Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Apple event 3/9/2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping some of the battery experts can explain the new chemistry & "sheet" design in the new Macbook.
993abb1dd33661d45de4a6d8ef831e98a1487a32_xlarge.jpg

I wonder how they managed to design it without a fan so that the components don't overheat.
Well Phil said the CPU only dissipates 5 watts, and they've got that big aluminum clamshell to radiate it from. Instead of using improvements in silicon to drive performance up in this generation, they're driving size down.

- - - Updated - - -

The new Macbook is very interesting (especially for the above mentioned battery layering), but the price is quite high. I liked the new Macbook very much though. Apple Watch was boring.
Yeah, they could have skipped the whole Watch thing. ("Just go back and watch the original Apple Watch launch. Imagine we did that again for 45 minutes.")

The MacBook is indeed interesting, although it creates an obvious inversion in the product line. I assume the MacBook Air is not long for this world. "Um, so the 'Air' is heavier than the 'not-Air'? Oh kaaay." Also, sic transit gloria Thunderbolt, that didn't last long.

I want someone (not me) to go back and count how many times someone said some variant on "beautiful" during the event. What was the maximum number of seconds that elapsed between mentions?

The new Macbook is very interesting (especially for the above mentioned battery layering), but the price is quite high. I liked the new Macbook very much though. Apple Watch was boring.

I thought the base price of the new MacBook was astonishingly low and the technology is stunning.

The Watch amazes me. It seems impossible to produce that product at that price point. And yes, I want one, and I haven't worn a watch for over two decades.

For months I have been telling myself to wait for iWatch2 but I have a feeling I will pick one up soon after launch, use it for a year then hand it down to my son...he will be thrilled & get the new version :biggrin:.

I thought the base price of the new MacBook was astonishingly low and the technology is stunning.

The Watch amazes me. It seems impossible to produce that product at that price point. And yes, I want one, and I haven't worn a watch for over two decades.

I guess I'm just used to paying $800 for a Windows notebook, because $1300-$1600 seems like a lot for a computer, albeit one that is the absolute state of the art in its design.

Where the Watch is concerned, I just don't feel like any of the apps would better my life significantly, though I'll give Apple another generation or two before I make a final judgment on this category of products.

As weird as this sounds, an Apple event just feels sleepy now compared to something like the Tesla "D" party, which had insane crowds, insane cars, and a giant Titan robot showing off the latest Tesla chassis & powertrain.

I guess I'm just used to paying $800 for a Windows notebook, because $1300-$1600 seems like a lot for a computer, albeit one that is the absolute state of the art in its design.
If you don't need the absolute latest models, then check out the refurb section on the Apple store. Same device as new, same warranty as new. Only differences I've ever found were the box it comes in is plain brown cardboard and not the fancy ones in the retail stores. And the prices are 10 to 25% cheaper!

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

I've bought a lot of Apple gear over the years, always refurb. Never had a problem.

The refurb inventory changes daily, as do the prices.

I've owned an iMac for one year now. And yes it was about four times as much as a comparable PC BUT how many times has it crashed? ZERO. How many times has my hubbys brand new PC crashed? Well TODAY twice.

Apple makes a great product. I should also mention my mom has one of the first Mac computers circa 1989ish and it still turns on and plays old games. How many pcs could still do that?

Iwatch am am I really the only one that thought $500 for a watch is a lot?