean just that we can avoid using gas on principle - I mean we PREFER to take an electric car, even though gas drivers can't believe us when we say that. DC charging really changes the game).

TheFleet.jpg

I don't miss the Prius, but I do kind of wish I had saved the RAV4. We didn't have room for it at the time, but we do now.

Last edited:
Excellent... So, what's your household average per day?
Between my wife (Leaf) and me (Tesla) we are averaging about 80 miles a day with our two commutes combined.
Then we have a regular trip that is about 558 miles round trip we take about every two months or so. We just did a trip to Monterey and back that was about 2200 miles.
Next big trip will be to the Formula E race in Longbeach California, that will be about 2600 miles or so by the time we get back.