Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Price UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gone SLC to Green River directly, and Green River to SLC directly, many times in an S85. The way back is usually a bit close, but I've never felt like I wasn't going to make it. Though I'm happy if this is true, will make this a mindless trip.

I am surprised there is going to be one there. The canyon is quite well patrolled, and is 60 MPH. I actually got the highest fuel economy ever in my Volt driving from Green River to Salt Lake at 58 mpg.

Mmh how close? Making this drive soon so Price would be an anxiety reducer for the wife.

Larry, I keep a log of most of my trips, so I can actually provide you with pretty accurate data:

//August
Taylorsville, UT (5400 S 3200 W) to Green River:
Beginning Rated Miles: 254RM
End Rated Miles: 74RM
Total Distance: 178.4Mi
Total Used RM: 180RM
Average Speed: ---MPH
Watt-hours per mile: 262wh/mi

Green River to Taylorsville, UT (5400 S 3200 W):

Beginning Rated Miles: 257
End Rated Miles: 73RM
Total Distance: 177.8Mi
Total Used RM: 184RM
Average Speed: ---MPH
Watt-hours per mile: 292wh/mi

//October
Taylorsville, UT (5400 S 3200 W) to Green River:
Beginning Rated Miles: 261RM
End Rated Miles: 53RM
Total Distance: 178Mi
Total Used RM: 208RM
Average Speed: 62MPH
Watt-hours per mile: 322wh/mi

Green River to Taylorsville, UT (5400 S 3200 W):

Beginning Rated Miles: 262RM
End Rated Miles: 29RM
Total Distance: 181.6Mi
Total Used RM: 233RM
Average Speed: 54MPH
Watt-hours per mile: 368wh/mi

With I-80 done from the Bay Area to SLC, I-84 on the way from the Pacific NW to SLC, and I-80 east of SLC not happening until 2016, this will be a great short-cut from SLC to points east on I-70! It's great that Tesla is thinking this wey!

The most important quote, "The station will be near the Holiday Inn Express at 923 West Westwood Blvd." Now Price can get a blue dot on Supercharge.Info.

The only question is why ?
SLC to Green River is doable on a single charge. More than one person has done this before without problem. Seems like Twin Falls would have been a lot more useful right now.

At 180 miles, SLC to Green River is too far in the winter, especially with quick charge times. I doubt that this is either/or, and we just have not found out about Twin Falls, yet.

S60 in winter would be a challenge to make from SLC to GR or vise versa.

/edit Also I've been to the spot where the charger is going several times. It happens to be a good bathroom break spot between SLC in GR. There's a decent restaurant there in the hotel as well. Not much else close by though.

Not to mention that the closer Tesla spaces their Superchargers the more charging options we get, especially with clement weather. Travelers from Interstate 80 down to Interstate 70 will now have an option of skipping Green River between Price and Grand Junction (60s excluded.) I think this is a practical approach, as it will take some of the stress off supercharging if we are given options in planning our charging stops.

We stopped by the site at Price on July 18. The Holiday Inn Express was clearly JUST completed. It appeared that one corner of the parking lot was left without a curb or landscaping, and we presume that the supercharger will go there. We found no other evidence of construction, and were in a hurry to continue our long drive, so did not query the staff. It is a nice spot, very easy to find off the highway.

thumb_IMG_5257_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5258_1024.jpg