Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Results after driving my tesla for 16 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Tesla Model SP85+ in November 2013 and have driven more than 26,000 miles since then. I am located in Boca Raton, Florida and drive almost 2,000 miles per month. My previous car was a Mercedes Benz S550 which is a great driving machine but it is expensive to operate. Both cars cost about the same. I paid for my Tesla about $137K with all the options but the rear facing setas. In the MB I used to spend about $400 per month just for fuel, then came the Service A, B and C which are already expensive, without throwing in extra items like: brakes ($646), or other serviceable parts.
I installed an 80amp Tesla charger in my house where I charge 90% of the time, as there are no superchargers in the Miami area yet, but have been surprised by many Hotels that have free charging stations for their customers (Mandarin Oriental for example). Although I have no independent meter to calculate just the KW consumed by the Tesla, its very easy to compare with my previous electricity bills. I pay now about $60 to $80 extra per month (depending on how many miles I drive) in my electricity bill. So there you get your first $330 in savings right away, but what people don't understand and I have realized is that my beautiful Tesla is almost maintenance free! I have only changed the rear tires in more than 26,000 miles of fun driving. That is where you get the real savings: Mainteneance: No oil, no spark plugs, no "tune ups", no $150 navigation CD updates, no expensive brake pads, etc It's just a FANTASTIC piece of equipment!. And the best of all: It's exhilarating and fun to drive. You always find your destination thanks to Google maps, you see real time traffic and get detours to get to your destination faster, you can hear all the music you want, hear to radio stations from all over the world!.
Congratulations Tesla Team! I'm a 100% satisfied customer and I don't think I'll ever go back to combustion engines again. In fact, I will soon give my current Tesla to my son as soon as he graduates and then get my model P85D. Then comes my wife.....she wants also one :scared:

Your son will love this! I miss Boca Raton. I used to work there back and remember that fuel costs quickly add up, even back then. I keep hearing all the great things about a Tesla and am excited for when I end up finding the right non-P S85 for our house. Right now I am enjoying another cup of coffee before I take the ICE out for an oil change; loving the coffee, but would rather have another cup than head out! Have you don't road trips with the car? Any thoughts on that? Part of our planned savings would be that that we drive from NC to Fort Lauderdale on occasion rather than flying. Currently, at 20 MPG, it isn't worth it to us to take drive and fly down and use one of my parent's cars while down there.