Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does everyone have this nav glitch? (favorites distances not changing)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this glitch on my car and just wondering if everyone has it...

When I press Maps > Places ...there are 3 tabs, Favorites, Superchargers, and Recents. SCs and Recents seem to work fine, but when I press favorites the distances from each never change from that point on, no matter how far I travel (towards or away from them). Even if I click away and then back they are stuck on the original distance that they showed when I first pressed the Favorites tab. The other two seem to work fine, and will even update the distances live if I leave the tab open.

Just wondering if all cars are like this?

Also, these distances, are they navigated distances, or 'as the the crow flies'? I get the feeling they are straight line and not navigated.

I found this glitch on my car and just wondering if everyone has it...

When I press Maps > Places ...there are 3 tabs, Favorites, Superchargers, and Recents. SCs and Recents seem to work fine, but when I press favorites the distances from each never change from that point on, no matter how far I travel (towards or away from them). Even if I click away and then back they are stuck on the original distance that they showed when I first pressed the Favorites tab. The other two seem to work fine, and will even update the distances live if I leave the tab open.

Just wondering if all cars are like this?

Also, these distances, are they navigated distances, or 'as the the crow flies'? I get the feeling they are straight line and not navigated.

I have to check my car next time I drive to be able to tell regarding to your first question.

Regarding your second question, the distance you see are straight line distances. There is no way the car could tell the navigated distances unless it actually navigates and calculates the actual driving distance.

I just tested this on my lunch break and can confirm your findings. I tried various things to see if they would reset the distance, like choosing a different nav destination and so on and the only thing I could find that forces it to recalculate is shifting into park. Based on how the Supercharger tab works, I'd call this a bug.

That is something that irks me about many SatNav systems nowadays. Is it really that hard to do an estimated trip to provide a more reasonable estimate on distance or travel time? None of my current systems do that, but about seven years ago, my cheap windshield unit did that for waypoints. Not the same as here from a standstill, but probably programmatically similar. When on a route and asked about waypoints, it did NOT give a distance and time "as the crow flies", but distance and time from your current route. So even if something was 1 mile behind me on the interstate, it would include time to go to the next exit, circle around, and travel back -- so it showed up as 4 miles or whatever from me even though it's only 1 as the crow flies. Made things much easier when searching for gas stations or restaurants as every other SatNav we've had, we have to use mental cycles to calculate which waypoint is more efficient to go to, which may not necessarily be the shortest listed distance one. It would be great if the Nav system in the Tesla assumed the default recommended route between your current location and the waypoint in its distance/time estimations. But then again, there are many things that would improve the Tesla Nav system like allow for a route through a waypoint in the first place! Ok, off my soapbox.

The distance displayed is as-the-crow-flies. It doesn't know the actual distance until it calculates a route.

Yes, this is particularly irksome for us in California who want to travel east. When the Bishop Supercharger becomes a reality, Bishop is a mere 90-some miles from our house as the crow flies. However, there is this giant rock between us and the Eastern State, so the real route (especially during winter) is something like 240 miles when Tioga Road is open and 350 miles otherwise.

There must be a better solution for this software!

That's why I feel that search results and waypoints should be listed based on the default route. This will only be an estimate and you could take a very different route, but it would be MUCH closer to a worthwhile estimate than "as the crow flies", even when the default route is inefficient and you would take a different route.