Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transform your drive on 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the years I have changed tyres and wheels on lots of cars for both road and track use. I just didn't seem to be able to get to grips with the 19" Goodyears. It's not that they were bad per se, they were just a bit

DSC_2401.jpg

Even though the damping was fine, the car felt a bit loose at the front at motorway speeds which made it feel "floaty" at times. I couldn't lean on the fronts turning in to a corner as the car tended to start to wash out (understeer) if you pressed it and there was hardly any feel through the steering to help gauge how much grip was available.

In the end it was a toss up between Contis and Michelins, so I went for

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 21.49.26.png

Wow! I've never had a set of tyres alone so completely alter and improve a car.

> Steering feel is there now and you can feel how much grip you've got
> Turn in is excellent and you can accelerate through a corner using the torque to balance the car for a clean exit on full power
> "Floatiness" is a thing of the past. The car feels well planted at all times
> The ride is better
> Wet grip is excellent
> They are quieter on all surfaces

In short, I am really, really happy after 3,000 miles.

Initially I thought they must have a higher rolling resistance than the Goodyears because I have gone up from averaging 405 w/mile to 420 w/mile. Then I realised, I am at least 10mph faster everywhere because the car feels so much better!

I have tried differential front and rear tyre pressures and going up to 45psi all round and I have come to the conclusion that the factory recommended 42 psi cold all round works best (I'm on coil springs)

When your Goodyears are shot I can't recommend these too highly. I paid £799.00 for four, fitted.

Nice write up.

When mine are due for replacement, I'll definitely look into these!

I find the whole car a little unpredictable TBH, sometimes it understeers, others the back-end shimmys when it gets upset by minor imperfections.

I am surprised by your usage though. I'm at 375wH/mi lifetime average, and it's only that high because the car definitely uses loads more on short journeys when it's cold. Back when the temperature was 15c+ I was getting <300wH/mi on my 8 mile commute. On a decent run I'm seeing c.340-350, even at 70+ mph, with the lights on A/C going etc.

I installed the Michelin PS3's on 19" Rial Lugano's new in Winter 2013. They seemed very good that winter. We even drove from Chicago to Florida through some very intense weather (northern route via Northern Indiana, Washington D.C. and down east coast since superchargers were still rare then). They handled deep snow and ice very well. And I don't remember any excess tire noise back then.
But when I put them back on this winter, they were very loud. The only thing I can guess is that I maybe mixed up the rotation when reinstalling them? I was just about to have Tesla service check the drive train, as I was beginning to think that tire noise alone could not be that loud. Yesterday I put my 21" summer Michelin Pilot Sports back on. Couldn't believe how quiet the car is again.

Hello DCWitt,
The bitumen compound used in road making is different in the US from the UK and Europe. Michelin and all the manufacturers use different rubber compounds on either side of the pond to compensate, so it isn't possible to compare the US product with the tyres we get in Europe. After 5,000 miles I still think the European Michelins are quieter than the Goodyears (as well as better in every other way).

- - - Updated - - -

Hello SMAC
I have to admit it's rare that someone passes me when the traffic is moving, must be that instant torque.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello DCWitt,
The bitumen compound used in road making is different in the US from the UK and Europe. Michelin and all the manufacturers use different rubber compounds on either side of the pond to compensate, so it isn't possible to compare the US product with the tyres we get in Europe. After 5,000 miles I still think the European Michelins are quieter than the Goodyears (as well as better in every other way).

But our cars are built in the US, shipped over with tyres already fitted, and in the case of the 19" wheels, with a tyre model that is not currently sold in Europe!

This is interesting, when we picked up on Sunday the weather was awful, heavy rain & really bad wind, so on the journey home the car did indeed feel a bit light & floaty. Today, i have taken her out for a good spin, A & B roads, D/C & Motorway. I have a " progressive " driving style & have come to the conclusion, that the All Season Goodyears are a worthy tyre but for someone used to pushing a vehicle a little they probably are not the best. I had a similar issue when we got the OH's Lexus, it was fitted with Conti's on the front & Bridgestones on the rear, running 245's all round, we live in a little rural village with narrow steep hills, the car would tramline & feel every stone it went over, also the wet/ice grip was pants. As the good lady is a rather leisurely driver I fitted her out with 225 All Season Goodyears which suited her perfectly & she notched up 40k in 30 months & never skipped a beat. In summary, we need two sets of wheels & tyres, one for her & one for me. I may seriously consider doing so, when we drive down to the south of france in summer. With a full load & luggage i would seriously want to know i have some serious rubber under me. I've often found that considering its the only part of a vehicle in contact with the road its regularly neglected. Not on here i see.

I thought i would post this as its a thread running on the facebook page. I have managed to do a deal with a company called Merityre who are nationwide. The manager at their store in Little Chalfont has agreed to supply 4x michelin pilot sport 3 on 19's for £600 including Vat exc fitting. He is also going to store my winter tyres foc. Seems a bargain to me. Just mention me ( James Ginnelly & Tesla) for a similar deal. Also, i dont know if this is across the board but they use Nitrogen to fill all their tyres which is far better for leakage.