Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I drive or tow my car to an Autocross / SOLO event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never been to a SOLO event, but I am going to give it a try. I don't know what to expect as far as how much battery it's going to take. The event is 40 miles from my house (one way). I haven't done a full range charge, but I charge to 184 in standard. I assume that will give me ~220 in range. Will that give me enough to get there and back AND get enough runs in? How many runs do you typically make at these events?

Or should I tow the car there on a trailer. I can rent a UHaul trailer for $50 and pull it with my wife's SUV. The track only has 110V 12A service available, so essentially no charging there.

Autocross is usually a mile track, or around there. Maybe 1.5 miles. But you're really putting your foot down obviously so you'll use a lot of kilowatts on the track. But Autocross isn't like normal racing - it's a precision event where your skill matters more than the motor and outright speed. So I think an EV will do well in that case since you're not depleting the battery going 120mph down the straights for a mile every lap like on a normal course.

Assume worst case scenario is you have 200 miles, minus 80 for the drive, equals 120 miles of range for the event. You're not going to eat that up on a few laps.

At 40 miles, I think you'll be fine...I did a charity autocross a few years ago about 80 km from my house...I range charged...as I recall, I did about a dozen runs...made it back with plenty to spare...I think in a regular (non-charity) event, you would do at least 3 runs...

I've never been to a SOLO event, but I am going to give it a try. I don't know what to expect as far as how much battery it's going to take. The event is 40 miles from my house (one way). I haven't done a full range charge, but I charge to 184 in standard. I assume that will give me ~220 in range. Will that give me enough to get there and back AND get enough runs in? How many runs do you typically make at these events?

Or should I tow the car there on a trailer. I can rent a UHaul trailer for $50 and pull it with my wife's SUV. The track only has 110V 12A service available, so essentially no charging there.

Yeah, I'm only interested in autocross / solo right now, too. It would be fun to go to an open lap day at High Plains Raceway, but having other cars on the track at the same time makes me nervous. Having never done autocross, I'm looking at taking the Starting Line class out at Front Range Airport.

- - - Updated - - -

At 40 miles, I think you'll be fine...I did a charity autocross a few years ago about 80 km from my house...I range charged...as I recall, I did about a dozen runs...made it back with plenty to spare...I think in a regular (non-charity) event, you would do at least 3 runs...
I hope more than 3 runs. I guess I should post on their forum and see what an average day holds. But good to know I won't need to tow. That would be a pain.

I've been autocrossing my Roadster for years. One thing I've noticed is it takes some practice to get good at it... and you don't use very much power until you become good at it... and it still doesn't take all that much.

Just check your range before/after your first run, and see how much you use. Then you'll be able to figure out how many times you can run. Almost certainly you'll be able to run all day and drive home.