Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Woz in new Cadilac commericial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

napabill

Supporting Member
Here is a quote from Steve Wozniak last November:
"We love it (the Tesla MS) more than any other car we have. The car is not only great, but you get free charging on the road and free Internet for the life of the car. "

So what gives with him being featured in the "Dare to be Great" Cadilac ad campaign? Must have made him a "Godfather" offer. And here I thought he was not driven by money. Sigh.

I saw the ad, is that definitely Woz? I thought it was an attempt to stunt double Woz. Cadillac had an ad out a year or so ago, claiming it was innovative and came from the garage, like the original Apple. The irony of that ad was that Tesla came from a prior GM factory...

So what gives with him being featured in the "Dare to be Great" Cadilac ad campaign? Must have made him a "Godfather" offer. And here I thought he was not driven by money. Sigh.
I don't believe that Wozniak was in a Cadillac ad. Most likely someone who happens to look like him.

He does love his Model S, and he surely has no interest I getting money from GM to endorse Cadillac.

If GM deliberately choose an actor who looks like Woz, then that is despicable, but since only a small percentage of Americans would recognize him, and an even smaller percentage would know he owns a Tesla, that seems a very unlikely thing for GM to do.

Okay that didn't take long, so time to eat my words! I believe that is Woz in that video, and at the beginning his name is prominently shown. And at the end of the video is the Cadillac name and logo.

One assumes he was paid for that, but I perhaps he wasn't. Still, I am surprised that he did it, though he is known as a guy who will do all kinds of things just for fun.

I bet during that filmed interview he talked about his Model S and that part was cut.

I'm not sure they would have paid him for that. They may have just asked him to do this series. It's certainly not like he is shilling for Cadillac and when he describes Apple as the upstart of an established industry and the future of the automobile, my mind goes to Tesla. Not Cadillac.

That commercial is the typical Madison Avenue BS that come out of those folks all the time. Can't crticize Woz for being part of it but it is total BS, well done BS, but BS nonetheless. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could turn to the talents of those folks to something worthwhile (like slowing climate change) instead of nonsense Cadillac commercials, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a theory about this commercial, based on its choice of music ("je ne regrette rien"). In the movie "Inception," whenever this particular song plays, it's a signal that it's time to wake up out of the dream. Everyone in the commercial is moving in slow motion, as if in a dream state. When Woz hears the music, it's through headphones and the tone is different for him than the other listeners. Therefore: this is Woz's dream, one in which he is planting the idea that Cadillac could reinvent itself as a successful maker of electric vehicles. This is highlighted by a clap of thunder (an incoming electrical storm) and rain, which symbolizes resistance to this idea.

I have a theory about this commercial, based on its choice of music ("je ne regrette rien"). In the movie "Inception," whenever this particular song plays, it's a signal that it's time to wake up out of the dream. Everyone in the commercial is moving in slow motion, as if in a dream state. When Woz hears the music, it's through headphones and the tone is different for him than the other listeners. Therefore: this is Woz's dream, one in which he is planting the idea that Cadillac could reinvent itself as a successful maker of electric vehicles. This is highlighted by a clap of thunder (an incoming electrical storm) and rain, which symbolizes resistance to this idea.
Yes, that has to be what the producers of the ad thought when they made it. Especially as "a clap of thunder" is the universal symbol of "resistance to ideas". :)

Yes, that has to be what the producers of the ad thought when they made it. Especially as "a clap of thunder" is the universal symbol of "resistance to ideas". :)
Not sure it has a universal meaning, but it certainly is a reference to the movie; in the first dream level, the rain was part of his defense mechanism. And assuming the producers of this commercial are deliberately referencing Inception, then the fact that Woz is lying down with headphones on, hearing this music, means that he is actually one level deeper than this and it's time for him to wake up. :smile:

Woz has shown to be a fan of good products and not brand loyal. He has and does use android phones in addition to iphones, for example. Shouldn't be a surprise that he might endorse compelling vehicles despite loving his Tesla. He's not a fanboy per say.