Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Hpwc....please!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and No. a $122 savings is good deal, but how does the warranty work? a $822 gizmo with a 1 year warranty is scary enough...

I'd like one, but 40 amp charging meets 99% of my needs, and I don't carry the UMC in the car 24/7 anyway...

I'm sure at some point I'll end up with one, but at the moment my budget is tapped.

Yes and No. a $122 savings is good deal, but how does the warranty work? a $822 gizmo with a 1 year warranty is scary enough...

I'd like one, but 40 amp charging meets 99% of my needs, and I don't carry the UMC in the car 24/7 anyway...

I'm sure at some point I'll end up with one, but at the moment my budget is tapped.

Well, I'm a "business hardass". So, Warranties don't scare me.
Everything manufactured in the US has a sort of "hidden" manufacturer's warranty. So, despite the limit they impose on said item, of 1 year, if you speak loud enough, and through the right channels, you don't have to worry about your item being "out of warranty", and can get it serviced or replaced, regardless of whether it's out of warranty or not. I haven't spent a cent on my 60 since I bought it, and the warranty is still good, but I've bought other things, like cell phones, etc, that went WAY over warranty, and by speaking to the right people, at the right level, through the right channels, I've never had an issue.

40% amp meets 99% of my needs on a normal day. I'm a single parent, so I drop off my kid, go to work, go to lunch, pick up my kid, go to the store maybe, and come home. MANY times I've come home with 10 miles left in my battery.
As a matter of fact TODAY, I came home with 4%. So, if I come home, and I want to go somewhere, it'd be nice to only have to wait ONE hour to charge 56 miles, instead of 2, which would be the difference between being able to go to the grocery store or not.

I'm getting one in the next couple of weeks, and installing the dual charger. I'll let you know how it is.

No luck needed, chum. I've have exercised those consumer rights time and time again, including WITH Tesla. It's about having the balls, backbone and wherewithal to actually do it.

Chum? I haven't heard that term since I last watched an old movie. Very retro. :)

Most of us have found that Tesla does the right thing without going into it with an attitude. There is more than one tool to use - and sometimes you really don't have a leg to stand on, other than the goodwill of the company. My personal approach (though clearly not yours) is to not blow through all your cards right up front and use up all your options. (Though I have a hard time understanding why you need to be a "business hardass" with Tesla, since you state your warranty is still in effect.)

Chum? I haven't heard that term since I last watched an old movie. Very retro. :)

Most of us have found that Tesla does the right thing without going into it with an attitude. There is more than one tool to use - and sometimes you really don't have a leg to stand on, other than the goodwill of the company. My personal approach (though clearly not yours) is to not blow through all your cards right up front and use up all your options. (Though I have a hard time understanding why you need to be a "business hardass" with Tesla, since you state your warranty is still in effect.)

Well, I didn't mean I'm a "business hardass" WITH Tesla. In fact, they are one of the few organizations I haven't had to do it with. But with others, I have and I'm not afraid to - was my point. There's a lot of things that were NOT covered under warranty on my car that they replaced because I spoke up. Like, the rotors were rusty. Seriously, just rusty. They weren't making noise, or caused any issues with breaking. After I talked to them, without having to be an a-hole, just being assertive, they ended up replacing them entirely.
But other times, like when I bought my last phone (Sony Xperia), which I paid $650 cash. And after a year or so, the speakers weren't working right, and it was most definitely out of warranty, after I Was done speaking with them, and a couple of managers, I got the phone replaced. Not refurbished - replaced.

Sure, I'm not saying being the hardass is the only tool to use. And yes, Tesla, about 95% of the time I've owned my car, has done the right thing without going into it with an attitude. But for some things, a lot of customers don't know that they are entitled to them. And it's not necessarily technical, but is blanketed by morals, and responsibility.

I'll let you know if I have an instance of this soon.

-R