Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Reports: Tesla Model S Cross-Country Trip, Without (Many) Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting. I am planning a nearly completely SuperCharged trip from Omaha through Yellowstone to Portland and down to San Francisco, then back to NE late spring and this was very helpful and interesting.

I don't care how charming the proprietor was, if they tried to ding me an extra $20 for a charge that would be the last time I stayed there.

Would you balk at $10? How about $5?

I'd be fine with any charge slightly above, at, or slightly below the cost of electricity in that region. I'd prefer "free" as in we won't bother to charge you even though we have a posted rate but I wouldn't complain about a minimal surcharge.

I enjoyed David's trip report. To those of us who have made non-Supercharger road trips, it all sounds very familiar; and the flight-planning analogy is dead on the money.

I've paid from zero dollars all the way up to the overnight site fee (at an RV park) for charging in the wild. While I prefer 'free', I don't begrudge business owners the dollars I spend with them for charging: they provide me a needed service, and I negotiate the payment for that service in the cases where they have no established policy, or pay the established rate where there is one. On that far-off day when there are chargers in every parking lot...well, then we can afford to be choosy.

Last edited:
Like stevezzz, I have traveled extensively in the wild without aid of Superchargers, and think a minimal fee for equipment, installation and use of electricity is fair and appropriate for the business owner.
I want them to make a profit and remain a viable (open) business for the next time I or a fellow EVer travels that way.
And if the fee encourages their local competitors to add that type of convenience, so much the better.

While traveling through Utah last July before the Supercharger in St. George, UT came online I checked with one of the RV parks.
When I asked, they quoted/wanted what I felt was an outrageous amount.
I checked a bit more, and found a Best Western that gave me free charging for a couple of hours.
Turns out, they were not the only game in town.

For every capitalist, there is competition.
If somebody tries to gain too much too quickly, the market place will level the playing field.
Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

I also look to that far-off day when chargers are plentiful and a part of every new construction project and parking garage.
In the meantime, I just intend to be a smart shopper and keep on charging where it makes best sense.

80 kWh at a typical price of $0.15/kWh is $12. Add to that something to recoup the cost of installing the plug.

I wouldn't expect for an innkeeper to give me a free bottle of wine—though I certainly do remember those that have a free wine reception. Businesses need to weigh the promotional value of giving something away, be it wine or electricity, versus recovering their costs for those amenities.

Would you balk at $10? How about $5?

I'd be fine with any charge slightly above, at, or slightly below the cost of electricity in that region. I'd prefer "free" as in we won't bother to charge you even though we have a posted rate but I wouldn't complain about a minimal surcharge.

Perhaps this is a USA thing (Capitalism! Free Market! Yay!) but up here in Canada we tend to view EVSE like the free WIFI offered at hotels, restaurants and other businesses; as a value-added service that entices one to patronize that business over a similar one across the street which does not offer said service.

The vast majority of public charging up here is free. I drove across the whole country in my Model S this past year (over 25,000 km) and paid exactly $42 for fuel. And even that was only because one unit was located inside an airport parking garage where the charging was slow enough I needed to leave it overnight. The cost was technically for the parking. The electricity was free.

Even so, I would be open to paying $5 or $10 to charge if the service offered was better than others in the area (ie: 50kW DC) but I think at this point EVSE should be installed because the proprietor supports EVs and wants to see them thrive in their area, not because they want to make a few bucks.

Perhaps this is a USA thing (Capitalism! Free Market! Yay!) but up here in Canada we tend to view EVSE like the free WIFI offered at hotels, restaurants and other businesses; as a value-added service that entices one to patronize that business over a similar one across the street which does not offer said service.
Have you ever paid extra at a hotel for cable? For internet? For wifi? For breakfast?

"Early adopters" (of hotel amenities) often pay a little extra for "new". Over time it becomes "not new" and "standard equipment". And yes, this is how capitalism and free market work so I'm not really clear why you seem to be scoffing at it. (Demand's another part of the equation of course... I doubt we'll see Diesel plugs become "standard equipment" at hotels anytime.)

If it's the only charging spot of merit (110V is not "of merit"), $20 is a trivial expense for retaining sanity.

Have you ever paid extra at a hotel for cable? For internet? For wifi? For breakfast?

"Early adopters" (of hotel amenities) often pay a little extra for "new". Over time it becomes "not new" and "standard equipment". And yes, this is how capitalism and free market work so I'm not really clear why you seem to be scoffing at it. (Demand's another part of the equation of course... I doubt we'll see Diesel plugs become "standard equipment" at hotels anytime.)

If it's the only charging spot of merit (110V is not "of merit"), $20 is a trivial expense for retaining sanity.

It's also part of the normal course of business for the customers to whine about the extra costs, especially where the price seems out of line with the cost!

There's nothing wrong with that. It's what pushes businesses to do better.

The analogy to WiFi is tempting but incomplete. There is no incremental out-of-pocket cost when another customer uses your WiFi, but electricity isn't free. Brianman's analogy to free breakfast, or mine of free wine, is more apt. There are examples of each being offered as incentives for customers, but it's far from universal.