Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your thoughts on who would win, P85 or Mustang 5.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I passed by a mustang 5.0 (~2014ish I think) last night while driving at 75mph. When he was 4 cars behind me, he floored it to catch up and get ahead of me. I didn't entertain because I'm no racer plus my wife was sleeping. But for some of you who knows about cars, hypothetically speaking, if I entertained him and try to 'race,' who would win after a a mile or two? :confused:

At speeds over 60MPH you can notice the drop in torque and power compared to 0-60MPH, so at higher speeds you are no match for ICE cars.
Everytime I press the pedal to the floor and speed reaches 75MPH or so, the car automatically limits my power down to almost 160kW regardless of SoC and I assume that is some sort of safety.

At speeds over 60MPH you can notice the drop in torque and power compared to 0-60MPH, so at higher speeds you are no match for ICE cars.
Everytime I press the pedal to the floor and speed reaches 75MPH or so, the car automatically limits my power down to almost 160kW regardless of SoC and I assume that is some sort of safety.

I will have to try this for myself. I seem to remember getting from 50 to "over" 80 in a few seconds in my P85D.

About a month after I got my S85 two years ago, I had a BMW 3-series take me on on the freeway. He kept pulling in front of me and slowing down, only to speed up when I moved over to pass. Obviously wanted to race. I was already doing about 70 MPH, but he did pull away from me. I think I could have easily taken a 3-series from a stop, but once underway it's a different story. Not sure how a P85 would have fared in the same circumstances, but my impression of them from a few loaners I've had is that they're much quicker from a stop, but once at highway speed, there's not a lot of difference between the S and the P. The P85D is likely in a whole different league.

About a month after I got my S85 two years ago, I had a BMW 3-series take me on on the freeway. He kept pulling in front of me and slowing down, only to speed up when I moved over to pass. Obviously wanted to race. I was already doing about 70 MPH, but he did pull away from me. I think I could have easily taken a 3-series from a stop, but once underway it's a different story. Not sure how a P85 would have fared in the same circumstances, but my impression of them from a few loaners I've had is that they're much quicker from a stop, but once at highway speed, there's not a lot of difference between the S and the P. The P85D is likely in a whole different league.
Actually, the P85 holds a ~10% lead over the S85 all the way up through 100 (though is ~60% faster to 30).
0-30 times for various Model S configurations ? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Most people would be able to feel a 10% difference back-to-back, but certainly that substantially-faster low end would distort that ability.

I dont think 3-series has a chance against P85
If trap speed is any indication of power, P85 traps at 110mph, while 335i is at 105
This means, at 1/4 mark while being at 110mph, Tesla is still pulling away from 335i
Maybe somewhere after 120-130 bimmer would gain on P85, but who knows

From 50-90 P85 would murder either Stang or 3-er

P.S. Just something to keep in mind. 335i is easy to tune, and a lot of them are running over 400hp
I had one, and it definitely wakes up after tune
So, you may come across one without realizing it

At Fontana Speedway a few weeks ago, I gave that Mustang about a 5 car jump as I slept at the green light. At 60' he had me by 1.619 to 1.682, at 1/8th mile he was going 84.34 to my 91.72 and finally I had him at 11.736 to 12.375. I went 112.44 to his 102.23. Strangely, at that speed, my P-85D was pulling very hard, more so than I expected. Now thinking about the Thursday nite street drags at Irwindale. Might be fun...
old geezer

you are correct about the 0-60 and I agree that over 60 we don't have as much torque BUT I've easily gotten my car up to 133 and there was no limiter in sight. (Yes I know the car is supposed to be top speed of 130 but I've gotten it to 133 on several occasions.) I've played with several of these mustangs and only one has blown me away a Shelby with nitris (and he used it)

3 series will not stand a chance from a stop as most of them are pretty slow. If the Mustang it a GT (which there are a lot of), it will be closer. Last comparison I saw between the Mustang GT and the M3, the GT out accelerated, out braked and pulled more G's on the skid pad than the M3.

you are correct about the 0-60 and I agree that over 60 we don't have as much torque BUT I've easily gotten my car up to 133 and there was no limiter in sight. (Yes I know the car is supposed to be top speed of 130 but I've gotten it to 133 on several occasions.) I've played with several of these mustangs and only one has blown me away a Shelby with nitris (and he used it)

I find this weird, every time I step on the pedal and as soon as it passes ~75MPH mark the limiter shows up and stays until I drop below that mark. I had an experience few days ago with an Audi S4 or RS4 and the car limited me to about 160kW mark after just 60 seconds or so and it stayed there for a few minutes, I guess it heated up the batter or the drivetrain. We didn't even go over 100MPH or anything crazy.
I've reached once 120MPH before and it felt very slow to get there from as the limiter was constantly there after I passed ~75MPH and the higher the speed the lower the dotted line was moving lower on the kW.

I've always wondered if this is only me or it's for all cars.

I find this weird, every time I step on the pedal and as soon as it passes ~75MPH mark the limiter shows up and stays until I drop below that mark. I had an experience few days ago with an Audi S4 or RS4 and the car limited me to about 160kW mark after just 60 seconds or so and it stayed there for a few minutes, I guess it heated up the batter or the drivetrain. We didn't even go over 100MPH or anything crazy.
I've reached once 120MPH before and it felt very slow to get there from as the limiter was constantly there after I passed ~75MPH and the higher the speed the lower the dotted line was moving lower on the kW.

I've always wondered if this is only me or it's for all cars.

i have a P85 @sickfox
tomorrow if I get a chance I'll pop her up to over 100 and take a pic of it. I will say this...I had this same type of limiter you have back in April of last year..and a week later got a new drive unit because after the limiter the dreaded clunk started. I drive at 75 on the freeways here 70mph is the speed limit so 5-10 over is acceptable and have never been limied even with sustained 80mph.

i have a P85 @sickfox
tomorrow if I get a chance I'll pop her up to over 100 and take a pic of it. I will say this...I had this same type of limiter you have back in April of last year..and a week later got a new drive unit because after the limiter the dreaded clunk started. I drive at 75 on the freeways here 70mph is the speed limit so 5-10 over is acceptable and have never been limied even with sustained 80mph.

You can sustain 80MPH easily, the issue comes when you floor it, 80MPH takes about 30-40kW to be sustained depending on terrain, but if you're at driving at ~75MPH and floor the car limiter dot shows instantly and reduces your power to slightly above 160kW. This doesn't happen if you're driving let's say 50MPH and floor the car, in that case limiter will pop as soon as you pass that ~75MPH area.
I hope I'm being clear enough :)

Yes, I've also gotten mine to 133 mph. That seems to be the current limit.

I've got the P85D. Obviously it's one of the fastest 0-60, but I also haven't had a car yet that was faster 60-90 mph, but it may just have been inexperienced drivers. But the drop in torque is definitely noticeable above about 70 mph, and after that it's just a very fast car to 133.