Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PAST EVENT: ROAD TRIP: Mote Marine to Florida Aquarium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
THE FOLLOWING EVENT IS EXCLUSIVE TO FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIAST CLUB MEMBERS AND INVITATIONS HAVE BEEN SENT TO THE ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP. WE HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED RSVPs AND HAVE REACHED THE LIMIT OF 40 PEOPLE (MEMBERS PLUS THEIR GUESTS). HOWEVER, WE WILL PUT CLUB MEMBERS ON A WAITING LIST IN THE EVENT THAT SOME CLUB MEMBERS HAVE TO CANCEL THEIR RESERVATIONS.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS EVENT, BUT NOT CURRENTLY A FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIAST CLUB MEMBER, YOU CAN JOIN THE CLUB AND BE PUT ON THE WAITING LIST FOR THIS EVENT. TO JOIN PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK TO FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS IN MY SIGNATURE.

This will be an all day, three-location event.

We must arrive and leave promptly at each location to assure that we will be able to arrive in time for all events.

It will start at Mote Marine Aquarium at 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota on March 28th at 8:30 am.

Mote trustee and club officer Nigel Mould is graciously sponsoring a buffet breakfast at Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota for our club members. Mote President & CEO, Dr. Michael P. Crosby will be joining us and will provide a presentation. Breakfast will be served in the Hendry Room so we can enjoy Mote’s special exhibit Oh Baby! Life Cycles of the Seas before the Aquarium opens at 10 a.m. to the public. We will be leaving no later than 10:30 am. Mote Marine has some charging facilities, if you need a charge please hook up when you arrive.

We will then be forming a caravan and will drive to the Brandon Supercharger at Regency Square Mall at 2400 W Brandon Blvd Brandon where we will be having lunch. You will have the option of having lunch at The Red Lobster, The Olive Garden or the Kobe Japanese Steakhouse. The distance is 67 miles and it should take about an hour and a half to make the trip. For those who need a charge, make sure that you connect at the Superchargers before going to the restaurants.

After lunch we will promptly assemble at the Superchargers and leave at no later than 1:15 pm for the Florida Aquarium for a catamaran cruise. The catamaran leaves at 2:15 pm we will NOT be able to hold the boat for stragglers.

When we arrive at The Florida Aquarium, at 701 Channelside Dr, Tampa, we will be taking a Wild Dolphin Cruise aboard a 72-foot catamaran. The cruise will be guided by one of The Florida Aquarium’s experienced naturalists. The ship is air-conditioned inside with two restrooms. Snacks, drinks, beer, and wine are available for purchase at the bar. When we return you will be free and encouraged to enjoy The Florida Aquarium for the rest of the day.

The Florida Aquarium has graciously agreed to waive the costs of parking, aquarium admission for our club and the catamaran cruise which normally cost $56 per person. Likewise the approximate costs a Mote continental breakfast and aquarium tour are normally $27 per person.

These are non-profit organizations doing good work and donations are strongly encouraged.

Larry

Last edited:
A good time was had by all

Here's a few photos of the event.

Nigel Mould.jpg

Mote Trustee and club officer Nigel introducing Mote speakers

Dr Michael Crosby.jpg

Dr. Michael Crosby, President & CEO of Mote Marine

Dr Nick Whitney.jpg

Dr. Nick Whitney Mote researcher

Breakfast at Mote.jpg

Breakfast at Mote Marine

Brandon Supercharger 2.jpg

Meeting at the Brandon Superchargers

Lunch at Kobe.jpg

Lunch at Kobe Japanese Steakhouse

Larry

Last edited:
More fun at The Florida Aquarium

More photos.

Dolphin Cruise artwork.jpg

Dolphin Cruise Artwork

Barbara and Jim Reno.jpg

Barbara and Jim

Binh Erol and Steve.jpg

Binh, Erol and Steve

Bob and Karen Hodgen.jpg

Bob and Karen

Cindy and Tom Rynalski.jpg

Cindy and Tom

Dharshi and Warren.jpg

Dharshi and Warren

Greg Pech.jpg

Paulina, Cinthya and Greg

Selina.jpg

Selina, Christoff and Mike

Tara and Randy Richards.jpg

Tara and Randy

Donna and Paul Witt.jpg

Donna and Paul

Richard and Joe.jpg

Richard and Joe

Erin.jpg

Erin

John Edward Alley.jpg

John-Edward

Last edited:
Larry,
Thanks for posting the photos and adding names. What a great group of people! We are now looking forward to a return to Club Med. Randy & Tara

Hi Randy & Tara,

Right now I'm spending a huge amount of time on dealing with members who are delinquent on paying their dues, but as soon as I get out from under that task I intend to contact Club Med to see if we can do another weekend get away before September.

While on the Wild Dolphin Cruise, my wife Mary Ellen learned that a number of club members were interested on going on a group cruise. Mary Ellen volunteered to research this idea and when she has the details worked out I will send out a polling invitation to see the level of interest.

If anyone has any additional ideas on possible club events, please let me know. You can start a new thread here on TMC or send me an email at [email protected].

Larry