Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Government Car Park Charger Only 16A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I been told that without the dual charger I will only be able to my MS at 16A rating... is there any cheap solution to get 32A? As 16A is really slow

And now I found that the supercharger in Hong Kong is really not enough, getting more and more MS on road now... Sometime will need to wait 2-3 cars behind the supercharger

So I would rather car longer in government car park but 16A seem too slow

Yes it's never enough. My way of dealing with that is to go supercharging outside busy hours, e.g. sneak out for early lunch or meet people near SC locations ... etc. I heard there are more SC's being built so if you are not getting home-charging in the near future you may have to consider retrofitting a dual charger into your MS?!! At gov't parking like below image I get around 10% per hour.

IMG_3581.JPG

What??? Here in the states at least we charger at 40 amps (10KW) on a single charger. The dual charger is only used above 40 amps. That said MANY stations are limited to lower power. As I have yet to find a station above 6KW in the wild.

What??? Here in the states at least we charger at 40 amps (10KW) on a single charger. The dual charger is only used above 40 amps. That said MANY stations are limited to lower power. As I have yet to find a station above 6KW in the wild.

The US and European/Asian(ex Japan) charging systems are quite different. We get 3 phase support, but 16A limit on single phase with single chargers. Tesla giveth, and Tesla taketh away.

Dual chargers no longer come installed from factory. I was lucky enough to amend my order to get the cheaper dual charger that was factory installed recently. And then a few aago amended my 85D to next gen seat. So ya it so worth a try. I think factory installed dual chargers costs $11000HKD before.

Where did you get this news?
I made the order on 85D yesterday and no dual chargers option was available. I called TM sale and he confirmed that I can only get it installed in HK (which is likely >6k higher) after delivery :(

It's still possible to add the second charger, right? Might be worth it.

Dual charger is one of the most important items to get when you order the car:

- Even with superchargers, and charging at home, you never know when you might need it
- Resale value, moving house, other changes you either can or cannot control
- 2.5X higher price for a later retrofit

You can see a chart here #372 how it affects you if you only have a single AC charger on board.

I believe single charger is more than sufficient if you have charging at home/office especially in a small city like HK.

Even with just 220V/10A charging, you can drive at least 80KM per day every-single-day (assuming >=8 hours charge).
With the wall-connector installed at home/office (I believe is 16A max for single charger), you get at least 120KM per day with similar assumptions.

If you are a weekend driver, it'll definitely be a non-issue.

I believe single charger is more than sufficient if you have charging at home/office especially in a small city like HK.

Even with just 220V/10A charging, you can drive at least 80KM per day every-single-day (assuming >=8 hours charge).
With the wall-connector installed at home/office (I believe is 16A max for single charger), you get at least 120KM per day with similar assumptions.

If you are a weekend driver, it'll definitely be a non-issue.

Just to be 100% clear:

With the Tesla Wall Connector, even cars with single chargers can get 40A.

The 16A single charger single phase limit is only for non-Tesla (usually public) charging stations.

As DITB pointed out, see here for details: Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard - Page 38 (and that entire thread for the gory details).