Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear reflectors replaced with led

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone tried these out ?

saw these on ebay

Red Lens Rear Bumper Reflector LED Tail Stop Brake Light For 2012+ Tesla Model S

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... Can't post a link from eBay from my iPad? Maybe someone can help with that... Pictures show it better.

2X Red Lens Rear Bumper Reflector LED Tail Stop Brake Light 2012 Tesla Model S | eBay

Interesting, looks cool, but would it be legal?

One source where it seems iffy: RCW 46.37.030: Visibility distance and mounted height of lamps.

RCW 46.37.030 Visibility distance and mounted height of lamps.
(1) Whenever requirement is hereinafter declared as to distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible or within which such lamps or devices shall be visible, said provisions shall apply during the times stated in RCW 46.37.020 in respect to a vehicle without load when upon a straight, level, unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different time or condition is expressly stated.

(2) Whenever requirement is hereinafter declared as to the mounted height of lamps or devices it shall mean from the center of such lamp or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands when such vehicle is without a load.

(3) No additional lamp, reflective device, or other motor vehicle equipment shall be added which impairs the effectiveness of this standard.
[1977 ex.s. c 355 § 3; 1961 c 12 § 46.37.030. Prior: 1955 c 269 § 3; prior: 1937 c 189 § 14, part; RRS § 6360-14, part; RCW 46.40.010, part.]

Last edited:
Not sure why you're concerned with Washington law in BC but I think you're citing the wrong bit of the code.

I don't see anything in RCW 46.37.030 that would prevent the use of something like this unless you're arguing that this impairs the effectiveness of the other lights, which I doubt.

However, I'm not sure it meets this RCW 46.37.050 (2):

2) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches.

Ok, weird. Msg Nr. 2 in this thread ... why, all of a sudden, are the action "buttons" (Reply, etc.) to the left?

And under this message too? But not the message immediately following 2.

And having added this line ^, the formatting is back to normal?

Last edited:
Ok, weird. Msg Nr,. 2 in this thread ... why, all of a sudden, are the action "buttons" (Reply, etc.) to the left?

And under this message too? But not the message immediately following 2.

And having added this line ^, the formatting is back to normal?
Maybe something odd with what I tried to paste on my iPad, will try and cleanup my post.

- - - Updated - - -

cleaned up my post. Something was weird for sure.

Interesting. I never payed much attention to the rear reflectors on the MS even after hand washing countless times. So what is the purpose of these low rear red reflectors anyway on the Model S?
To show vehicle's presence and width. Most vehicles low beam travelling behind someone (or approaching a stopped vehicle) will cause a reflection. This aids the driver to have a better understanding that a vehicle is in front of them and roughly how wide it is, where it is on the road, and judge how much distance, if its stopped or moving, etc.

So what is the purpose of these low rear red reflectors anyway on the Model S?

It's a requirement that cars have red reflectors like this. Cars parked at the side of the road can bee seen at night, and cars with lights turned off or burned out etc. can be seen. Some cars have the reflector incorporated into the tail light assembly itself while others are separate like the Model S. It is also a requirement to have side reflectors as well (yellow at the front side and red at the rear side).

It's a requirement that cars have red reflectors like this. Cars parked at the side of the road can bee seen at night, and cars with lights turned off or burned out etc. can be seen. Some cars have the reflector incorporated into the tail light assembly itself while others are separate like the Model S. It is also a requirement to have side reflectors as well (yellow at the front side and red at the rear side).

Call me crazy, but my Model S doesn't have yellow side reflectors at the front.

Thanks for the clarification as to the purpose of these low mounted reflectors. I can't seem to envision anything similar on other vehicles though like this and I guess where I'm going is what other makes or models have their own stand alone positioned and mounted reflectors just as the Tesla MS?

Thanks for the clarification as to the purpose of these low mounted reflectors. I can't seem to envision anything similar on other vehicles though like this and I guess where I'm going is what other makes or models have their own stand alone positioned and mounted reflectors just as the Tesla MS?

In my casual observations, about half of the vehicles I see have the rear retroreflector separate like on the Model S and the other half have it incorporated into the rear tail light assembly.

My former Cadillac CTS was like the Model S:

cadillac-cts-v-coupe-black-diamond-edition-20121.jpg

My wife's Pontiac Vibe has it incorporated into the tail light:

2003-pontiac-vibe-4-door-hb-tail-light_100289800_m.jpg

That add needed to show... ya know... some of them ACTUALLY INSTALLED in an S.

(even if they do break regulations and I never buy a set... I just want to see what they look like installed, not just a shot of them loose next to a stock Model S image (and a rendered on at that....)

Last edited:
Is it even legal to put lights there?

I think it is. In fact Cadillac replaces them (located similarly to the Model S) with rear fog lights in the EU market, but I think they combine the retroreflector and fog light into the assembly as opposed to just the reflector in North America. The problem with these eBay items is that they don't seem to have a reflector incorporated into the design, so there might be a concern there.